Author Topic: Space Guardians  (Read 1748 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Space Guardians
« on: December 18, 2020, 06:10:24 PM »
Apparently a year long process and they came up with "Guardians" for the name of Space Force Personnel. Seems like there were a dozen or so better options available.

https://twitter.com/SpaceForceDoD/status/1340054052894326785/photo/1
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Space Guardians
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 06:19:02 PM »
I am Groot
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 06:29:59 PM »
I am Groot

I dare you to say that again about my mother
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 08:08:01 PM »
The past future is before us!    =D [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 08:12:33 PM »
I dare you to say that again about my mother

I am Groot!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 08:52:05 PM »
My days of not taking the space force seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

The damned Chair Force can't even create an awesome new sub branch right.

We've got  so much established Science Fiction to plagiarize , there's no shortage of better names.  Should've been the Navy in charge, then we could've had Space Marines..  Leave it to the *expletive deleted*ing AF to screw up proto-Adeptus Astartes
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 08:55:20 PM »
I dunno, maybe it will just take time for it to grow on us. Like a couple hundred years when we have our first interstellar battle with hostile aliens and we send the Guardian fleets out to protect Earth.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 08:58:28 PM »
I dunno, maybe it will just take time for it to grow on us. Like a couple hundred years when we have our first interstellar battle with hostile aliens and we send the Guardian fleets out to protect Earth.

The aliens would just ridicule them for their pretentious and gay name  :P

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 10:22:18 PM »
Where do I sign up for Jedi school?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 03:46:19 PM »
Where do I sign up for Jedi school?
In real life you have to complete Lensman training first, silly.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 04:11:23 PM »
For general informaiton;
New York Guardians - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Guardians

The New York Guardians are a professional American football team based in the New York metropolitan area. The team is an owned-and-operated member of the new XFL founded by Vince McMahon's Alpha Entertainment and plays its home games at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

There also used to be a citizen protective group called the Guardians, if I recall correctly.

ETA Oh, here it is.  "Guardian Angels."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardian_Angels
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 04:44:32 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2020, 10:11:37 PM »
In real life you have to complete Lensman training first, silly.

I had to look that up, that wasn't in my nerd wheelhouse.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 02:00:08 PM »
I wonder if this was just some general thinking it would sound cooler to 18 year olds.  Sort of like making that HK experimental rifle made to look like a Starship Troopers gun. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2020, 06:45:24 PM »
This whole Space Force thing, IMHO, is a sign of the problem in the federal government.  They create bureaus, divisions, and now military divisions.  Every federal agency has its own criminal investigation division, some with their own tactical team.  Why does each department need its own investigators and tac team?  So, we have the Space Force.  Aren't they just Air Force personnel assigned to monitor activity in space for threats?  Why do they need their own branch designation?  Why not just a unit under Air Force command, like the Army has aviation units and even boat units?

Rant off.  Army beat Air Force yesterday. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2020, 07:45:50 PM »
This whole Space Force thing, IMHO, is a sign of the problem in the federal government.  They create bureaus, divisions, and now military divisions.  Every federal agency has its own criminal investigation division, some with their own tactical team.  Why does each department need its own investigators and tac team?  So, we have the Space Force.  Aren't they just Air Force personnel assigned to monitor activity in space for threats?  Why do they need their own branch designation?  Why not just a unit under Air Force command, like the Army has aviation units and even boat units?

Rant off.  Army beat Air Force yesterday. 

They had Space Command and the various Space Wings in the Air Force. Actually, I wonder what happens to all those personnel?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2020, 11:57:24 AM »
Enter the Chieftain. Video was released Sat
The Space Force is included.

Military Civics: The Many Armies of the United States
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAsZz_f-DUA&t=360s

Note: you may want to have your favorite headache pill on hand

« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 12:13:46 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2020, 12:17:29 PM »
They had Space Command and the various Space Wings in the Air Force. Actually, I wonder what happens to all those personnel?

Considering it deals with space, they will be assimilated, resistance is futile.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2020, 04:40:19 PM »
The Space Force in general, and the Guardians moniker in particular, is being excoriated in the Air Force community. It seems to have the same level of respect as hydrogen-powered Zeppelins.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2020, 04:51:26 PM »
Oh, what a tangled web we weave.... period.

I heard the new stimulus bill is 5000 pages long.

Oh, what a tangled web we weave.... period.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2020, 10:57:10 PM »

The Navy used to have SPAWARS - Space and Naval Warfare Sytems Command.
https://timesofsandiego.com/military/2019/06/03/spawar-gets-name-change-naval-information-warfare-systems-command/

I will always think the Navy, and particularly the submarine service, would have been a better choice to split off and form a Space Navy. What in the ever loving *expletive deleted*ck does the chair force know about long deployments cooped up in ultra tight spaces?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2020, 12:33:04 AM »
https://timesofsandiego.com/military/2019/06/03/spawar-gets-name-change-naval-information-warfare-systems-command/

I will always think the Navy, and particularly the submarine service, would have been a better choice to split off and form a Space Navy. What in the ever loving *expletive deleted*ck does the chair force know about long deployments cooped up in ultra tight spaces?

Made more sense when they were the Army Air Corps honestly. AF is a support branch. I'll even concede that much for my Marine Corps.   No point in Marines without our big sister branch.  Without the Navy, we'd be an elite, better dressed part of the Army.

I'm really disappointed that our space program is still in it's infancy,  the Chair Force ended up in charge of it, and there won't be Space Marines.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2020, 08:47:17 AM »

I wonder if that name change was influenced by Space Force? I interacted a bit with SPAWAR when we did some flights for NAVAIR out NAS Point Mugu. They had a really cool "pre-UAS" UAS setup, flying remote control F-4s, mostly as target drones I think.