Author Topic: Gluing a front sight insert?  (Read 434 times)

Cliffh

• friend
Gluing a front sight insert?
« on: December 28, 2023, 07:57:31 PM »
I've got an older Taurus .357.  The front sight has an orange plastic (?) insert, which is now loose and will easily slide out of the dovetail it's in.

CA glue might be too brittle, contact cement isn't going to work.  Epoxy has possibilities, but would it stand up to cleaning solvents?

What do y'all think about cutting a groove into the glued edges, both on the insert and the sight post itself?  Not deep, just enough to give the glue a place to grab.

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Gluing a front sight insert?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 08:23:42 PM »
Don’t groove it. Just clean and degrease it and use a simple contact cement.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 08:30:48 PM »
I don't think contact cement's going to work.  Contact cement instructions are to coat both pieces, let the glue set, them press them together.  The insert has to slide sideways (about 1/8") into the post - the glue's going to grab as soon as the two come into contact and not let it slide into position. 

I haven't tried using contact cement without letting it set first.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 09:53:49 PM »
One of the varieties of JB Weld?
There are solvent resistant epoxies. LocTite makes one for plastic, not sure how compatible it is with steel.
What about marine tex? That stuff is amazing. Expensive, but amazing.
7-11 was a part time job.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 09:06:52 AM »
The insert is plastic, and a lot of adhesives don't stick to certain plastics very well.

From the description, this might work to glue your existing red insert back in:

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/general-gunsmith-tools/adhesives-solder/black-max-adhesive/

Brownell's also makes a complete sight insert kit:

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/gun-tools/gun-sight-tools/front-sight-insert-kit/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 08:10:55 PM »
Using their "Find a dealer" app didn't show anyone in my area that sells the marine tex.  I will keep them in mind, that might come in handy with a couple of projects and/or emergencies.

The glue at Brownell's looks good, I'll be ordering a tube of that.

Brownell's acrylic kit has me thinking about other kits I've seen, especially those that are clear and come in smaller quantities.  Think I'll put that on my "experiments" list - get a small kit and try tinting with various materials, something that reflects light...  If a mixture seems to work well, I can always cut out the existing insert and pour a new one.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 08:25:49 PM »
I stumbled across this, it may help. I would have never known they used clamped forms.

https://gunsmagazine.com/discover/secrets-of-the-red-front-sight-insert/

bob

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2023, 08:49:47 PM »
I stumbled across this, it may help. I would have never known they used clamped forms.

https://gunsmagazine.com/discover/secrets-of-the-red-front-sight-insert/

bob

There's a lot of great info in that article - Thank you!  Especially starting with a thin mix and thickening it 3 times.  The idea of drilling a couple holes in the bottom to give the insert a mechanical hold is something I've done in other projects, and what I was talking about when I mentioned earlier carving a groove in the mating surfaces.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2023, 01:23:39 AM »
Find out what Taurus was using, and don't use that.

Just for the sake of useless information, my Taurus sight does not have an insert, but I painted it with red nail polish which is getting worn off after about 20 years.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2023, 08:59:45 PM »
Find out what Taurus was using, and don't use that.

Just for the sake of useless information, my Taurus sight does not have an insert, but I painted it with red nail polish which is getting worn off after about 20 years.

Terry, 230RN

=D