Author Topic: Reid introduces lautenberg powder bill!!!  (Read 6393 times)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Reid introduces lautenberg powder bill!!!
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »
Long way to go for that joke...    :facepalm:

That's okay.  I had the time.  =D
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 11:59:43 AM »
One of our guys should introduce a pressure cooker background check bill just to be a dick

Careful.  These guys just might pass that.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 12:01:12 PM »
Many muzzleloader don't use BP but BP subsititues like Pyrodex, Triple 7, and Blackhorn 209. I personally like Blackhorn 209 for my inline shotgun primer fired muzzleloader.
Same here, but Lautenberg's ban covers all powder: Black, Substitute, and Smokeless.  It affects us all, but muzzleloader shooters will notice it first and most acutely.

Chris

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 12:13:51 PM »
Just because they bill has not text doesn't mean you shouldn't watch it. The bill can sit and sit and sit and then at the last minute have actual text amended into it and then rammed through when people aren't looking.
Look, tiny text!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 12:24:52 PM »
Just because they bill has not text doesn't mean you shouldn't watch it. The bill can sit and sit and sit and then at the last minute have actual text amended into it and then rammed through when people aren't looking.

Or added as an amendment to something else
Cough Hughes amendment cough

Waitone

• friend
Lautenberg's Gunpowder Control Bill Details
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
Shortly after the Boston bombing Lautenberg quite predictably went after gun powder stuff.  The press release has now been followed with specifics.  And yes, reloaders will take it in the shorts should the good senator have his way.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/05/08/New-Explosives-License-Impinges-on-Gun-Owners-that-Load-Own-Ammo
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 07:40:12 PM »
In the past I would have said that this would be DOA in the House, but these days I don't count my chickens before they hatch. It bears close watching.

It just kills me that the answer to a bomb made with fireworks that are illegal in MA is to highly restrict BP for firearms, while fireworks aren't even mentioned (not that they should be). And of course we all called it here when we said they wouldn't know the difference between BP and propellant.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 07:46:28 PM »
Looks like the bill is also going after smokeless powder.   =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »
Still only two cosponsors.  Schumer and a Maryland Dem.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 09:54:19 AM »
In the past I would have said that this would be DOA in the House, but these days I don't count my chickens before they hatch. It bears close watching.

It just kills me that the answer to a bomb made with fireworks that are illegal in MA is to highly restrict BP for firearms, while fireworks aren't even mentioned (not that they should be). And of course we all called it here when we said they wouldn't know the difference between BP and propellant.

+1 to not counting on the House.

So do propellants not blow up good? No can make the bomb? (I'm trying to keep this in language that even Congressfolk can comprehend.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 10:15:36 AM »

So do propellants not blow up good? No can make the bomb? (I'm trying to keep this in language that even Congressfolk can comprehend.)

It does not detonate, it deflagrates (technical terms)  This probably doesn't help with the keep it simple part...

"Blow'd up real good" could be a detonation or a deflagration.

ETA: a deflagration explodes when its containment vessel ruptures and suddenly releases the hot gasses inside.  A detonation does not require containment.  The difference is the propagation rate of the reaction.  If the reaction front exceeds the speed of sound in that medium, it transitions to a detonation.  Think a big pile of ammonium nitrate that catches on fire.  :'(  It burns faster and faster, but the explosion (detonation) doesn't occur until it reaches... whatever the speed of sound in is ammonium nitrate. Then it all goes at once
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:32:46 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 10:35:03 AM »

Marky Mark showed me that IMR rifle powder makes good pipe bombs, so it must be true.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 10:37:10 AM »

Burns (relatively slowly) rather than explodes and requires a pressure vessel to contain pressure to a point where it gets dangerous.  

Pile of BP on a plate in the middle of a field get lit off?  Smoke, heat and poof.  Same BP in a sealed pipe/can/cooker and if the pressure builds enough to rupture the vessel, it will let it all loose at once.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 10:37:41 AM »

Was it de Tocqueville that observed a similar difference on either bank of the Ohio River, between Illinois and Kentucky? I.e., the free state had a thriving economy, and the slave state not so much?

[scratches head] maybe a later writer.  ???

Yes, that is who it was.  Democracy in America.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 03:30:23 PM »
Hey, so are they gonna amend the bill to cover this?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/10/500-pounds-still-missing-explosives-highlights-federal-security-flaws/

Right after the amend the UBC bill to cover fast n' furious type operations.   ;/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2013, 06:25:44 PM »
This part made me hoot in derision.

While Beyersdorf stressed that security at ATF-affiliated facilities in the country is tight, there have been an alarming amount of explosives lost from private sites over the past decade.

http://www.twincities.com/wisconsin/ci_23117546/milwaukee-before-failed-gun-sting-atf-mishandled-other

From that article:

...the October 2012 burglary of the ATF's undercover storefront in Riverwest, about five miles away, where thieves made off with about $40,000 in merchandise.
Two of the same ATF agents were involved in both sting operations, the documents and interviews by the Journal Sentinel reveal.  One is the undercover agent who had guns stolen from his car in Riverwest, including a machine gun that hasn't been recovered.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2013, 07:44:30 PM »
It does not detonate, it deflagrates (technical terms)  This probably doesn't help with the keep it simple part...

"Blow'd up real good" could be a detonation or a deflagration.

ETA: a deflagration explodes when its containment vessel ruptures and suddenly releases the hot gasses inside.  A detonation does not require containment.  The difference is the propagation rate of the reaction.  If the reaction front exceeds the speed of sound in that medium, it transitions to a detonation.  Think a big pile of ammonium nitrate that catches on fire.  :'(  It burns faster and faster, but the explosion (detonation) doesn't occur until it reaches... whatever the speed of sound in is ammonium nitrate. Then it all goes at once

I've read something like that before. I guess what I'm asking is, is there a difference between black powder and smokeless, as far as making bombs is concerned? Why are people talking about there being a difference between BP and propellant?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »
Pressure.

Propellant's burn rate varies with pressure.  BP's burn rate doesn't. (or not significantly, anyway.)

In open air, propellant just burns fast, while BP still "pops."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 10:29:18 PM »

I've read something like that before. I guess what I'm asking is, is there a difference between black powder and smokeless, as far as making bombs is concerned? Why are people talking about there being a difference between BP and propellant?

I think BP goes from low gear to high gear pretty much in one step if it's contained -- doesn't take much confinement at all.

Smokeless has a lot more energy per pound that BP, and the more you confine it the faster it burns.  I don't know if it's possible to detonate with a large enough amount and sufficient containment or not; it's designed not to.  (cool word of the day: phlegmatizer)

So it's much easier to make a bomb using black powder, but the yield will be lower than a properly made device using smokeless powder.

I am not an expert on such things, just know something about it.  I may be totally wrong about some of the details.
"It's good, though..."