Author Topic: Space Force Rank Structure  (Read 2750 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Space Force Rank Structure
« on: August 28, 2020, 01:51:30 PM »
This was kinda interesting to me. Apparently Space Force is delaying their official rank structure. I guess they wanted to use Air Force ranks, but Dan Crenshaw is holding them up because he wants them to use Naval ranks. My personal viewpoint is that I see both sides of the argument.

As Space Force is basically, kinda sorta, Space Command, it makes sense that they stick with Air Force ranks. On the other hand, the SciFi geek in me is thinking 100 years into the future when we'll have space fleets. Then sure, it seems logical to have the crews of military spaceSHIPS use Naval ranking. Or turn Space Force into something akin to the current Dept of Navy, with both sailors and space marines.

https://news.yahoo.com/space-force-set-announce-rank-202945425.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Space Force Rank Structure
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 01:54:59 PM »
What? They should make whole new ranks...

Space Cadet
Space Cadet First Class
Rocketman
Orbiter

and so on for the enlisted...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 04:42:17 PM »
What? They should make whole new ranks...

Space Cadet
Space Cadet First Class
Rocketman
Orbiter

and so on for the enlisted...

Would stepping from non-com to commissioned ranks be considered "Achieving Escape Velocity"?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 04:47:42 PM »
"Laika" (after the dog who died in Sputnik 2) would be a good name for the highest ranking NCO.
"It's good, though..."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 05:27:15 PM »
Naval would make sense to me.  If we're going by scifi standards*,  spaceships are probably closer kin to to naval surface ships.  The mixed department model of the Navy would work,  as you could have Spacers and Marines.  The jobs remain similar,  the setting just changes.

And come on,  Friggin Space Marines!

*ala the Honor Harrington 'verse.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 05:30:20 PM »

And come on,  Friggin Space Marines!

Those colonial Marines are tough hombres.

=D =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 05:32:21 PM »
Touche  :cool:

I was thinking more 40K UltraMarines but hey.  I also can't figure out how to make that smaller..

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 05:42:30 PM »
Here's a smaller version :)

Touche  :cool:

I was thinking more 40K UltraMarines but hey.  I also can't figure out how to make that smaller..

"It's good, though..."

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 07:52:47 PM »
It should be modeled after Star Trek.  And all officers are addressed as Sir.  Eliminates the question of with which team they identify.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 07:58:40 PM »
It should be modeled after Star Trek.  And all officers are addressed as Sir.  Eliminates the question of with which team they identify.

A.  Commissioned officers are addressed as "sir."  Even in Star fleet it was "Captain Kirk"  or "Captain Picard."    Or "Lt. Uhuru."

B.  For Space Force rankings ....consult STARFLEET.  [tinfoil]    or maybe Colonel Steve Zodiac.   [tinfoil] [tinfoil]   [popcorn]   :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 08:18:53 PM »
Yes Space Marines!!!! With Mechs!!!

Naval Makes more sense considering eventually there will be 'Ships'. Eventually, probably, long after I'm dead, but we can all dream.

Plus no offense to anyone, but Air Force ranks just are silly, I think Monty Python make up Air Force ranks and structure. :)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 08:47:06 PM »

Plus no offense to anyone, but Air Force ranks just are silly, I think Monty Python make up Air Force ranks and structure. :)

I spent nearly 20 years going to Fairchild AFB at least weekly and I still don't understand the Air Force ranks!

All I know is I would like to think I singled handed caused them to change signage at the commissary and the Exchange. The signs used to say Chief parking and being a retired Navy Chief I parked in them. Who knew they thought a Chief was their version of an E9? I guess what we did as E7s in the Navy took them another two promotions to get there in the AF. :)

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 09:59:12 PM »
I spent nearly 20 years going to Fairchild AFB at least weekly and I still don't understand the Air Force ranks!

When I worked on stuff with Vandenberg, their liaison to us was almost always a Technical Sergeant. I could never figure out how to address them. With like a Staff Sergeant, it's easy enough to just say, "Hey Staff Sergeant", but "Hey Technical Sergeant" is just clunky, and I think they may have thought "Tech Sergeant" was an insulting contraction.

Being a civilian, it was easier for me to just say, "Hey, Joe".  :laugh:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 10:02:08 PM »

All I know is I would like to think I singled handed caused them to change signage at the commissary and the Exchange. The signs used to say Chief parking and being a retired Navy Chief I parked in them. Who knew they thought a Chief was their version of an E9? I guess what we did as E7s in the Navy took them another two promotions to get there in the AF. :)

bob

Slightly off topic but...

During some kind of big deal NRC/nuclear weapons inspection some of the inspectors were Air Force officers. One of them was kind of more of a prick than would be expected.
he was a Air Force Captain which is of course, and properly so, a Lieutenant in the Navy. Much mirth was generated out of his umbrage at being referred to as Lieutenant.  =D
During the inspection all of us lowly enlisted that were part of the PRP as well as the enlisted Torpedoman's Mates and Fire Control Technicians that actually had the responsibility of servicing and maintaining any hypothetical nuclear weapons and associated targeting systems that may or may not have ever been on board were treated to Captain Lieutenant's disdain for enlisted men actually having anything to do with nuclear weapons. Apparently in the USAF only officers can have anything to do with such weapons. After one of his rants about how enlisted shouldn't be involved the E-9 TM opined that since the Navy has never lost any nuclear weapons maybe the Air Force could learn something from us.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 10:02:33 PM »
When I worked on stuff with Vandenberg, their liaison to us was almost always a Technical Sergeant. I could never figure out how to address them. With like a Staff Sergeant, it's easy enough to just say, "Hey Staff Sergeant", but "Hey Technical Sergeant" is just clunky, and I think they may have thought "Tech Sergeant" was an insulting contraction.

Being a civilian, it was easier for me to just say, "Hey, Joe".  :laugh:

I thought they were all just call "Sergeant".  (same with Colonel and General)
"It's good, though..."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 10:20:28 PM »
Tech Sergeant is fine, it's even in the regs.

Source: Tech Sergeant
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2020, 10:23:04 PM »

During some kind of big deal NRC/nuclear weapons inspection some of the inspectors were Air Force officers. One of them was kind of more of a prick than would be expected.
he was a Air Force Captain which is of course, and properly so, a Lieutenant in the Navy. Much mirth was generated out of his umbrage at being referred to as Lieutenant.  =D
During the inspection all of us lowly enlisted that were part of the PRP as well as the enlisted Torpedoman's Mates and Fire Control Technicians that actually had the responsibility of servicing and maintaining any hypothetical nuclear weapons and associated targeting systems that may or may not have ever been on board were treated to Captain Lieutenant's disdain for enlisted men actually having anything to do with nuclear weapons. Apparently in the USAF only officers can have anything to do with such weapons. After one of his rants about how enlisted shouldn't be involved the E-9 TM opined that since the Navy has never lost any nuclear weapons maybe the Air Force could learn something from us.

Checkmate.   :lol:

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2020, 10:25:27 PM »

:laugh:

Take that,  chair force.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2020, 10:25:49 PM »
The recruiter promised me space shuttle door gunner.  :'(
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2020, 10:28:15 PM »
I had a similar run-in as with CAPT-LT. With a language barrier. The XO of a Russian destroyer has a hard time getting his head around the fact that a E-6(me) is as much authority as he is going to get on a Sunday because the CDO is busy.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2020, 10:32:52 PM »

Where were you ten years ago? :P  :laugh:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2020, 11:22:57 PM »
Surely they won't call enlisted Airmen will they? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2020, 12:04:27 AM »

"Fred Kwan as Tech Sergeant Chen."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2020, 12:55:13 AM »
since the Navy has never lost any nuclear weapons maybe the Air Force could learn something from us.

Didn't the Scorpion have nuclear-tipped torpedoes on board when she was lost in '68?

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2020, 01:25:28 AM »
Didn't the Scorpion have nuclear-tipped torpedoes on board when she was lost in '68?

The Navy can neither confirm nor deny the presence of nuclear weapons on board its warships.

But seriously, only the air force has accidentally hauled nukes across the country.  We aren't going to count mission losses, those have happened to everyone, just actual dumbassery, like not checking to see if the cruise missiles on your wing are warshots.