Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 137010 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #2550 on: June 16, 2023, 08:09:09 AM »
Read an article (can't find it now) that said that a large group of Russian soldiers was standing around for over 2 hours waiting for a Russian general to get there and give a "motivational speech" before they headed off to combat.

Only problem was... they were assembled in an open area less than 10 miles from the front, which means that the Ukrainians had eyes on them....

So they offered their own motivational speech in the form of a HIMARS strike.

Ukrainians are claiming over 100 dead Russians and many more wounded.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2551 on: June 16, 2023, 08:11:07 AM »
Looks like the Russians have lost yet another top general in combat.

So sad...

https://www.ibtimes.com/best-russian-general-killed-during-ukraine-counteroffensive-3699744

So far the Russians have confirmed the deaths of 5 of their Generals in combat, and the Ukrainians have claimed another 4.

Add to that the deaths of dozens, if not hundreds, of colonels and majors and even more lesser officers. No wonder the Russians basically can't do anything. Their troops are poorly trained and their leaders keep getting killed.

Sometimes I wonder how many of these are cases of "fragging".
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2552 on: June 16, 2023, 11:22:29 AM »
I did see a drone video supposedly showing Russian troops running across a field (retreating from positions) and getting shot by other Russian troops.  It was far enough back it wasn't easy to tell what was happening and I don't know enough about the uniforms and kit to know who they were.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2553 on: June 16, 2023, 11:25:24 AM »
I did see a drone video supposedly showing Russian troops running across a field (retreating from positions) and getting shot by other Russian troops.  It was far enough back it wasn't easy to tell what was happening and I don't know enough about the uniforms and kit to know who they were.

Same one back in #2540 or a different one?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2554 on: June 18, 2023, 08:25:57 PM »
Cloning the Ukrainian Fanta Bomb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxc6UbEGiS0

Testing an improvised soda bottle bomb.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2555 on: June 19, 2023, 07:25:42 AM »
Merkava….for Ukraine?

Maybe
Apparently some sort of deal has been worked out with someone, either Ukraine or someone else replacing tanks (probably Soviet era tanks that the Ukrainians are used to) they sent to Ukraine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms3nCVT3Vgo
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 07:43:33 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2556 on: June 19, 2023, 08:19:40 AM »
This is 2023, not 1943. I would expect at least some firefights breaking out between retreating troops and the kommisars and zampolits who opened fire on them for moving back.

Sometimes I wonder how many of these are cases of "fragging".
The same thought occurred to me. If you're being sent forward as a conscripted, untrained, poorly equipped suicide trooper to certain death anyway, why not take out the officer(s) sending you on?

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2557 on: June 19, 2023, 09:00:27 AM »
Same one back in #2540 or a different one?
Looks the same.  The Daily Mail just zoomed in a little more. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2558 on: June 19, 2023, 10:25:22 AM »
"This is 2023, not 1943. I would expect at least some firefights breaking out between retreating troops and the kommisars and zampolits who opened fire on them for moving back."

Given the state of the Russian military's training, I wouldn't be surprised if they were just throwing their weapons down and running as fast as they could.

Also, given the state of the Russian military's supply capabilities, it might be that the fleeing troops simply don't have ammunition, weapons, or either.

And, by 1943, the Red Army had gone a LONG way toward moving post the slaughter festivals of the early days of the war. Troops were finally, more and more, being competently led, trained, and equipped.

The Red Army of 1943 would absolutely *expletive deleted*ing DESTROY the Russian army of 2023 even more comprehensively than what the Ukrainians are doing right now.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2559 on: June 21, 2023, 07:40:16 AM »
There are now reports of widespread cholera outbreaks among Russian troops in the Khakova Dam area.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-army-hit-by-cholera-outbreak-after-kakhovka-dam-flooding/ar-AA1cKevc

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2560 on: June 21, 2023, 08:00:31 PM »
 Leopard 2 vs Ka-52 Alligator: Fighting in Ukraine
Military Aviation History
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlNxn7vgMlc

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2561 on: June 23, 2023, 01:48:41 PM »
In Honor Of Lives Lost In The Sub, Biden Announces Another $5 Billion For Ukraine
https://babylonbee.com/news/in-honor-of-lives-lost-in-the-sub-biden-announces-another-5-billion-for-ukraine
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2562 on: June 23, 2023, 06:30:09 PM »
Well this could get interesting

The head of Russia's Wagner mercenary group is being investigated for inciting mutiny after accusing the Russian military of a launching a deadly missile strike on his troops.

Yevgeny Prigozhin said the "evil" in the military leadership must be stopped and vowed to "march for justice".

Authorities have denied the strike and demanded he halt "illegal actions".

President Putin is aware of the situation and all necessary measures are being taken, his spokesman said.

In an audio message posted to the social media platform Telegram, he said "huge numbers" of his fighters had been killed in a strike by the Russian military on a Wagner camp, though he provided no evidence to support his claims.

"Those who killed our lads, and tens of thousands of lives of Russian soldiers [in the war in Ukraine] will be punished," he said.

"I ask you not to resist. Anyone who does will be considered a threat and destroyed. That goes for any checkpoints and aviation on our way.

"Presidential power, the government, the police and Russian guard will work as usual.

"This is not a military coup, but a march of justice. Our actions do not interfere with the troops in any way."

Stay tuned folks  [popcorn]

Russia accuses Wagner chief of urging 'armed mutiny'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66005256
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2563 on: June 23, 2023, 06:59:09 PM »
More

Could have a fight inside Russia on our hands.

Prigozhin announced his army will 'march for justice' and wage a revenge attack to stop the 'evil' of the Russian military high command, after he shared a video which he claimed showed his bases being bombed.

Armoured vehicles have been pictured on the streets of Moscow, and while it is unclear where Prigozhin is intending to march, there have been suggestions that his forces could reach Rostov-on-Don before 'moving onto the capital'. 

Coup fears in Russia: Head of Wagner mercenaries brands Putin's army chiefs 'evil' who 'must be stopped' and launches 'march for justice' to Moscow: Kremlin puts troops on capital's streets and vows to smash 'armed mutiny' as TV runs emergency bulletin
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12228381/Wagner-mercenaries-killed-RUSSIAN-missile-strikes.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2564 on: June 23, 2023, 07:40:12 PM »
Why shouldn't they take advantage of this?. Did you call a timeout or something?

The Russian Ministry of Defense said early Saturday that Kyiv is concentrating several brigades for an offensive in the Bakhmut direction, taking advantage of Wagner Group chief Yevgeny Prigozhin's “provocation.”

"Taking advantage of Prigozhin's provocation to disrupt the situation, the Kyiv regime is concentrating units of the 35th Marine Brigade and the 36th Mechanised Brigade of the AFU (Armed Forces of Ukraine) in Bakhmut tactical direction at the initial line for offensive actions,” the defense ministry said in a statement.
https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-06-23-23/index.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2565 on: June 23, 2023, 07:41:40 PM »
Could be complete BS but we'll see.

Prigozhin claims forces have crossed Russian border

Wagner troops have crossed Russia's border with Ukraine in multiple locations, the mercenary group's leader has now claimed.

In new audio recordings published on Telegram, Yevgeny Prigozhin says his mercenaries were "embraced" by border guards as they passed through.

He also claimed Russian conscripts order to stop them moved aside to allow his troops to pass, adding they are "now entering Rostov" - a city in south-western Russia near the Ukrainian border.

"But if anyone stands in our way, we will destroy everything that's in our way... We are moving forward, we'll go all the way," Prigozhin added.

The BBC is not able to verify the claims and no images or videos of Wagner forces in Russia have yet emerged.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-66006142?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=64962ba01babaa614a4730fa%26Prigozhin%20claims%20forces%20have%20crossed%20Russian%20border%262023-06-23T23%3A37%3A56.595Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:0f7d84ed-f78a-468c-a03d-879596a28410&pinned_post_asset_id=64962ba01babaa614a4730fa&pinned_post_type=share
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2566 on: June 23, 2023, 07:42:28 PM »
Why shouldn't they take advantage of this?. Did you call a timeout or something?
https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-06-23-23/index.html
That quote is intended to direct Russian public ire at Prigozhin, not make anyone wag their finger at Ukraine.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2567 on: June 23, 2023, 07:45:17 PM »
That quote is intended to direct Russian public ire at Prigozhin, not make anyone wag their finger at Ukraine.

Wonder how much we're backing the Wagner coup

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2568 on: June 23, 2023, 07:55:49 PM »
Be interesting to see if many, if any, Russian soldiers join this. You would think they've got to be fed up with this *expletive deleted*it show by now.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2569 on: June 23, 2023, 07:57:38 PM »
BBC News is running a live update page.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-66006142
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2570 on: June 23, 2023, 09:00:40 PM »
Wonder how much we're backing the Wagner coup
I wonder how long it will take for the PR message to go out that the evil, scary, war criminal Wagner group are actually the good guys.

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2572 on: June 23, 2023, 09:37:18 PM »
I wonder how long it will take for the PR message to go out that the evil, scary, war criminal Wagner group are actually the good guys.

... and how long until Russian television begins airing "Swan Lake" nonstop.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2573 on: June 23, 2023, 10:12:07 PM »
... and how long until Russian television begins airing "Swan Lake" nonstop.
I heard a comment that internal internet was shut down.  Not sure about that.

The Denys Davydov guy posted on Telegram that the order was give for air strikes against the vehicles moving toward Moscow, but the order was refused. 

Update from Ukraine | Wagner started the military coup in Ruzzia | Prygozhyn is going to Moscow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMtjavd5Sug&feature=youtu.be

Sounds like interesting times over there. 

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2574 on: June 23, 2023, 10:14:41 PM »
https://youtu.be/KXHZ0IH2rOk

Zeihan on potential for a coup.