Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 136913 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1301 on: April 08, 2022, 10:17:59 AM »
Pictured: Aftermath of Kramatorsk station strike
Some images coming in from Kramatorsk rail station, independently verified by the BBC, show the devastation after this morning's attack.
Train company officials say at least 30 have been killed and 100 injured in the attack.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61032786?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=62500940aea8d714b7409e1f%26Pictured%3A%20Aftermath%20of%20Kramatorsk%20station%20strike%262022-04-08T10%3A21%3A23.644Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:1a716334-6bd5-471b-901e-c6eef791de13&pinned_post_asset_id=62500940aea8d714b7409e1f&pinned_post_type=share

'For the children' written on missile that hit station
Missile near Kramatorsk station reading 'for the children'
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images
Writing on a missile dropped near Kramatorsk station reads: 'For the children'Image caption: Writing on a missile dropped near Kramatorsk station reads: 'For the children'

The remnants of one of the missiles dropped near Kramatorsk station appears to have the words "for the children" written on it in Russian.

The phrase - "za detei" in Russian - suggests it was fired in support of children, or in retaliation to an attack on children, rather than aimed at children.

Ukrainian officials say the railway station strike in Kramatorsk has killed at least 39 people including four children. The station was being used to evacuate civilians from the Donbas region in eastern Ukraine, where fighting has intensified in recent days.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61032786?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=62500a334f71af55b46171af%26%27For%20the%20children%27%20written%20on%20missile%20that%20hit%20station%262022-04-08T11%3A59%3A55.806Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:f0854d1d-0690-4329-bc93-0e794feaa8ff&pinned_post_asset_id=62500a334f71af55b46171af&pinned_post_type=share

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1302 on: April 08, 2022, 01:45:23 PM »
While I don't doubt that the Russian's are perfectly capable of such an attack and I am ready to believe the reports as presented I also don't doubt that the attack could also have been staged and or faked and or false flag operation to gen up more anti-Russian sentiment.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1303 on: April 08, 2022, 01:52:06 PM »
Pictured: Aftermath of Kramatorsk station strike

Quote from: bbc.com
Tochka-U rockets are extremely inaccurate, regularly missing their targets by half-a-kilometre or more, according to Amnesty International weapons experts.

It could have been Russian rockets aimed at a different target.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1304 on: April 08, 2022, 01:53:16 PM »
Yeah, I posted without comment.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #1305 on: April 09, 2022, 05:56:23 AM »
It could have been Russian rockets aimed at a different target.
Apparently they are accurate to within roughly 100 meters. So either they aimed at the train station and their *expletive deleted*it-tier weapons hit by mere fluke, or they were aiming for something else within 100 meters of the train station, probably another civilian target. Russia is ISIS with nukes and diplomatic recognition.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1306 on: April 09, 2022, 09:16:09 AM »
Looking at photos of the types of SAMs used by both the Ukrainians and Russians.
Wondering if the missile section with the "For the children" written on it could be part of a Ukrainian SAM but so far no exact matches

Always the possibility the missile went off target and/or was hit was a SAM.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 09:34:58 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1307 on: April 09, 2022, 09:20:55 AM »
This gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling

The source said the commander of Russia’s southern military district, Gen Alexander Dvornikov, now leads the invasion.
“That particular commander has a lot of experience of Russian operations in Syria

Russia has replaced war commander, says Western official
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61032786?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=6250f1edaea8d714b7409fd5%26Russia%20has%20replaced%20war%20commander%2C%20says%20Western%20official%262022-04-09T02%3A49%3A37.695Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:f31b003a-19c7-4767-8309-812d7624b9db&pinned_post_asset_id=6250f1edaea8d714b7409fd5&pinned_post_type=share
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1308 on: April 09, 2022, 11:36:56 PM »
Looking at photos of the types of SAMs used by both the Ukrainians and Russians.
Wondering if the missile section with the "For the children" written on it could be part of a Ukrainian SAM but so far no exact matches

Always the possibility the missile went off target and/or was hit was a SAM.

OTR-21 Tochk (NATO Scarab). A  suppose to be accurate to 150 meters, B 95m, C 70m
Used by both Ukraine and Russia although Russian claimed they were taken out of service but it is assumed they've been back in service for used in Ukraine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTR-21_Tochka
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1309 on: April 09, 2022, 11:48:43 PM »
Reports of two possibly three missiles so that would rule out an off course missile
- Calvin and Hobbes

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #1310 on: April 10, 2022, 01:57:47 PM »
OTR-21 Tochk (NATO Scarab). A  suppose to be accurate to 150 meters, B 95m, C 70m
Used by both Ukraine and Russia although Russian claimed they were taken out of service but it is assumed they've been back in service for used in Ukraine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTR-21_Tochka
I can't be bothered to find the sources again but there's plenty of redditors claiming there's picture evidence of the missiles being brought along for the invasion. Probably on /r/news, /r/worldnews or /r/ukraine
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1311 on: April 10, 2022, 04:02:21 PM »
I can't be bothered to find the sources again but there's plenty of redditors claiming there's picture evidence of the missiles being brought along for the invasion. Probably on /r/news, /r/worldnews or /r/ukraine
I've seen some pictures of what are supposed to be Russian trucks loaded with multiple long cylinders - allegedly missiles - driving into Ukraine.

I read a couple of weeks ago that the Ukrainians captured some of the Russian thermobaric weapons, and yesterday a story said they'd actually used them on Russian positions. I guess that's a problem when your opponents trained on much of the same hardware that you use.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1313 on: April 11, 2022, 09:29:47 PM »
Looks like Poland and Latvia have seen how weak the Russian army is and are starting up some smack talk.

Or they have seen our world has gone mad thread and want the nukes to fly.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #1314 on: April 12, 2022, 12:48:04 AM »
Unverified reports from remnants of Azov Battalion in Mariupol that chemical weapons were used against the city.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #1315 on: April 12, 2022, 12:54:53 AM »
Reports both Finland and Sweden expected to apply for NATO membership

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61032786?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=625425aa5fbc655faa020e08%26Could%20Sweden%20and%20Finland%20join%20Nato%3F%262022-04-11T22%3A10%3A56.238Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:2278cbd7-66f2-4d08-a3e6-c5762b6248c4&pinned_post_asset_id=625425aa5fbc655faa020e08&pinned_post_type=share
And Russia rattles their saber in response, threatening both Finland and Sweden. I am pretty sure the Finns are prepared. Sweden...not so much. But a lot of people seems to have had a wakeup call, and various peacenik groups known for their simping for Russia have been rightfully bullied, have not had to read their blather for some time now.

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1317 on: April 12, 2022, 02:22:19 PM »
President Putin has made a rare public appearance alongside the leader of Belarus, Alexander Lukashenko, and described Russia's military goals in Ukraine as noble.

He said peace talks had reached a dead end, saying Ukraine had made "fake claims" about war crimes and extended demands for security guarantees.

Meanwhile Lukashenko said allegations of atrocities in northern Ukraine were "a psychological operation carried out by the English"
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61075759

The English  :O
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1318 on: April 12, 2022, 02:28:30 PM »
The red coats are coming the red coats are coming.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1319 on: April 12, 2022, 04:43:45 PM »
"a psychological operation carried out by the English"
                      - William Wallace

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1320 on: April 12, 2022, 05:16:17 PM »
Just made myself a Black Russian with Ukrainian vodka. Oh the irony.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1321 on: April 12, 2022, 05:19:42 PM »
Those damned English. First they stopped the Argentinians from "liberating" the [happily British] Falkland Islanders, and now they're interfering with Russia's "liberating" the [happily Ukrainian} Ukrainians.

Sheesh.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1322 on: April 12, 2022, 05:20:18 PM »
Unverified reports from remnants of Azov Battalion in Mariupol that chemical weapons were used against the city.

Just read about it.  The scope of it sounds inferior to a typical US law enforcement weekend with tear gas.  Three people "poisoned" but not dead, weapon allegedly dropped by a drone.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1323 on: April 12, 2022, 05:35:47 PM »
Russian heavy equipment seen moving toward the Finnish border:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russia-moves-heavy-military-equipment-towards-finnish-border/ar-AAW7tbP

Presumably an attempt to intimidate the Finns and Swedes, who are considering joining NATO.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #1324 on: April 12, 2022, 05:48:06 PM »
Until a month ago I would have thought that Putin, for all his bluster, was still intelligent enough not to get into a shooting war with the rest of the world. Now I think he's intent on doing just that.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB