Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 136863 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #2950 on: January 13, 2024, 01:09:04 PM »
That's one of Fox News stories that requires you to give them your email address to read.  It started out as just the occasional story.  Now it's up to roughly 2/3rds of the stories that require an email address.  Their site is darn near unreadable now.  Not going to do it.  I don't want their spam clogging my inbox.

I signed up with a throwaway email (temp-mail.org) and it has stayed signed-in.  Must be a cookie.  Even after closing the browser I've read multiple stories that initially ask for an email and then the rest of it loads automatically
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2951 on: January 13, 2024, 01:09:43 PM »
I was in reader mode, the e-mail request comes up but so does the article at the same time
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2952 on: January 13, 2024, 03:21:56 PM »
I was in reader mode, the e-mail request comes up but so does the article at the same time

Was it the Brave browser that you are using, WLJ?  Just tried this on Brave myself.  It has what they call a SpeedReader, activated by clicking on an icon in the address bar.  Seems to work.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2953 on: January 13, 2024, 03:24:44 PM »
Was it the Brave browser that you are using, WLJ?  Just tried this on Brave myself.  It has what they call a SpeedReader, activated by clicking on an icon in the address bar.  Seems to work.

Firefox
Also click on the icon in the address bar or hit F9
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2954 on: January 13, 2024, 03:48:10 PM »
Oh, hey, speedreader works for me too. All you seem to lose are the comments, which aren't very worthwhile anyway.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2955 on: January 13, 2024, 03:51:01 PM »
Oh, hey, speedreader works for me too. All you seem to lose are the comments, which aren't very worthwhile anyway.1

On Brave the comments aren't blocked if you go back to standard view.  Or, you can read them before clicking SpeedReader to read the article.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2956 on: January 13, 2024, 04:29:08 PM »
I signed up with a throwaway email (temp-mail.org) and it has stayed signed-in.  Must be a cookie.  Even after closing the browser I've read multiple stories that initially ask for an email and then the rest of it loads automatically

I signed up using my old Yahoo e-mail address, which I've largely abandoned for other than a very few things and for signing up for stuff like Fox News.

So far I've not gotten any spam that I can trace back to signing in for that site.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2957 on: January 13, 2024, 04:32:32 PM »
I signed up using my old Yahoo e-mail address, which I've largely abandoned for other than a very few things and for signing up for stuff like Fox News.

So far I've not gotten any spam that I can trace back to signing in for that site.

I have one of those too.  I forget that I have it  :laugh:
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2958 on: January 13, 2024, 04:35:06 PM »
Every once in awhile I'll get a job spec request to my Yahoo e-mail.

That's when I know that they're working off a VERY VERY old copy of my resume... As in a decade or more.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #2959 on: January 13, 2024, 05:20:45 PM »

I've been using the same addy since 1996 when I got an old "dumb terminal" (for free) from work that they were throwing away.  I needed an email to download programs from the internet cafe I was using to get those programs.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2960 on: January 13, 2024, 11:48:21 PM »
American Citizen Dies in Ukrainian Custody. Here's Who His Father Is Blaming.
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2024/01/13/gonzalo-lira-n2633573

The U.S. State Department reportedly confirmed the death of Chilean-American blogger Gonzalo Lira, who had been imprisoned in Ukraine for criticizing the country's government.
Advertisement

"We can confirm the death of a U.S. citizen in Ukraine. We offer our sincerest condolences to the family on their loss," a State Department official told Russian news agency TASS.

Ukraine Kills American Gonzalo Lira For Calling Zelensky is a Coke Head
https://rumble.com/v46nxg6-ukraine-kills-american-gonzalo-lira-for-calling-zelensky-is-a-coke-head.html
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2961 on: January 14, 2024, 09:16:47 AM »
That's about how old my Yahoo e-mail address is. I got it around the same time. I could probably figure it out a bit better based on the oldest messages I have saved in my inbox.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2962 on: January 15, 2024, 09:52:04 AM »
Bradley Fighting Vehicles are taking out modern tanks in Ukraine
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/bradley-fighting-vehicles-russian-t90-tanks-ukraine/?utm_term=Task%26Purpose_Today_01.15.24&utm_campaign=Task%20%26%20Purpose_TPToday_Actives_Dynamic&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email

Last week a Russian T-90 came against two Bradley's and the Bradley's came out on top just using the 25mm guns.  From the comments I saw, they think one of the Bradley's hit the optics of the T-90 and blinded them and then turret started rotating out of control after another shot.  The post I saw said Ukraine hit it with a drone later. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2963 on: January 15, 2024, 09:54:41 PM »
Bradley Fighting Vehicles are taking out modern tanks in Ukraine
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/bradley-fighting-vehicles-russian-t90-tanks-ukraine/?utm_term=Task%26Purpose_Today_01.15.24&utm_campaign=Task%20%26%20Purpose_TPToday_Actives_Dynamic&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email

Last week a Russian T-90 came against two Bradley's and the Bradley's came out on top just using the 25mm guns.  From the comments I saw, they think one of the Bradley's hit the optics of the T-90 and blinded them and then turret started rotating out of control after another shot.  The post I saw said Ukraine hit it with a drone later.

Bradleys took out more tanks than the Abrams did in the 1st Gulf War
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2964 on: January 16, 2024, 07:29:42 AM »
Yeah, but normally they do it with TOWs.  If a T90 can be taken out reliably with a 25mm chain gun, that says poor things about it's durability.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2965 on: January 16, 2024, 09:30:50 AM »
Reads like they didn't so much as take it out but rather mission killed it by taking out it's optics. The drone then took it out later.
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2966 on: January 16, 2024, 10:19:11 AM »
Reads like they didn't so much as take it out but rather mission killed it by taking out it's optics. The drone then took it out later.

Not much functional difference if they can't repair the optics, which sounds like they probably can't. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2967 on: January 16, 2024, 10:46:56 AM »
Either way, it seems the people in the Bradley's are using them effectively. 

I have heard those 25mm guns are pretty good.  Some were saying it can penetrate tank armor at weak points, but I wouldn't know.  Some were speculating whether the tank turret started rotating because someone in the turrent got hit or because something was damaged. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2968 on: January 16, 2024, 11:29:55 AM »
Either way, it seems the people in the Bradley's are using them effectively. 

I have heard those 25mm guns are pretty good.  Some were saying it can penetrate tank armor at weak points, but I wouldn't know.  Some were speculating whether the tank turret started rotating because someone in the turrent got hit or because something was damaged.

Just speculation but maybe after the main optics got taken out they started spinning the turret is see with the remaining hard fixed optics to see where the heck the fire was coming from and/or a found a way out. There's a laundry list of details about this incident  we don't know.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2969 on: January 16, 2024, 11:32:30 AM »
Just speculation but maybe after the main optics got taken out they started spinning the turret is see with the remaining hard fixed optics to see where the heck the fire was coming from and/or a see a way out

Looking at the video, I think the turret was spinning too fast for that.  It really looked uncontrolled.  One of the Bradleys likely made a very lucky shot.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2970 on: January 16, 2024, 11:34:43 AM »
Looking at the video, I think the turret was spinning too fast for that.  It really looked uncontrolled.  One of the Bradleys likely made a very lucky shot.

Odd, I don't see a video. Need to check if my ad blocker settings are blocking it.

Edit: Never mind, it was me being a doofus and completely overlooking the video link. But yeah, maybe
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2971 on: January 16, 2024, 11:37:26 AM »
Odd, I don't see a video. Need to check if my ad blocker settings are blocking it.

I saw it on the Utubz.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2972 on: January 16, 2024, 11:38:18 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2973 on: January 16, 2024, 11:39:52 AM »
Bet it was fun being in that turret basket. Weeeee
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2974 on: January 16, 2024, 11:43:39 AM »
Bet it was fun being in that turret basket. Weeeee

It was eventually taken out by a drone, so at least no one had to clean out the puke.