Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 136869 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #3076 on: March 23, 2024, 09:15:43 AM »
Okay, I guess I am out of the loop. Can someone educate me on current Russian/ISIS beefs that would lead to this?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3077 on: March 23, 2024, 09:16:47 AM »
The Russians are going to lose their *expletive deleted*it over this.

Best case it's some Islamic terrorists from one of the hinterlands, and we just get some old fashioned gulags and mass killings.

Worst case it's a group with ties to Ukraine  and those weapons can be traced to a NATO military aid package.  That probably would mean a real war.

“No Russian”
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3078 on: March 23, 2024, 09:26:33 AM »
Okay, I guess I am out of the loop. Can someone educate me on current Russian/ISIS beefs that would lead to this?
Russian involvement in Syria maybe?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3079 on: March 23, 2024, 09:28:22 AM »
I think the Ukrainians are smart enough not to deliberately attack & kill a bunch of civilians - if they had operatives ready to go in Moscow, I'd expect them to either hit something like a power plant or oil/gas facility, or start sniping at uniformed Russians, either soldiers or police. A directed campaign against infrastructure or the Russian military/police establishment wouldn't cause the s***storm of negative publicity that a concert attack would. My money is on some kind of Moslem group.

Interesting that huge signage in English - CROCUS CITY HALL - was so very prominent on the building in Moscow. Makes me wonder if the venue was designed to attract tourists.

. . . Worst case it's a group with ties to Ukraine  and those weapons can be traced to a NATO military aid package.  That probably would mean a real war. . . .
From what I could make out in the available videos, all the weapons appeared to be AK-pattern, I didn't spot any AR-pattern long arms.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3080 on: March 23, 2024, 09:29:22 AM »

From the BBC
Note Chechnya being mentioned. A lot of attacks in Russian have had a Chechnya connection

Why would Islamic State attack Russia?

Will Vernon

BBC News, Washington DC

An Islamic State affiliate's claim that it was behind the Moscow attack would, if proved correct, be the latest in a number of Islamist-linked attacks in or against Russia in recent years.

A Russian plane was blown up over Egypt’s Sinai desert in 2015 with 224 people on board, most of them Russian citizens.

That attack was claimed by Islamic State, which later published a photograph of the explosive device.

In 2017, a bomb attack on the St Petersburg metro that killed 15 people was also linked to radical Islamists.

Militant groups have been fighting Russian forces in the North Caucasus region of the country for decades.

Large numbers of them flocked to Syria to join IS when the group was formed 10 years ago. Some militants that operate in the Russian North Caucasus have declared allegiance to IS, say experts.

But the specific group that has claimed today’s attack, ISIS-K, is the Islamic State affiliate in Khorasan - an old term for a region that includes parts of Iran, Turkmenistan and Afghanistan.

Counterterrorism experts say Russia has found itself “in the crosshairs” of ISIS-K, which frequently criticises President Putin in its propaganda.

It accuses the Kremlin of atrocities against Muslim people in military campaigns in Chechnya and Syria, as well as in the Soviet-era invasion of Afghanistan.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-68642036?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=65fe306cb26acd1fbf32f832%26Why%20would%20Islamic%20State%20attack%20Russia%3F%262024-03-23T02%3A04%3A17.231Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:5bedb4a1-41f7-4d60-af91-128fd3a686dd&pinned_post_asset_id=65fe306cb26acd1fbf32f832&pinned_post_type=share
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 09:41:55 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3081 on: March 23, 2024, 09:45:21 AM »
Baza - with close law enforcement contacts - showed images of four suspects, all from ex-Soviet republic Tajikistan, which borders Afghanistan.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13230367/russia-arrest-moscow-massacre-crocus-concert-death.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3082 on: March 23, 2024, 09:54:09 AM »
143 reported dead now
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3083 on: March 23, 2024, 09:58:26 AM »
From Putin's speech

They tried to hide and moved towards Ukraine, where, according to preliminary data, a window was prepared for them from the Ukrainian side to cross the state border."

That makes zero sense. Why would they move toward an area they know contains high concentrations of Russian troops? And besides Ukraine isn't exactly across the street from Moscow, much better to flee into the forests east of Moscow regroup and maybe attack again.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3084 on: March 23, 2024, 10:37:08 AM »
From Putin's speech

That makes zero sense. Why would they move toward an area they know contains high concentrations of Russian troops? And besides Ukraine isn't exactly across the street from Moscow, much better to flee into the forests east of Moscow regroup and maybe attack again.

Could be Putin is trying to justify to the world heavier action against Ukraine.  I think he would love to use WMDs if he thought he could get away with it.  Given his megalomania, this might push him past whatever has been holding him back until now.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3085 on: March 23, 2024, 11:54:04 AM »
From Putin's speech

It makes pretty decent sense.  The only closer international border to Moscow is Belarus, and they would definitely help the Russians and turn over the terrorists if caught.  North eastern Ukraine is only 3 or 4 hours drive from Moscow if they had cleared the city, if you have contact with someone in Ukraine it'd be pretty easy to find somewhere without active combat, and once in Ukraine you're probably home free.  Staying in Russia is a horrible idea, as once they recover from the shock of the attack, Russia has a huge security apparatus to mobilize (as evidenced by the capture of the folks they got).  The Suburban and Semi-rural Moscow area is also not ethnically diverse, so those shooters would stick out like a sore thumb trying to hide in the forest anywhere near Moscow.  They'd damn near have to cross the Volga to find somewhere in Russia to blend in.  Ukraine, while a long shot, was probably their best bet.

Interesting that huge signage in English - CROCUS CITY HALL - was so very prominent on the building in Moscow. Makes me wonder if the venue was designed to attract tourists.
From what I could make out in the available videos, all the weapons appeared to be AK-pattern, I didn't spot any AR-pattern long arms.

It seems like this is shaping up to be more standard Islamic violence and my concerns look to be unfounded, but remember NATO, and even the US, give out a lot of AK pattern weapons to our proxies all over the world.  Makes it easier for them to find ammo a lot of places.

That said, if ISIS-K is actually behind this it's pretty unlikely we helped them in any way.  We're still pretty pissed about the bomb they set off outside Kabul Airport in 2021

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3086 on: March 23, 2024, 03:02:03 PM »
Anyone ever heard of the CIA? Puten will hit them hard and then the house will cave on a huge check to send to uncle Z. I bet they even cut their break short to come back and vote on it.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3087 on: March 23, 2024, 05:06:24 PM »
Sounds about right:

ISIS: “We did it.”
Russia: “ISIS did it.”
USA: “ISIS did it.”

People on social media:
“Israel did it.”
“Ukraine did it.”
“The CIA did it.”
“The Russians did it to themselves.”
“It didn’t even happen.”
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3088 on: March 23, 2024, 05:22:59 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Opportunity

« Reply #3089 on: March 24, 2024, 06:59:10 AM »
gentlemen, I suggest at least today not to dance on the bones, we already know about 133 dead and today is a day of national mourning, let's just pray for those killed...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3090 on: March 24, 2024, 07:31:34 AM »
gentlemen, I suggest at least today not to dance on the bones, we already know about 133 dead and today is a day of national mourning, let's just pray for those killed...

No one here as far as I know is dancing on the bones.
I myself am horrified 

This was definitely ISIS's MO
ISIS says it was ISIS
Russia says it was ISIS
US says it was ISIS
The British says it was ISIS

Meanwhile you got goofballs on the internet saying it was everyone from the Israelis to Mary Poppins.
The above was mocking that.

That said expect criticism of Putin and Russian Security since they were given warnings that this exact type of attack by ISIS was in the works and apparently chose to blow it off and Putin has been trying to pin this at least partially on Ukraine since the attack. Such criticism is IMHO NOT bone dancing.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 08:03:44 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3091 on: March 24, 2024, 08:05:38 AM »
It seems like this is shaping up to be more standard Islamic violence and my concerns look to be unfounded, but remember NATO, and even the US, give out a lot of AK pattern weapons to our proxies all over the world.  Makes it easier for them to find ammo a lot of places.

A lot of NATO members that are former Warsaw Pact members have been converting to 5.56x45 rifles and have stockpiles of 5.45 and 7.62x39 AKs. Many probably have been shipping some of those stockpiles to Ukraine. I'm sure that will come up.

That said the AK in the only close up photo I've seen so far of one appeared to an AK-12 variant. Has Russia shipped AK-12s to anyone? Of course there always the possibility they were capture in Syria. How easy is it to get AK-12s in Russia?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 08:25:52 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3092 on: March 24, 2024, 08:51:53 AM »

I wasn't grave dancing, and I hope my posts didn't come off that way.  I was fervently hoping we didn't have anything to do with it, and I am concerned about the repercussions when you guys (justifiably) take vengeance,  but that's more a statement on my government than yours.

I am sorry for the loss of life your country experienced.  Terrorists deserve to be shot like dogs. In a sane world our countries could cooperate to remove ISIS-K from this planet since they are have hit us both, sadly the world is far from sane.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3093 on: March 24, 2024, 04:57:12 PM »

Nobody here is dancing on any bones.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3094 on: March 24, 2024, 05:29:34 PM »
Their 70 virgins will had to wait for the Russians to be done with them.

The Russian Investigative Committee detained four suspected terrorists and their barbaric torture techniques have been seen on social media, including one video which shows a Russian agent severing a man's ear off before trying to force him to eat it.

Another photograph shows one of the suspected terrorists, named as Shamsuddin Fariddun, lying on a gym floor with his trousers pulled down and wires evidently attached to his groin area.

He is visibly foaming from the mouth and appears to be clenching his teeth, while a man in military uniform stands with his foot on the leg of the suspect.

Image shows Russian forces torturing Moscow terror suspect by hooking his genitals up to 80v battery leaving him foaming at the mouth - as new footage emerges of the slaughter that left more than 140 dead
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13233511/Russian-forces-torturing-Moscow-terror-suspect-hooking-genitals-battery.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3095 on: March 24, 2024, 07:55:31 PM »
Assuming they have the right guys then I’m trying to work up an outrage but I just can’t manage it.

That said, it would have been nice if Putin would have heeded the specific warnings he got so the bad guys could have been stopped before they did their work.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3096 on: March 24, 2024, 08:05:21 PM »
Assuming they have the right guys then I’m trying to work up an outrage but I just can’t manage it.

That said, it would have been nice if Putin would have heeded the specific warnings he got so the bad guys could have been stopped before they did their work.

Agree with all the above, but I have to wonder if Russian warned us if we would act (or act enough) or not.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3097 on: March 24, 2024, 08:18:11 PM »
I have to wonder if Russian warned us if we would act (or act enough) or not.

I've wondered that myself but I'm sure a lot depends on the nature of the warning.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3098 on: March 24, 2024, 09:53:33 PM »
Warnings can often sound a lot more specific in hindsight than they do before an incident. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3099 on: March 25, 2024, 12:05:00 AM »
Daniel Davis does a deep dive into the concert massacre (spoiler alert: he doubts that it was ISIS-K):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxZxFfe6tbU
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden