Author Topic: Space Love?  (Read 6293 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Space Love?
« on: February 06, 2007, 01:20:17 AM »
By Barbara Liston
Mon Feb 5, 9:48 PM ET

ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - Disguised in a dark wig, glasses and a trench coat, U.S. space shuttle astronaut Lisa Nowak waited in hiding for a woman she considered a rival for another astronaut's affections and tried to kidnap her, police in Orlando said on Monday.

Nowak, 43, was arrested on charges including battery and attempted kidnapping, according to an Orlando police affidavit.

She told police she drove from Houston to the Orlando International Airport to confront Colleen Shipman, who Nowak considered a rival for the attentions of fellow astronaut Bill Oefelein, the affidavit said.

Nowak, a married flight engineer with three children, was awaiting her next flight assignment after traveling aboard the shuttle Discovery in July 2006.

Oefelein was part of a separate shuttle Discovery mission in December that continued construction on the        International Space Station. The Orlando Sentinel described Shipman as a captain in the U.S. Air Force assigned to the 45th Launch Support Squadron at Patrick Air Force Base, near the        Kennedy Space Center.

Around midnight on Monday, Nowak went to the airport disguised in a wig and trench coat, waited for Shipman's flight from Houston to arrive and then followed Shipman to the parking garage armed with pepper spray, a steel mallet and a BB gun, police said.

Nowak also carried black gloves, a folding knife with a 4-inch blade, rubber tubing and trash bags, police said.

In a taped statement given to police, Nowak described her connection to Oefelein as "more than a working relationship but less than a romantic relationship."

'ONLY WANTED TO SCARE MS. SHIPMAN' - NOWAK

According to the affidavit, police were called at 3:50 a.m. by Shipman, who told them she had been followed from the airport to a satellite parking lot by a dark-haired woman in glasses, wearing a trench coat with a hood pulled over her head.

Shipman told police she could hear the woman's footsteps running after her, so she jumped into her car and locked the doors quickly.

The woman then pounded on Shipman's window, asked for a ride and then asked to use her cell phone. Shipman refused but rolled down her window just enough to be heard and was sprayed in the face by some sort of chemical that burned her eyes, according to the affidavit. Shipman was able to drive away to a toll booth for help.

The affidavit said police spotted Nowak dumping objects into a trash can at a nearby bus stop. Nowak was identified by Shipman.

In her statement to police, Nowak said she did not intend to physically harm Shipman, but "only wanted to scare Ms. Shipman into talking with her."

In a search of Nowak's car, police later found diapers that Nowak told them she wore so she wouldn't have to stop to urinate during her drive. They also discovered a letter describing how much Nowak loved Oefelein, e-mails from Shipman to Oefelein, directions to Shipman's house and receipts indicating Nowak paid only in cash during her trip from Houston, including for her hotel stay.

Police recommended Nowak be held without bail due to the detailed planning, disguises and weapons found in her possession.

Johnson Space Center spokesman James Hartsfield said, "As of now, her status at        NASA is unchanged. I cannot speculate beyond that."

(Additional reporting by Irene Klotz in Cape Canaveral)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Dannyboy

• friend
Re: Space Love?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 03:31:20 AM »
I read this last night.  Man, that chick is insane.  Definitely falls into the "You can't make this *expletive deleted*it up" category. 
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 03:41:26 AM »
Isn't there some kind of psychological screening?  That is messed up.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 03:48:15 AM »
From "Astronaut" to "Space Cadet".

Man. That's a freaky woman. The mug shot looks completely skanky and demented both.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 04:50:03 AM »
Another one of those stories where some important details are lacking.  There has got to be more to this.
Interesting, none-the-less.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 06:14:32 AM »
Space love?  Space psychosis. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

crt360

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 08:42:48 AM »
How do you explain that one to the kids?
For entertainment purposes only.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 09:35:24 AM »
How do you explain that one to the kids?

Easy.  Aliens abducted Mommy when she went into space and is the alien probe in her anus that is causing her erratic behaivor.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 09:38:50 AM »
Mommy went to Uranus? How's that again?  shocked

Sounds like uranium of the cranium...  cheesy

Un-bleepin'-believeable eh?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 09:57:03 AM »
This is why extremely thorough psychological screening before a flight to Mars would be very important.

Can you imagine being stuck with THAT on board for six months to a year?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 09:59:23 AM »

Airlock
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 10:02:03 AM »
Just make sure she's the only dame on the ship.  Could be very exciting for the gentlemen.   smiley

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 10:35:35 AM »
In a taped statement given to police, Nowak described her connection to Oefelein as "more than a working relationship but less than a romantic relationship."

So it was basically just a sexual relationship.  Did she ride Oefelein's love rocket in space?  That would probably be some kind of first - zero G space love and pioneering members of the 200 mile high club.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 10:39:41 AM »

Airlock

[clapping]

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 11:13:27 AM »
I find it interesting because stalking or activity like this is considered more a man thing but it just goes to show you there are some seriously love crazed women out there too.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 11:18:24 AM »
Space Madness [/ren and stimpy]

Chris

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 11:28:43 AM »
The naval Academy and Test Pilot School must be SOoooooo happy and proud today...

TC
TC
RT Refugee

crt360

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 11:38:56 AM »
It looks like in addition to attempted kidnapping, battery and whatnot, she's now been charged with attempted murder.

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 12:15:17 PM »
Space Madness [/ren and stimpy]

Chris

laugh 
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 12:16:24 PM »
"Baby wants a blast - baby needs it fast;
She wants a rocket ride!  She wants a rocket ride!"

(wid a tip o da hat to Ace Frehley...)
 grin
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 03:13:15 PM »
I find it interesting because stalking or activity like this is considered more a man thing but it just goes to show you there are some seriously love crazed women out there too.

Of course, chick magnets like me already knew that.   cheesy

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 04:20:13 PM »
Hey... There's some seriously weird women out there... I actually had a stalker a few years back...

Blog under construction

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 04:42:02 PM »
The article in today's local paper said that the accused astronaut, a married Navy captain, was having some sort of relationship with the other astronaut, a Navy commander, also married, who reciprocated her affections to some degree.  This will not do any good for their military careers.  By the time you get to be an O-6 and O-5, you are expected to be somewhat smarter when it comes to fraternization, or at the very least keep it out of the media. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »
Hey... There's some seriously weird women out there... I actually had a stalker a few years back...

How did that escape media attention?  I mean that's seriously out there.   cool

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 05:13:51 PM »
Military aside, I gather from a news story theres no NASA rules on fraternization.

Incidentally, the male astronaut involved went to the same high school up here as I did.  That's why I stay in Alaska, it wouldn't be fair to steal all your lower 48 women.  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."