Author Topic: When Environuts Have to Deal With the 19th Century  (Read 3630 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
When Environuts Have to Deal With the 19th Century
« on: October 31, 2019, 07:27:14 PM »
A group of enviros decided to sail to a climate conference in Chile (which, I give them credit for putting their money where their mouth is). Four weeks into their journey to the conference, they learned it was cancelled. Yeah, that's how things worked a couple of centuries ago, which is why people use modern forms of transportation now. :)

I'm still waiting for one of these things to be done entirely through telepresence. It would be their chance to highlight technological ways to limit carbon footprints. I don't know why it always has to be about living like the Flintstones.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/10/31/climate-change-activists-four-weeks-into-trans-atlantic-voyage-for-un-summit-learn-its-canceled/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: When Environuts Have to Deal With the 19th Century
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 09:10:44 PM »
But Chile is on the west side of the South American continent. Were they going to go through the Panama Canal, sail around the southern tip of Sudamerica ... or land at some Atlantic port and travel from there to Chile by carbon-emitting modes of transportation?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 09:16:57 PM »
But Chile is on the west side of the South American continent. Were they going to go through the Panama Canal, sail around the southern tip of Sudamerica ... or land at some Atlantic port and travel from there to Chile by carbon-emitting modes of transportation?

Burro drawn cart.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 10:48:33 PM »
Burro drawn cart.

So they'll be supporting burro flatulence? And were any trees killed to build the cart?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 02:44:42 AM »

Steamer car fired by whale oil. 

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 07:25:19 AM »
Ah well their time didn't have any value anyhow.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 07:26:31 AM »
4 weeks to cross the Atlantic?  Were they in a rowboat?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 04:47:59 PM »
I'd like.to see her "green" yacht stripped of every bit of petroleum based material. Also, any nonrenewable materials like aluminum, steel, bronze. And any electronics made with rare earth elements.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 08:48:08 PM »
I loved the part about the crew flying home, to be replaced by a different crew that will be flown in.

But it's all good, because the boat is going to pay to plant some trees somewhere and that's supposed to offset the environmental damage caused by all those sailors flying hither and yon.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 09:01:50 PM »
Steamer car fired by whale oil. 

If they're going to go all 19th century, a big huffing puffing smoke belching lignite coal burning locomotive.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 10:47:57 PM »
If they're going to go all 19th century, a big huffing puffing smoke belching lignite coal burning locomotive.

Wouldn't a wood-burning loco require less earth-rape?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 05:53:49 PM »
I'd like.to see her "green" yacht stripped of every bit of petroleum based material. Also, any nonrenewable materials like aluminum, steel, bronze. And any electronics made with rare earth elements.
If they were really serious about the environment, they'd be in something like this:

Although they might have a little trouble recruiting oarsmen oarspersons.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 06:12:23 PM »
If they were really serious about the environment, they'd be in something like this:

Row well, and live.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 07:28:25 PM »

I believe there was a "Viking" ship that sailed from the Great Lakes back to Europe.  There was a documentary about it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 07:39:52 PM »
I believe there was a "Viking" ship that sailed from the Great Lakes back to Europe.  There was a documentary about it.

Draken Harald HÃ¥rfagre

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 08:06:09 PM »
Draken Harald HÃ¥rfagre

Hmmm ...

No news since early 2018. I wonder if they ran out of money and had to park it somewhere.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 08:28:42 PM »
Hmmm ...

No news since early 2018. I wonder if they ran out of money and had to park it somewhere.

https://www.drakenhh.com/future-plans

2019 Mystic Seaport

During 2019 Draken will be docked the whole year at the world-renowned Mystic Seaport Museum, CT, USA. The Museum’s grounds cover 19 acres on the Mystic River in Mystic, CT and include a recreated New England coastal village, a working shipyard, formal exhibit halls, and state-of-the-art artifact storage facilities. The Museum is home to more than 500 historic watercraft, including four National Historic Landmark vessels. The Museum hosts 284,000 visitors annually and has an active membership base of 14,000 from all over the United States and the world.  Draken will not be open to the public exempt for the Viking Days 1-2 June organized by Mystic Seaport.

2020 Expedition

We are at the moment working on getting Draken out sailing again in 2020. We are looking at different options for 2020. We will probably be doing a tour along one of the U.S./Canadian coastlines. If you represent a city or a company that would be interested to partner with us for our next adventure, please do not hesitate to contact us.   

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 08:48:51 PM »
She was at Mystic in 2018 and they were giving tours, for $6/head. So it sounds like they ran out of money and she hasn't left Mystic since arriving there in late 2017 or early 2018.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 09:00:49 PM »
Many, if not most, of the tall ships are in a constant financial struggle to remain operational. Proper maintenance on a big wooden sailing ship is intensive, time consuming and expensive. 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2019, 10:25:37 AM »
My question is... how huge was the carbon footprint for their "earth friendly" sailing vessel. I'm betting that they would have had less environmental impact had they simply flown.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2019, 12:54:37 PM »
Many, if not most, of the tall ships are in a constant financial struggle to remain operational. Proper maintenance on a big wooden sailing ship is intensive, time consuming and expensive.  

This one seems to be doing just fine, though I think it gets a lot of funding from public sources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Sullivan_(schooner)

But yes, they seem to have a limited shelf life- there are probably thousands of schooners on the bottom of the great lakes- they wear out, rot out, shipwreck, or got scuttled.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2019, 02:22:36 PM »
This one seems to be doing just fine, though I think it gets a lot of funding from public sources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Sullivan_(schooner)

Makes an interesting comparison to one that's been around for 119 years and is still going strong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_Chimes_(schooner)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2019, 03:57:19 PM »

The device on the sail is wrong-think and patriarchal. It would have to be changed to cubes of tofu.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2019, 08:00:34 PM »
The device on the sail is wrong-think and patriarchal. It would have to be changed to cubes of tofu.

I don't know.  Looks a bit like a uterus to me.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?