Author Topic: Space Crime  (Read 1993 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Space Crime
« on: August 24, 2019, 02:20:01 PM »
Apparently the first crime (alleged) committed off world:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nasa-astronaut-identity-theft-bank-account-divorce-wife

I never thought about who might have jurisdiction on the ISS.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Space Crime
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 02:34:12 PM »
In before the lock.   :lol:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 06:09:52 PM »
Where's the diversity brigade? Here we have a first that's a woman AND a lesbian, but I don't see them excited about it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 11:26:03 PM »
I don't know much about the space program, but the only two astronaut criminals that come to mind are women.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 01:48:08 AM »
I don't know much about the space program, but the only two astronaut criminals that come to mind are women.

Obviously, the diversity brigade will have to recruit some male criminals into the space program.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 09:06:50 AM »

"Stunning and brave"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 09:09:56 AM »
You must believe the woman
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 09:22:43 AM »
Actually the OP wasn't about women or gays, it was about how one might prosecute crimes in space, or if currently, one could get away with committing crimes in space. If you're in the ISS, could you ask for asylum in a member country? If you're in a US spacecraft, I would presume, that like with an embassy, you are on "US soil".

There may already be legal documentation covering this, but I've never heard of any.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 09:42:34 AM »
In this case it was committed by a NASA employee on a NASA computer and maybe on NASA time so that might be a factor in jurisdiction also 
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 09:50:24 AM »
In this case it was committed by a NASA employee on a NASA computer and maybe on NASA time so that might be a factor in jurisdiction also 

I don't know, but I'm guessing crimes must have been committed by now in Antarctica. Laws are likely tied to individual country outposts, but there must be some guidelines for the continent itself. Those might be precedent for "space law".

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 12:29:40 PM »
Jurisdictional issues don't matter much any more - consider the prosecutions in the U.S.A. of drug lords who never set foot in U.S. territory. Or the "human rights" prosecutions by some European nations of people who never set foot in their country or harmed one of their citizens.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 12:45:34 PM »
Airlock her until she confesses.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 01:01:21 PM »
Yep.  Space her.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 01:58:17 PM »
Sweet, another home town girl!!!  Spokane now has the white NAACP president who pretends to this day to be black and now the 1st known space criminal...... it must be the heavy metals in the water from all of the mining upstream. ;)

bob

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 10:01:03 AM »
Spacecraft are in the legal jurisdiction of the sponsoring nation which launched them.

In the case of the ISS that gets muddied quite a bit.  The astronaut would have launched from Russia.  Then docked with the Russian portion of the ISS, then moved into portions deployed by the US during the Shuttle era.

But, I'm sure that there is already treaty or international agreement paperwork in the ISS founding documents that assigns legal jurisdiction for the actions of any astronaut back to his or her originating nation by default, to be sorted later via diplomatic channels if necessary.

Jurisdiction talk comes up a lot for SpaceX and Mars colonization fans.  In particular, what will it take for an outpost to actually become Martian rather than Chinese or American or whatever.  Never really considered it in context of a multinational outpost like the ISS though.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2019, 11:04:22 AM »
I guess I hadn't realized they had regular internet access from the space station. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2019, 11:16:04 AM »
I guess I hadn't realized they had regular internet access from the space station. 

They more than likely flow through a NASA firewall.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/nasa-communications-network-to-double-space-station-data-rates
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2019, 12:04:00 PM »
Apparently the first crime (alleged) committed off world:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nasa-astronaut-identity-theft-bank-account-divorce-wife

Ms. McClain has a novel defense:

McClain has denied these allegations, telling the inspector general’s office in an interview last week that she was acting in routine by checking the family’s finances to make sure they had sufficient funds to pay bills for their son.

Although they've been involved in an acrimonious divorce proceeding for a year, she refers to Worden's bank account as "the family's finances," and she refers to Worden's son as "their son" even though she (McClain) is not an adoptive parent. Good luck with that.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2019, 07:40:13 PM »
Love wins.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2019, 11:17:28 PM »
Love wins.

What's the game, and what's the prize?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2019, 12:27:49 PM »
I am disappoint, I was expecting some hot girl on girl space action... lez’s in real life always disappoint.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2019, 06:50:40 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2019, 06:26:35 AM »
Where’s Trump’s Space Force when it’s needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk