Author Topic: Glenn Beck: Bush's Compassionate Conservatism Must 'Die Violent Death'  (Read 5916 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Glenn Beck: Bush's Compassionate Conservatism Must 'Die Violent Death'

Monday, May 25, 2009 1:46 PM

Article Font Size 

If the Republican Party has any chance of regaining its leading position, it must put to "death" George W. Bush's "compassionate conservatism," says top talker Glenn Beck.

Beck, a rising ratings star at Fox News and one the nation's leading talk hosts, has earned his popularity taking on some of the most cherished shibboleths of the Republican establishment.

During a Fox News interview with top radio talker Rush Limbaugh this past Thursday, Beck used the occasion to slam Bush's policies as inherently detrimental to core Republican principles.

Beck asked Limbaugh: "Rush, will you — help me out on this, because you always get thrown under the bus, that — well, you know, where were you when George Bush was spending, et cetera, et cetera. Address — because I — I have to tell you, the Republican Party doesn't get it. You just said, echoed again what I was saying about the progressive Republicans. George Bush, this compassionate conservative movement has got to die a violent death."

Limbaugh agreed with Beck's assessment that Bush had gone off the GOP reservation.

Limbaugh responded: "Yes, Glenn, let me tell you something. I don't — personally, I don't mind people asking me that question, 'Where were you with all the spending?' I remember — I don't want to mention any names — I was getting phone calls from people in the White House angry because I was opposed to every attempt they made to amnesty. I was opposed to the Medicare expansion. . . And they have found a way and called me mad as he can be. 'What do you mean this is good — good in the private sector?' I said, 'No, it's an entitlement and Republicans don't do that.' . . . but the elected Republicans — here's the problem with it — when you're a Republican and your president is a Republican, you have to go along with it. If you break from him, then you got party disunity and so forth."

President George W. Bush was the largest social spender in history, according to a recent report by the Mercatus Center at George Mason University. In his first term Bush increased discretionary spending 19 percent. During Bush's second term federal spending increased 49 percent.

The Mercatus Center said Bush's spending made President Bill Clinton's administration look conservative.

The Center noted: "Adjusted for inflation, in eight years, President Clinton increased the federal budget by 11 percent. In eight years, President Bush increased it by a whopping 104 percent."

Beck suggested the stakes are high unless the GOP gets back to its roots.

He told Limbaugh: "And I'll tell you, they keep making the argument that if you vote for a conservative — oh, well, we're going to round up, you know, all of the unwed mothers and throw them in furnaces or whatever it is. That's not what this movement is about, at all. You're right on the social aspect. What this movement is about is they are destroying our children's future. Look, I don't care what you do in your own bedroom. You — we won't have a bedroom left anymore. We're all going to be living in Hooverville or Obamaville if we don't stop the spending."

© 2009 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/beck_limbaugh_bush/2009/05/25/217943.html?s=al&promo_code=806B-1

Micro Sez: So now they get it.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
The conservative movement is built on reason.  Compassion means putting aside reason.  The two are unfriendly bedfellows but occasionally they produce warped offspring, nonetheless.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in

Who gets it?  All I see is two conservatives talking about the problems they had with Bush for the past few years.  No new revelations there.  No changes of heart. 

The conservative movement is built on reason.  Compassion means putting aside reason. 

[scratches head]  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Standing Wolf

• friend
Government gives churches a free tax ride, then takes over charity and taxes the workers and peasants.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Sergeant Bob

• friend

Who gets it?  All I see is two conservatives talking about the problems they had with Bush for the past few years.  No new revelations there.  No changes of heart. 

Indeed. If you think they are just now getting it, you haven't listened to either Rush or Glenn very much. You are only parrotting what you've "heard" about them. Like my high school metal shop teacher used to say, "Don't listen to the heard"

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MicroBalrog

• friend
I have been listening to Glenn and Rush during the primary season. I have gotten the impression that their conservatism one of attitude more than of ideology.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I would actually like to know who you think finally gets what. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
Kompassion means bending the rules to favor politically favored or protected classes.  There is always an ulterior motive that requires trashing Constitutional principles, and it almost always masquerades as a warmer heart but is better described as "noblesse oblige."  Noblesse is what has driven the affluent liberal lunacy for decades now.  It will end with absence of both honor and affluence.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Seenterman

• friend
The conservative movement is built on reason.  Compassion means putting aside reason. 

What are you a vulcan? There can be both.

longeyes

• friend
Yes, I'm a Vulcan.  Clever of you to notice.

Notice I spelled it "Kompassion," by which I meant the politicizing of the concept of compassion and creating "exemptions" to reasoned argument that rely on feeling.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Compassion and Reason can coexist.  Reasonable people use their money to facilitate Compassion as their individual morals dictate.  Some people just can not help their station in life.
The problem exists when government decides to regulate and issue compassion.  To me, dictating compassion is just the same as state sponsored religion. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

longeyes

• friend
A lot of things can co-exist.  The question is how long and how well--and at what price.   "Compassion," as it is currently being defined and applied in this society, will lead inevitably to an abrogation of individual rights.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
What is more compassionate?....providing opportunities for someone to be independent or forcing someone to be dependent on a all-controlling power?

It comes down to a choice b/t Jeremiah Johnson or 1984....which would you choose?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
...Some people just can not help their station in life...

Wow what a neat way to say some folks are born just too stupid/slow/small/ugly/weak etc. to change the life station they inevitably assume due to the aforementioned geniticaly controlled characteristics.

NOTE: Not being sarcastic at all. That's really a neat way to say that regardless of what Jefferson wanted the common folk to believe:

WE ARE NOT ALL CREATED EQUAL!

In the genetic lottery some folk really are more fortunate than others (but then I don't think that's what the dems have in mind when they say that).
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
I think you mistake Jefferson's intentions.  In the eyes of the law and the government, we are all created equal (or should be treated so). 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
I think you mistake Jefferson's intentions.  In the eyes of the law and the government, we are all created equal (or should be treated so). 
Without doubt you are correct sir:

Unfortunately the current crop and most preceding generations since Lincoln labor under the mistaken view that Jefferson literally meant created EQUAL.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Government gives churches a free tax ride, then takes over charity and taxes the workers and peasants.

The power to tax is the power to destroy.  Can't actually HAVE "freedom of religion" without that pesky "free ride" the churches are getting.....
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

MicroBalrog

• friend
The power to tax is the power to destroy.  Can't actually HAVE "freedom of religion" without that pesky "free ride" the churches are getting.....

Why would paying tax "destroy" churches? It didn't seem to have destroyed... all the other types of business that pay taxes?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Why would paying tax "destroy" churches? It didn't seem to have destroyed... all the other types of business that pay taxes?

Because churches aren't businesses?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Why would paying taxes destroy churches?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
Why would paying taxes destroy churches?

They are not profit making entities (not most of 'em, anyway). If you can't see the difference between a member funded non-profit organization and a business I'm not sure I can help you; the difference seems obvious to me.

And regardless of whether or not treating them as a business would insta-gib all of them, it's still a pretty clear violation of the whole freedom of religion thing.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
You see, here's what bothers me about the whole enterprise:

1. Governments (especially the US one) manipulating churches by threatening to withdraw their tax-exempt status.
2. What does it matter what I use the money for? A for-profit private school benefits society quite as much as a non-profit institution.
3. THe whole notion of tax exemptions encourages people to file detailed reports of every financial activity to the state. "Look, I did this and this, so I qualify for this and this exemption!"

In my view, all tax exemptions should be scrapped, to be replaced by a single (and simple ) sales tax, so as to minimise the tracking etc. etc. of activities that are necessary for income tax extraction.

P.S. In no way does taxing churches constrict the freedom of religion, any more than taxing newspaper companies restrains the freedom of speech.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
Your persistent refusal to address the fundamental difference between a for profit enterprise and a religious institute is puzzling, as is your random foray into the private tax scheme.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
[sarcasm]

Jewish synagoges pay 70% tax (Cause everyone knows that they got the money)
Roman Catholics - 50%  (They can afford it, I mean have you seen the Vatican)
Southern Baptists - 25% for those predominatly white, 10% if mostly black.
Evangelicals - 45% (They got almost as much money as the Jooz, just watch 'em on TV.)
Other Christian Churches - 30%
Muslims - 5% (Don't want 'em mad at us.)
Hindus, Buddists, and other Eastern/Asian religions -30%
For all - Every thousand members add an additional 1-3%.

Adjust rates as to who's in power/how the wind blows......

[/sarcasm]

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Your persistent refusal to address the fundamental difference between a for profit enterprise and a religious institute is puzzling, as is your random foray into the private tax scheme.

Because my whole argument is that the government should ignore the difference. It's not any of the government business to determine "why" I am doing things, whether it is for profit or for another reason.

Scout 26: Such a thing would of course be a violation of religious liberty, d'oh. However, I fail to see how all religious institutions paying an EQUAL tax rate would be a violation of freedom of religion.