Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 136866 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #2525 on: June 12, 2023, 12:32:16 PM »
And a lot of that leaves out the fact that Taiwan has their own military with tanks and weapons and jets that might dispute the matter with China regardless of what happens to us. 

And it still doesn't address what would happen to China afterward.  The US and the rest of the world can live without China a lot easier than China can survive without the rest of the world. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2526 on: June 12, 2023, 01:15:22 PM »
China completely collapses without trade.  Their terminal demography means they can’t sustain themselves via domestic consumption.  Even if every Chinese woman of childbearing age committed immediately to popping out as many babies as possible it wouldn’t markedly alter their economic trajectory for 20 years.  And it would be another 20 years before they became a major player again.  And they won’t en mass make a big cultural shift to large numbers of children anytime soon. 

A war that, between combat losses and famine kills half (give or take) of their current population might trigger a baby boom of sorts.   It’s entirely plausible that China could, by 2030 if they go to war with Taiwan/USA they could be back to pre-1950 population levels.  And economic impact on the world.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2527 on: June 12, 2023, 01:38:31 PM »
Not saying they would succeed if they tried just that you really can't compare Taiwan directly to what's happening in Ukraine. They have some advantages in this that Russia doesn't
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 01:50:38 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2528 on: June 12, 2023, 02:02:26 PM »
Taiwan is likely better prepared than Ukraine.  They have 4 diesel electric submarines as well. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2529 on: June 12, 2023, 03:01:00 PM »
Most China watchers expect that the strategy for an invasion of Taiwan will start by hitting as much of the USN as is in range of non-nuclear weapons.  Then invade and conquer Taiwan before the US pacific fleet can respond (it’s like 6 weeks to sail from the west coast to China, probably 2-3 weeks from Hawaii).  The idea being to take the USN out of the fight before it starts and by the time they can get back in the fight it would be over.

Cranked up to about 30 knots, a fleet could make the Taiwan area in about eight days.  Call it seven days because they would hold off a day's sailing or so west of Taiwan to launch strikes.  Oilers and supply ships would have to trail behind some.  Make it 16-17 days if you wait for them.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2530 on: June 12, 2023, 04:20:21 PM »
Not seeing any mention of the 7th Fleet assets forward deployed at Yokosuka and Sasebo, Japan. They are (on paper) significant. I'd also bet good money that we have several submarines in the area including SSNs and SSGNs, though the SSGNs were developed since I got out so I'm not educated on their missions and capabilities.
IF we had the "want-to" I think we could pretty well put a stop to any amphibious invasion fleet headed to Taiwan before they made landfall.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2531 on: June 12, 2023, 05:00:33 PM »
Not seeing any mention of the 7th Fleet assets forward deployed at Yokosuka and Sasebo, Japan. They are (on paper) significant. I'd also bet good money that we have several submarines in the area including SSNs and SSGNs, though the SSGNs were developed since I got out so I'm not educated on their missions and capabilities.
IF we had the "want-to" I think we could pretty well put a stop to any amphibious invasion fleet headed to Taiwan before they made landfall.

And speaking of Japan, many forget about them. They've been rather quietly building up their naval capability
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2532 on: June 12, 2023, 05:01:35 PM »
Ha ha - Time really thought they had something here.  :rofl:

How Ukraine's dam collapse could become the country's 'Chernobyl'

https://twitchy.com/sarahd/2023/06/12/time-gets-smacked-around-for-historically-and-geographically-challenged-headline-on-ukraines-kakhovka-dam-n2384444
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2533 on: June 12, 2023, 05:06:57 PM »
Ha ha - Time really thought they had something here.  :rofl:

How Ukraine's dam collapse could become the country's 'Chernobyl'

https://twitchy.com/sarahd/2023/06/12/time-gets-smacked-around-for-historically-and-geographically-challenged-headline-on-ukraines-kakhovka-dam-n2384444

And the dam "collapsed"

But what do expect when the people writing the articles think anything pre 2000 is ancient history. You know, pre smart phone, aka the stone age, when people thought there were only two genders.

- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2534 on: June 12, 2023, 05:16:15 PM »
"IF we had the "want-to" I think we could pretty well put a stop to any amphibious invasion fleet headed to Taiwan before they made landfall."

As I said earlier...

Our biggest enemy in an all out war with China?

It's not China.

It's our own Government. As in Joe Biden, Kamela Harris, AOC and her squad of America haters.

If the US were to really hope to win a war against China, those elements would have to be marginalized and minimized quickly and effectively, or as active lovers of all things Chinese they could quickly derail any effective response to Chinese aggression.

Only it would be Afghanistan in spades...

MR PRESIDENT! THERE'S A CHICOM INVASION FLEET HEADING TOWARDS TAIWAN!

Uh... what? Who? Uh... (trips and falls over...)

Secretary of Communism AOC? How do you advise?

The Glorious People's Republic will cast out the imperialist capitalist oppressors and liberate their suffering brethren of Taiwan! Reunification is now a historical inevitability! Death to the oppressor!

Uh, Mr. President? What orders, sir?

You heard the Secretary of Communism... ABANDON JAPAN! ABANDON SOUTH KOREA! PULL EVERYONE OUT, BUT LEAVE EVERYTHING THERE!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2535 on: June 12, 2023, 05:20:09 PM »
Speaking of Chernobyl
Remember when you could still buy surplus ammo? Pepperidge Farm remembers

- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2536 on: June 13, 2023, 06:48:25 AM »
Just read a short article that as the waters in the lake behind the blow dam have dropped, skeletons are appearing...

At least one was still wearing a German WW II era stahlhelm; others were wearing Soviet-era helmets.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2537 on: June 13, 2023, 07:58:30 AM »
Just read a short article that as the waters in the lake behind the blow dam have dropped, skeletons are appearing...

At least one was still wearing a German WW II era stahlhelm; others were wearing Soviet-era helmets.

Wow!

When was the dam built?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2538 on: June 13, 2023, 08:00:25 AM »
When was the dam built?
Construction ran from 1950-1956

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2539 on: June 13, 2023, 09:26:01 AM »
Most China watchers expect that the strategy for an invasion of Taiwan will start by hitting as much of the USN as is in range of non-nuclear weapons. Then invade and conquer Taiwan before the US pacific fleet can respond (it’s like 6 weeks to sail from the west coast to China, probably 2-3 weeks from Hawaii).  The idea being to take the USN out of the fight before it starts and by the time they can get back in the fight it would be over. 
In this scenario, the fight for Taiwan might be over . . . just like the fight for the Philippines was over before the USN could recover from Pearl Harbor.

But it sure as hell wouldn't be the end of war with the USA. And if Biden tried to stop war after the Chicoms attacked the USN - he'd soon be ex-POTUS.

(One big question - how many Chicom sleeper agents are in CONUS right now, ready to hit refineries, pipelines, the electrical grid, and other places as a distraction?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2540 on: June 13, 2023, 10:22:49 AM »
Meanwhile
Could be a BS story, don't know, but something is going on in the video

A shocking video has shown Russian barrier troops appearing to execute their fellow soldiers as they attempt to flee the field of battle, Ukrainian sources have claimed.

Captured by a Ukrainian drone and posted to online messaging platform Telegram, the footage shows three Russian soldiers aiming weapons in the direction of at least seven comrades, and seemingly firing off rounds.

Return of Blocking Units?

Shocking drone footage shows 'Russian deserters being stopped by Putin's forces and shot as they try to flee', in scenes reminiscent of Stalin's 'No One Turn Back', Ukrainian sources claim
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12189359/Ukrainian-sources-say-shocking-footage-appears-Putins-forces-shot-try-flee.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2541 on: June 13, 2023, 11:18:14 AM »
In this scenario, the fight for Taiwan might be over . . . just like the fight for the Philippines was over before the USN could recover from Pearl Harbor.

But it sure as hell wouldn't be the end of war with the USA. And if Biden tried to stop war after the Chicoms attacked the USN - he'd soon be ex-POTUS.

My concern is if any such conflict would remain limited, or is the next step the computer asking if we would like to play a game, and then Global Thermonuclear War.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2542 on: June 13, 2023, 11:51:10 AM »

(One big question - how many Chicom sleeper agents are in CONUS right now, ready to hit refineries, pipelines, the electrical grid, and other places as a distraction?)

Our immigration policy has allowed a lot of migrants from China, especially college/grad school students.  I fully expect a significant amount of them are expected to respond and engage in sabotage when instructed to do so.  How effectively trained they are to do that is another question.  And how they plan to supply the saboteurs with weapons and demolition materials is also another question.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2543 on: June 13, 2023, 12:50:38 PM »
My concern is if any such conflict would remain limited, or is the next step the computer asking if we would like to play a game, and then Global Thermonuclear War.
I agree, but then again I was worried that our intervention with Russia in Ukraine could spur a nuclear exchange and so far it hasn't.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2544 on: June 13, 2023, 01:46:23 PM »
Notice that no one's tried to "force an early exit" on biden?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2545 on: June 13, 2023, 05:45:19 PM »
Our immigration policy has allowed a lot of migrants from China, especially college/grad school students.  I fully expect a significant amount of them are expected to respond and engage in sabotage when instructed to do so.  How effectively trained they are to do that is another question.  And how they plan to supply the saboteurs with weapons and demolition materials is also another question.

Record numbers of unaccompanied Chinese males of military age have been coming across the border.  Makes me think something is up.  Maybe Xi is waiting until he has enough sleepers in place here before invading Taiwan.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2546 on: June 13, 2023, 07:37:09 PM »
And another one bites the dust

May have been killed by his gardener

DEATH MYSTERY Pro-Putin deputy ‘found stabbed to death and buried in basement under his house’ in latest mysterious death in Russia
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/22672729/pro-putin-deputy-stabbed-buried-basement-russia/?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sunyoutubestories
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2547 on: June 13, 2023, 08:25:14 PM »
Biden Administration Set to Supply Depleted Uranium Rounds to Ukraine: Report
https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2023/06/13/biden-administration-set-to-supply-depleted-uranium-rounds-to-ukraine-report/

The Biden administration is reportedly set to follow Britain’s lead in supplying Ukraine with depleted uranium rounds to arm a swath of American tanks planned to be delivered to Kyiv in the Autumn.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2548 on: June 14, 2023, 07:41:37 AM »
Looks like the Russians have lost yet another top general in combat.

So sad...

https://www.ibtimes.com/best-russian-general-killed-during-ukraine-counteroffensive-3699744

So far the Russians have confirmed the deaths of 5 of their Generals in combat, and the Ukrainians have claimed another 4.

Add to that the deaths of dozens, if not hundreds, of colonels and majors and even more lesser officers. No wonder the Russians basically can't do anything. Their troops are poorly trained and their leaders keep getting killed.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2549 on: June 16, 2023, 07:43:44 AM »
Ed Nash looks at the head of Wagner Group, Yevgeny Prigozhin. Gives some insight at just how screwed up things are in Russia and how it's more like the Mafia on steroids

Who is Prigozhin?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K3qDoqSmIE
- Calvin and Hobbes