Author Topic: Soyuz crash...  (Read 4659 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Soyuz crash...
« on: August 24, 2011, 01:22:04 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/24/us-russia-space-idUSTRE77N4F520110824?feedType=RSS&feedName=scienceNews

Just a cargo launch... but a Soyuz went down.

http://spaceref.eu/news/viewpr.html?pid=9566

Evidently they build cargo-Soyuz to a lower standard than manned-Soyuz, though.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Soyuz crash...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 01:30:39 PM »
Anyone know what "preps" the ISS residents have on hand if groceries aren't delivered on-time? =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 01:38:07 PM »
Anyone know what "preps" the ISS residents have on hand if groceries aren't delivered on-time? =D

A one way ticket back down to the all-you-can-eat buffet lines?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 02:16:26 PM »
Ever hear of the Donner Party?  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 02:21:37 PM »
I guess the poop protein recycler that NASA installed in the toilet system is going to get some beta-testing...
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 02:23:33 PM »

News said this morning they have almost a year of supplies. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 05:49:37 PM »
News said this morning they have almost a year of supplies. 

Protein in all colors of the rainbow  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 06:02:31 PM »
Wow, this is the first failure of that system in quite a while (5 years /60 some launches).  Oops!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
So I assume the cargo Soyuz are unmanned?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 06:37:01 PM »
Well, it's a good thing we have the capability to.....

never mind.
 :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 10:19:16 PM »
Wow, this is the first failure of that system in quite a while (5 years /60 some launches).  Oops!

Gotta hand it to Russian technology....they're still using the same tech for over 40 years, and it still works....mostly....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 10:20:34 PM »
Gotta hand it to Russian technology....they're still using the same tech for over 40 years, and it still works....mostly....

They're replacing the Soyuz within 2 years. Better, more comfortable spacecraft. Fit more astronauts.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 10:24:21 PM »

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 10:42:11 PM »
I can't believe I actually had to open the article to find out if it was unmanned.

Jerks.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 10:50:19 PM »
I can't believe I actually had to open the article to find out if it was unmanned.

Jerks.

Or actually read the OP.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/24/us-russia-space-idUSTRE77N4F520110824?feedType=RSS&feedName=scienceNews

Just a cargo launch... but a Soyuz went down.

http://spaceref.eu/news/viewpr.html?pid=9566

Evidently they build cargo-Soyuz to a lower standard than manned-Soyuz, though.

;/
--Lysander Spooner

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 10:55:22 PM »

What are the blue things? They look like baby's bathtubs.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 10:57:57 PM »
Or actually read the OP.

;/
*implying i ever read the op*

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 11:30:11 PM »
What are the blue things? They look like baby's bathtubs.

Close. Crew seats.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 11:59:24 PM »
Russians must have very different body shapes than humans...... [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 12:04:16 AM »
Close. Crew seats.

Energia RKK mockup. Russia's private industry answer to SpaceX, Bigelow, Rutan, and Virgin etc. etc. etc.

I'm still unclear as to what you're supposed to do with your legs though.  ???

ETA... I finally saw it, those are foot rests, you lie back, knees up with the feet in those things. I thought they were some sort of control consoles for the crew. I guess they're expecting a gentle enough launch and landing that you can hold your legs in that position comfortably. I'd say 4G's or less...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:08:26 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 07:34:49 AM »
The proper title should have been "progress crash"...but then people would think it was political :)

Both progress, molnyia and Soyuz all use the Soyuz launch vehicle (different upper stages IIRC in some cases), as do a variety of other missions--it's their workhorse vehicle (think delta or atlas), while proton is their titan-4 / delta-heavy equivalent, and zenit is their medium unmanned (think atlas-551/2 equivalent).

Also, it's not the same Soyuz that has been in use for 40 years, any more than atlas-5 is the same atlas as 40 years ago (although they both use Russian engines :) )

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 09:17:50 AM »
(although they both use Russian engines :) )

Don't you mean Chermann?  Zere are zose szientists that "elected" to visit the Russian Motherland back in 1945/46 who probably had children whose children are now at least middle-management in the space program.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 09:28:31 AM »
Don't you mean Chermann?  Zere are zose szientists that "elected" to visit the Russian Motherland back in 1945/46 who probably had children whose children are now at least middle-management in the space program.

stay safe.

Hahaha, true.  Odd note, if you ever get a chance, at the udvar-hazy (Dulles) air and space museum, they have a V-2 engine...take a picture and compare to the engine on a scud :)

Other weird note, I work with Von braun's nephew (brother's son I believe)...talk about family resemblance.