Author Topic: Kid poses in armor and sword for yearbook photo  (Read 3523 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Kid poses in armor and sword for yearbook photo
« on: January 22, 2007, 07:25:43 PM »
The SCA is a interesting group. Like a RenFair on steroids. When I was taking fencing we had a match against them. Not super skilled, but enthusiastic. Here's the link to their website. http://www.sca.org/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16725299/

Rhode Island official orders high school to allow photo in yearbook

Updated: 5:57 p.m. PT Jan 20, 2007
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Rhode Island's education commissioner has ordered a high school to publish a yearbook photo showing a teenager with a sword.

The 17-year-old is a fan of the Middle Ages, so he wore chain mail and slung a prop sword over his shoulder for his senior portrait. Portsmouth High School officials rejected the picture, saying it violated their zero-tolerance policy on weapons.

The American Civil Liberties Union got involved. Its lawyers argued the school has allowed students to pose for more than a decade with props that show their interests, including musical instruments and horses.

A state education hearing officer added that past editions of the yearbook have had pictures of other items banned by school rules, including a corn-cob pipe, liquor bottles, a beer stein, toy guns, arrows and a knife.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

In this 2006 photo released by Heidi Farrington, her son, Portsmouth High School senior Patrick Agin, 17, is shown in his Society for Creative Anachronism costume in Portsmouth, R.I. Portsmouth High rejected the photo for use in the school yearbook.
 View related photos
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Kid poses in armor and sword for yearbook photo
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 07:29:54 PM »
Aww...  How come I never got to play with giant swords while I was in high school?

undecided

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 07:49:57 PM »
You didn't have the eyebrows to pull it off.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 01:59:39 AM »
Hmm.  My HS's mascot was a knight.  I'm almost positive the costume included a sword.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 02:15:00 AM »
I'm surprised the flagon didn't raise any ire.

thats a pretty bad picture

If he lost the Claymore and kept the hand on the other pommel,
He could have slipped right by the editor
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Iain

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 02:23:38 AM »
Where's the rest of the claymore? It seems to be one of those evil SBS (short bladed swords).
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 02:43:42 AM »
THAT'S what I'm missing from my belt.
A portable booze vessel.
*puts it on The List*
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 07:18:49 AM »
Everyone needs a portable booze vessel.  How on earth did you forget that?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 08:27:10 AM »
The vessel with the pestle holds the pellet with the poison, the flagon with the dragon holds the brew which is true.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 09:41:40 AM »
that is a funky Claymore

now that i have looked for the tip over the good knights left shoulder,
and see none, i assume its a four handed dirk
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 09:48:29 AM »
It's that short for convenient carry.  It becomes longer when he yells "Thunder! Thunder! Thundercats, YOOOOO!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 11:32:47 AM »
The vessel with the pestle holds the pellet with the poison, the flagon with the dragon holds the brew which is true.

Isn't that from a Danny Kay movie?

I thought the metal cup was for making rabbit stew and such in the field. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 11:50:32 AM »

Isn't that from a Danny Kay movie?

I thought the metal cup was for making rabbit stew and such in the field. 

Danny Kaye it is, a very funny film.

"The Court Jester" as Hubert Hawkins...

Hawkins: I've got it! I've got it! The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?
Griselda: Right. But there's been a change: they broke the chalice from the palace!
Hawkins: They *broke* the chalice from the palace?
Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.
Hawkins: A flagon...?
Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.
Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.
Griselda: Right.
Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?
Griselda: No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!
Hawkins: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.
Griselda: Just remember that.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 11:55:36 AM »
It's that short for convenient carry.  It becomes longer when he yells "Thunder! Thunder! Thundercats, YOOOOO!"

laugh  Thanks.  I nearly spit coffee on my desk.  laugh
For entertainment purposes only.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 12:17:51 PM »
The funny thing is that in daze of yore,
the guy in the picture would have been at best, a stable hand,
and today's Football team captain would have been the sword wielder.

That "sword" is way beyond his armament class.

Heck, its a little too big for a "Deathdealer"

crt360

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 12:26:28 PM »
Harold, that very cool picture used to hang on the wall at Conan's Pizza.  Your right about the kid being too small for the sword.  That's probably why it's so short.  They had to saw the end off so he could lift it.
For entertainment purposes only.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 12:28:01 PM »
He'll grow into it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 03:02:45 PM »
Maybe it is just perspective, but that sword looks rediculously oversized.  Maybe it is not a sword and just an anachronism. 

Actually, the star football player would not be the knight.  The knight would be the son of a landowner who trained since a child to fight.  The son of a peasant may not even eat enough to grow that big. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 03:14:46 PM »
Maybe it is just perspective, but that sword looks rediculously oversized.  Maybe it is not a sword and just an anachronism. 
The photo was taken with a wide angle lens. This causes items close to the camera, such as the pommel of the sword, to look comparatively much larger than items farther from the camera.  Notice that his curled fingers appear about the same size in the photo as the exposed part of his face, yet in real life his fist can't possibly be that big.

It's a poorly made photograph.  It does look ridiculous.  It isn't the sword's fault, it's the photographer's.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 05:26:16 PM »

laugh  Thanks.  I nearly spit coffee on my desk.  laugh

No kidding...ah the days of 80s cartoons.

A while back me and a few friends were doing that whole Ren faire gig, crusing around as Scottsmen, complete with accurate kilts and drinking horns.  Said drinking horns were also filled with something any Scottsman would be proud to drink, needless to say.  Anyway, my friend takes a big swig just as some little kid sees him, and the kid FREAKS.

"EWWW! HE'S DRINKING OUT OF A COW HORN!! EWWWWWW!!!!"
<friend> I used to use the whole skull, lad, but there were too many holes! Waste of good drink!
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 05:39:06 PM »
or he would say "By the Power of Greyskull!"  Then again, kids really shouldn't say such things. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
This summer I'm one of the groomsmen in a traditional Scottish wedding. So once again I get to wear a kilt in public. Sweet.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Strings

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 06:44:41 PM »
"get" to wear a kilt in public? Unless required by work (or riding my bike), I'm almost always in a kilt (weather sometimes a factor too). I spent the entire weekend helping at a bridal show in kilt with a tux shirt and jacket...

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 06:55:51 PM »
I spent the entire weekend helping at a bridal show in kilt with a tux shirt and jacket...

Okay, we need pics.
Andy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 07:05:40 PM »
No.  No we do not. 

If any pics are posted, cosine will pay.  Heavily.   shocked
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife