Author Topic: Reid introduces lautenberg powder bill!!!  (Read 6394 times)

birdman

• friend
Reid introduces lautenberg powder bill!!!
« on: April 24, 2013, 07:11:16 PM »
Starting a new thread because $hit got real:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/04/foghorn/breaking-reid-introduces-bill-for-background-checks-for-ammunition/#more-221611

Just hours ago Harry Reid, Senate majority leader, introduced Frank Lautenberg’s knee-jerk reaction bill that would place restrictions and require background checks for anyone buying “explosive powder.” Depending on the bill’s language, it would include not only loose gunpowder (such as that used by handloaders) but could also cover standard ammunition cartridges. Lautenberg and Reid are trying to label these propellants as “explosives” in the wake of the Boston bombings and use that tragedy to limit general access to ammunition and reloading components . . .
It’s a back door way to make gun ownership more difficult and possibly put smaller local ammunition manufacturers out of business. After the stinging defeat of the “common sense” gun control proposals the Democrats tried to ram through the Senate, there’s little doubt that they will redouble their efforts to hurry this bill through while the Boston bombing is still fresh in the public’s mind. Watch this space.

Okay people, this could be bad if this gets traction as it risks "it won't affect me" responses if people don't really understand what it could do.

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Reid introduces lautenberg powder bill!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:31:57 PM »
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:39:44 PM »
The "got real" is waaaay premature.

http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-bill/792/text

Until it has multiple co-sponsors and text to read it isn't any kind of threat.

Shoot your Senators an email and don't worry about the sky falling. Track it but don't give it more attention, and thus validity.

And for goodness sake don't rile up the folks who have to forward every damn alarmist email they get instead of checking them out first.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 09:09:52 PM »
Real or not, as soon as people hear that propellant might be affected, good luck getting yourself some W231 anytime in the next year. Hello additional panic buying. Not that I should talk, since I just ordered a bunch of BP last week because I was afraid we would run into the same panic buying shortages with that as with standard ammo and components.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:21:27 PM »

Shoot your Senators an email and don't worry about the sky falling. Track it but don't give it more attention, and thus validity.

And for goodness sake don't rile up the folks who have to forward every damn alarmist email they get instead of checking them out first.

Apologies, for a perceived "sky is falling".  However, I will bet you it has co-sponsors within days. 

I did check it out, but it went from lautenberg saying something to Reid introducing it to committee, meaning it isn't total BS.  Its a shot across the bow, and my reason for bringing it up was the sooner we can all inform and contact, the sooner we can stop the spin that I guarantee will happen.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 09:56:31 PM »
Real or not, as soon as people hear that propellant might be affected, good luck getting yourself some W231 anytime in the next year. Hello additional panic buying. Not that I should talk, since I just ordered a bunch of BP last week because I was afraid we would run into the same panic buying shortages with that as with standard ammo and components.

That is what is going to piss me off the most. Its like tulipmania in a way.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »
Can these ****heads stfu long enough for the market to settle a bit?

I am starting to get a little cranky.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 10:22:09 PM »
Wait, didn't the Boston bozos use fireworks to make their bombs?
Never let a crisis go to waste.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 10:32:08 PM »
Can these ****heads stfu long enough for the market to settle a bit?

I am starting to get a little cranky.

no *expletive deleted*it, all I want is a 3-4 lbs of powder for reloading and this years range sessions.

Uranus is a gas giant.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 10:56:23 PM »
To The (Dis)Honorable Harry Reid,

FOADIAF!

Sincerely, America

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 11:02:22 PM »

If I write my worthless senators, that will just put this on their radar screen and they will co-sponsor it.
"It's good, though..."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 06:11:46 PM »
I'llbe curious to watch how this plays out, because this one does hit the "sportsmen," and hard.  At least in Ohio, primative hunters using b.p. are a significant number, especially in deer season.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 06:29:17 PM »
"As of 04/26/2013 text has not been received for S.792 - A bill to strengthen the enforcement of background checks with respect to the use of explosive materials."

Didn't mean to sound all superior, just that we only have so much energy and attention and the usual suspects (and usual co-sponsors) doing the same old thing with the same old bills shouldn't be our focus.

No co-sponsors yet either, the press play on the bombers probably hasn't helped, they haven't been banging the gunpowder drum very loudly as yet.  The fact the bombers were Muslim but weren't well-armed and used a bunch of recreational fireworks (more control of which would affect even more "normal" voters than muzzleloader users) has blown their narrative all to hell.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 08:17:12 PM »
They can't ban fireworks.

How else would we celebrate our freedom for which the Muslims hate us?   :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 10:40:35 PM »
They can't ban fireworks.

How else would we celebrate our freedom for which the Muslims hate us?   :angel:

Pretty much banned here in Illinois.  All you can buy is stuff that makes smoke, nothing that can go *bang*.  However, take 80/94 East and at every exit just over the border in Indiana there are 2-4 fireworks places selling everything short of TNT. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 11:10:20 PM »
However, take 80/94 East and at every exit just over the border in Indiana there are 2-4 fireworks places selling everything short of TNT. 

Sounds ripe for a sting by Mayors Illegalizing Legal Fireworks.  In other words, a MILF attack.

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 11:36:48 PM »
Sounds ripe for a sting by Mayors Illegalizing Legal Fireworks.  In other words, a MILF attack.

Long way to go for that joke...    :facepalm:
"It's good, though..."

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 08:44:54 AM »

Since Harry introduced it, wouldn't that be a harry milf attack?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 09:13:43 AM »
One of our guys should introduce a pressure cooker background check bill just to be a dick
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

birdman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 09:14:44 AM »
I'llbe curious to watch how this plays out, because this one does hit the "sportsmen," and hard.  At least in Ohio, primative hunters using b.p. are a significant number, especially in deer season.

As I said earlier, and yes, I agree with Matthew, that we should keep an eye on this, but not panic yet (which was not my intention, but rather to show that Reid was now involved), its NOT just BP, it includes smokeless, "in any quantity", meaning, say, small containers with copper/lead caps.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 09:58:58 AM »

Many muzzleloader don't use BP but BP subsititues like Pyrodex, Triple 7, and Blackhorn 209. I personally like Blackhorn 209 for my inline shotgun primer fired muzzleloader.

Uranus is a gas giant.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 10:13:29 AM »
Pretty much banned here in Illinois.  All you can buy is stuff that makes smoke, nothing that can go *bang*.  However, take 80/94 East and at every exit just over the border in Indiana there are 2-4 fireworks places selling everything short of TNT. 

Ditto just over the line going from South Beloit, IL to Beloit, WI.  Literally, just past the "welcome to Wisconsin" sign. 

You can also see that the road is visibly better maintained on the far side.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 10:23:22 AM »
One of our guys should introduce a pressure cooker background check bill just to be a dick

I'd give whoever did that a campaign donation.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »
If you want to play around with pressure cookers, you should become a professional chef  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 11:18:39 AM »
Ditto just over the line going from South Beloit, IL to Beloit, WI.  Literally, just past the "welcome to Wisconsin" sign.  

You can also see that the road is visibly better maintained on the far side.

Was it de Tocqueville that observed a similar difference on either bank of the Ohio River, between Illinois and Kentucky? I.e., the free state had a thriving economy, and the slave state not so much?

[scratches head] maybe a later writer.  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife