Author Topic: Man bites dog!, Journalist taken in by fake story that confirms his bias  (Read 2048 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Oh, and the bias? Religion is an unhealthy delusion and the religious ought to be considered mentally ill:

http://www.thenewsnerd.com/health/apa-to-classify-belief-in-god-as-a-mental-illness/

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/sarah-stites/2015/07/27/journalist-laments-we-wont-be-forcing-faithful-straightjackets

Seems Mr. Tayler wants to put his political opponents in Jail er.. an "institution."

Other quotes from the fully rational Mr. Tayler:
“Imagine, so many Supreme Court justices and Republican politicians, from Antonin Scalia to Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum, disqualified in one fell swoop on mental health grounds from holding public office!”

He'd be eager to load us all onto cattle cars.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Yep, one of hte biggest reasons to not give up arms is due to folk like him in positions of influence.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
strong and passionate belief in a deity or higher power, to the point where it impairs one’s ability to make conscientious decisions about common sense matters

Define "conscientious", "decisions", and "common sense matters".

Because taken at the commonly understood meanings, there is a guy living off of welfare in DC who exhibits the problem of not being able to make conscientious decisions about common sense matters, and who professes to have a strong and passionate belief in a deity or higher power.  I'll be glad to point out where he lives.

Did you know that not being mentally ill is a mental illness?

Someone has got to put a stop to this scamming of third party reimbursement payers.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
The issue with the APA and it's latest round of attempts to add to the DSMV is that they seem to have confused the possibility of mental illness based on actual symptoms with other stuff.

The whole "100% of serial killers drank milk as children, there for drinking milk causes people to become serial killers" issue.

There are certainly people out there who's mental illness is expressed in religious terms, but being religious is not a mental illness in of itself.

Neither is being a gun owner.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
Amazing how many people view "common sense" as anything they agree with....but I guess that is why it is not a legal term.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
There are certainly people out there who's mental illness is expressed in religious terms, but being religious is not a mental illness in of itself.

This was what I was thinking.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
This was what I was thinking.

Well, religion does lend itself well as a "rational" reason to hearing voices. If someone is clinging to any sanity they might possess, god speaking to them is a lot nicer concept than their brain is FUBAR.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dogmush

• friend
Well, religion does lend itself well as a "rational" reason to hearing voices. If someone is clinging to any sanity they might possess, god speaking to them is a lot nicer concept than their brain is FUBAR.

This happened to my cousin's ex.  Started hearing voices, convinced himself it was God, then started obeying the voice, hard left into *expletive deleted*ing crazy.  My cousin and her kid got out before the fire, but there's some trauma there.

MechAg94

• friend
There are religious examples, but there are also plenty of examples that are non-religious.  Take the author of the article for example.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
MechAg94 remarked,

Amazing how many people view "common sense" as anything they agree with....but I guess that is why it is not a legal term.

No, but "reasonable" and "reasonable man" are, with the same pitfalls.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
MechAg94 remarked,

No, but "reasonable" and "reasonable man" are, with the same pitfalls.

Damned If You Do (2004)

Sister Mary Augustine: I don't believe He is inside me, and is going to save me, I believe He is inside me whether I live or die.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0606018/quotes?item=qt0435104

I would say this would be my personal marker for the difference between religious refusal and religiously based delusions.
Basically, if a person is capable of understanding the reality of what science says are their chances, than they are capable of refusing medical assistance on whatever grounds they want.
I'm pretty sure a lot of those Jehovah's Witnesses know they will die without blood or surgery. If that's what they want, then let them die.

The only issue I wouldn't want to touch with a 100 foot pole is someone with religious beliefs refusing medical care for a child that will result in the probably death of the child when the medical care is standard medical practice. =|

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.

I would say this would be my personal marker for the difference between religious refusal and religiously based delusions.
Basically, if a person is capable of understanding the reality of what science says are their chances, than they are capable of refusing medical assistance on whatever grounds they want.
I'm pretty sure a lot of those Jehovah's Witnesses know they will die without blood or surgery. If that's what they want, then let them die.
The only issue I wouldn't want to touch with a 100 foot pole is someone with religious beliefs refusing medical care for a child that will result in the probably death of the child when the medical care is standard medical practice. =|

I know a few Jehovah's Witnesses and they do not reject surgery -- in fact one has undergone several surgeries.
They do reject blood transfusions,  but will accept blood expanders.
I respect a lot of their beliefs, however, I do have some problems with their principles of neutrality in so far as international politics is concerned....and their abstintion from participating in voting.  
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
and their abstintion from participating in voting.  

Apparently that's an individual thing.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
It's mainly Christian Scientists, and I think 7th Day Adventists too.

As for what you do when it is a child?  Two options: try to convince the courts that the child, regardless of their protestations otherwise, is too young to have sincerely held religious beliefs and seek an order taking the kid away and another telling doctors to treat; or you stop trying to impose your will and beliefs on another.

styay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Man bites dog!, Journalist taken in by fake story that confirms his bias
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 04:35:11 PM »
^
...you stop trying to impose your will and beliefs on another.

Well, now, you see, that's reasonable to them.

But not to me, with me being a firm believer in letting everyone go to hell in their own choice of handbasket --at whatever speed they choose.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:53:52 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.