Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 137156 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1250 on: April 04, 2022, 10:47:27 PM »
Perhaps a clue why the Russians are doing so poorly if this was actually said by Shamanov
https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugkx-K0r0MtuRzpMNgqBJekkHboh64qGRnau

About that.......

Maybe this explains it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Shamanov

I'm trying to think which American politician would say something that stupid. It's stupider than Sharpton accusing Republicans of thinking we won the Civil War, but less stupid than Hank Johnson's concerns about Guam.

Would Kamala Harris say something that dumb?

Wait, I got it. Joe Biden. That's Biden-level confusion.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #1251 on: April 04, 2022, 11:56:39 PM »
I’m wondering if Putin sent in his second string into Ukraine in case something happened and NATO got involved.  Either that or his military really does suck…

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1252 on: April 05, 2022, 01:14:59 AM »
While I'm perfectly willing to believe the Russians are torturing people and executing people. (I've seen them do it live) Let's also remember that manipulation is still happening on both sides.  Remain skeptical of everything posted online.  A body in a grave in Ukraine may be just that, Or it may not be a body, a grave, or in Ukraine, or any combination.

Side note:  Honestly, this is what a war looks like.  The US doesn't play by these rules, mostly because we are strong enough we don't have to, but when you have near-peer foes, fighting in cities and towns, this is what happens.  This or worse.  My quip a couple pages ago about not wanting to have to shoot "allies" because of war crimes is based on knowing folks that have had to do exactly that.  Or be complicit.  And that's a shitty decision to make.

Disinformation and propaganda certainly do happen, but I think it's ultimately important to remember who invaded who.

I will grant any defending populace and its Armed Forces, when faced with an offensive invasion of their territory, broad clemency from any asserted "war crimes."  That's how entire nations declare loudly, "get off my lawn."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #1253 on: April 05, 2022, 01:32:02 AM »
Disinformation and propaganda certainly do happen, but I think it's ultimately important to remember who invaded who.

I will grant any defending populace and its Armed Forces, when faced with an offensive invasion of their territory, broad clemency from any asserted "war crimes."  That's how entire nations declare loudly, "get off my lawn."

Palestinians and Iraqis included?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #1254 on: April 05, 2022, 01:34:04 AM »

Nope

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1255 on: April 05, 2022, 09:29:06 AM »
I’m wondering if Putin sent in his second string into Ukraine in case something happened and NATO got involved.  Either that or his military really does suck…

Not mutually exclusive conditions.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #1256 on: April 05, 2022, 11:58:36 AM »
Question: now that Putin is throwing the n-word at anything that moves, does that mean American Leftists will have to stop doing it?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1257 on: April 05, 2022, 01:34:51 PM »

Yes.  And Afghans, too.

But when the population actively supports aircraft hijacking and mass casualty events and celebrates them, it's also time to clean the ideology pool.  The US and Allies did this with widespread indiscriminate blanket urban bombing in Germany in WWII, and nuclear bombs in Japan.  Those attacks were upon general industrial infrastructure to break the war machine in those countries; in the case of the Middle East, the war machine was a populace and ideology rather than an industrial base.  The war machine was never destroyed.

There will be another ideological war with the Middle East, because it was never resolved in the last one.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1258 on: April 05, 2022, 01:47:20 PM »
Yes.  And Afghans, too.

But when the population actively supports aircraft hijacking and mass casualty events and celebrates them, it's also time to clean the ideology pool.  The US and Allies did this with widespread indiscriminate blanket urban bombing in Germany in WWII, and nuclear bombs in Japan.  Those attacks were upon general industrial infrastructure to break the war machine in those countries; in the case of the Middle East, the war machine was a populace and ideology rather than an industrial base.  The war machine was never destroyed.

There will be another ideological war with the Middle East, because it was never resolved in the last one.

Palestine, Iraqi, Afghanistan, et. al. All problems created by western empire builders.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1259 on: April 05, 2022, 02:44:33 PM »
Palestine, Iraqi, Afghanistan, et. al. All problems created by western empire builders.

Ehh....added to more like.  Empire building certainly didn't help, but it also didn't start the tribalisim and violence in those regions.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1260 on: April 05, 2022, 03:32:29 PM »
Ehh....added to more like.  Empire building certainly didn't help, but it also didn't start the tribalisim and violence in those regions.

Tribalism there has been going on forever, didn't help when empire building shoved the tribes into borders and with folks they don't like.

Violence amongst humans is always going to be present when there is a fight for resources, culture and religion. Sometimes it is an everyday thing sometimes it is once a generation or even further, but it will happen.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #1261 on: April 05, 2022, 03:44:17 PM »

Yeah. With three millennia of entrenched beliefs and ingrained hatred, they won't stop killing each other any time soon.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1262 on: April 05, 2022, 04:07:11 PM »
Yeah. With three millennia of entrenched beliefs and ingrained hatred, they won't stop killing each other any time soon.

Brad
And of course about 1400 or so years ago Islam came along (probably evolving from earlier beliefs of the desert nomads), and the various factions that it split into don't play well together at all - yet more reason above and beyond the grudges that already existed that helps keep them perpetually cranky.

And anyway, didn't the Moorish invasion of Europe pre-date the West's involvement (beginning with the Crusades) in North Africa and the Middle East?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1263 on: April 05, 2022, 04:11:46 PM »
And of course about 1400 or so years ago Islam came along (probably evolving from earlier beliefs of the desert nomads), and the various factions that it split into don't play well together at all - yet more reason above and beyond the grudges that already existed that helps keep them perpetually cranky.

And anyway, didn't the Moorish invasion of Europe pre-date the West's involvement (beginning with the Crusades) in North Africa and the Middle East?

Moors invaded Spain in 711 AD

Alexander the Great 334 BC

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1264 on: April 05, 2022, 04:15:43 PM »
Moors invaded Spain in 711 AD

Alexander the Great 334 BC

And how many times did Persia invade Greece before that
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1265 on: April 05, 2022, 04:25:10 PM »
And how many times did Persia invade Greece before that

IIRC Persia tried to invade mainland Greece twice.

Uranus is a gas giant.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1266 on: April 05, 2022, 06:34:58 PM »
IIRC Persia tried to invade mainland Greece twice.

As I recall Persia was beating up on Greece from about 500 BCE to like 450BCE.

Thermopylae was 480 BCE.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #1267 on: April 05, 2022, 06:40:33 PM »
When they reach Vienna again will we still blame western adventurism?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1268 on: April 05, 2022, 06:47:38 PM »
Yes.

We enjoy blaming ourselves.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #1269 on: April 05, 2022, 08:26:17 PM »
Yes.

We enjoy blaming ourselves.

One reason I could never warm up to Ron Paul.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1270 on: April 05, 2022, 08:30:41 PM »

I agree.

But I'm not certain the next round will be fought in the Middle East.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1271 on: April 05, 2022, 09:58:10 PM »
I agree.

But I'm not certain the next round will be fought in the Middle East.

Which comes around to the point I'm not doing very good at making, and I will try again.

"Rules of war" are ridiculous.

War is the means of resolving conflict when the rules are thrown out the window.  War crimes are just a means of singling out behavior that the victor doesn't like about the loser.  If Muslims won a war with the West, they would re-write War Crimes so that it was a War Crime to be Jewish, Christian, or Atheist.  It would also be a War Crime for a woman to take up arms against a man.  But we Westerners are eager for things like hot Jewish IDF soldiers or that Kurd all-female unit.  Partly because hawt chicks, and partly because we KNOW it absolutely infuriates the Muslims to think of being killed by a woman.

The "rules of war" we think are in effect now are not going to be the same if the West ever loses a war with the Middle East, or China, or Space Aliens.  Those factions won't take it easy on uniformed soldiers vs un-uniformed irregulars/spies.  They will wipe the Western ideology off the map the second they have victory and Allah or The Party or The Hive Mind will become the entity which takes offense at the actions of the losers.  Geneva Conventions?  Geneva was nuked, or hit with an asteroid, or Allah burned it in His holy wrath (peace be upon His name). 

I don't care about rules of war.  I care about who is right.

If party A is on party B's lawn, actively trying to take *expletive deleted*it and kill people... party B can pull out the Garand and get to work.  I don't care about the uniform or the rules, and I'm going to take a lackadaisical disinterest in ethics complaints from party A after the fact.
--Lysander Spooner

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1272 on: April 06, 2022, 08:44:59 AM »
Could be more to this don't know. But on the surface it looks like YT bowing to the Chinese.

Wang Jixian, a resident of Odesa for the past four years, said he had been posting videos of the Russian invasion to counter China's narrative of what was happening in the country. He says he had received multiple messages not to "provoke" Beijing.

YouTube suspends channel of Chinese vlogger reporting on Ukraine
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60991746?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=624d00ea4f71af55b4616dac%26YouTube%20suspends%20channel%20of%20Chinese%20vlogger%20reporting%20on%20Ukraine%262022-04-06T03%3A30%3A51.703Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:6d02f5df-d81f-4849-baeb-83b9991f92f8&pinned_post_asset_id=624d00ea4f71af55b4616dac&pinned_post_type=share
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1273 on: April 06, 2022, 08:48:18 AM »
Drone video of trenches excavated by #Russia`ns in the #Chernobyl radiation area.
https://twitter.com/eskelinen_antti/status/1511604470286675974
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1274 on: April 06, 2022, 10:12:28 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes