Author Topic: Feds, Cops Attempt to Shut Down Legal Gun Sales in Austin, Texas  (Read 8010 times)

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
http://www.infowars.com/feds-cops-attempt-to-shut-down-legal-gun-sales-in-austin-texas/

Feds, Cops Attempt to Shut Down Legal Gun Sales in Austin, Texas Kurt Nimmo

Infowars.com
January 18, 2010

The police in Austin, at the behest of the federal Bureau of Alcohol and Firearms, has attempted to shut down legal gun sales. The Texas Gun Shows website has the following posted: “Vendor notice – Austin show only: At the direction of the Austin Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms, ONLY LICENSED FFL DEALERS will be allowed to set up and sell firearms at the N. Austin show location.”
featured stories Feds, Cops Attempt to Shut Down Legal Gun Sales in Austin, Texas    

featured stories Feds, Cops Attempt to Shut Down Legal Gun Sales in Austin, Texas

The “notice” posted at Texas Gun Shows.

FFL is short for “Federal Firearms License.” It is a federal license that enables an individual or a company to engage in a business pertaining to the manufacture of firearms and ammunition or the interstate and intrastate sale of firearms. It does not control gun sales between individuals on the local level.

Texas residents may purchase rifles, shotguns, handguns ammunition, reloading components, or firearms accessories. No permit or registration is required under state law. It is unlawful to knowingly sell, rent, give or offer to sell, rent or give any firearm to a person under 18 years of age, without the written consent of his parent or guardian, but entirely legal for adults to sell firearms.

The BATF and Austin cops are attempting to discourage gun sales with this color of law trick. It is not backed up by any law on the books. It is intimidation.

In recent years the feds have attempted to portray entirely legal gunshows as a nexus for criminal activity. Gun Show Undercover, a project of the City of New York and its mayor the anti-Second Amendment extremist Michael Bloomberg, has traveled around the country and filmed what it declares to be illegal gun sales. The BATF claims that 30 percent of guns involved in federal illegal gun trafficking investigations are connected to gun shows.

The BATF claims Mexican drug cartels exploit the so-called gun-show loophole. “Guns are purchased illegally, sold at a profit to drug dealers and used to kill innocent people and police officers, all while local law enforcement authorities lack the federal support they need to do their job,” Bloomberg wrote in April, 2009. “The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has estimated that 90 percent to 95 percent of the guns recovered at Mexican crime scenes have been purchased in the United States, because Mexico’s laws make it much more difficult for criminals to buy guns.”  Bloomberg has pushed for closing down gun shows. “More than 350 mayors from both political parties have joined together to urge Congress to repeal these restrictions – and to close the gun-show loophole, a step both Sen. John McCain and President Obama have supported,” he wrote.

In response to this propaganda, Fox News reported that 83 percent of the guns found at crime scenes in Mexico could not be traced to the U.S. Most of the illegal guns sold in Mexico originate from South Korea, China, and Russia. Interpol says Russian Mafia groups such as Poldolskaya and Moscow-based Solntsevskaya are actively trafficking drugs and arms in Mexico.

For now, gun sales between adults are legal in Texas. Residents of Austin should not be intimidated by this bogus color of law attempt to chill the Second Amendment.

On his Sunday show, Alex responded to the Austin cops and feds trying to shut down legal sales between individuals at gun shows.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Re: Feds, Cops Attempt to Shut Down Legal Gun Sales in Austin, Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »
Didn't mean to drive by post.

I  bet this was a dry run for Las Vegas.  I think that it is a much larger show and the Vegas police are very anti-gun and would be all too willing to comply.

Gemoriah.com

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 04:59:07 PM »
I don't have anything I particularly want to sell... but I'd walk around with SOMETHING for sale with a big tall sign advertising PRIVATE PARTY TRANSACTION and the model of "something" from my safe in tiny almost illegible letters under it, if they try that tactic in AZ.

(I'd probably ask more than it was worth to replace, though, just because I don't really want to sell anything. =D)

[/stir the big chunks from the bottom]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 05:23:10 PM »
take infowars with a large grain of salt and skepticism
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 06:21:05 PM »

Google "Gun Show Austin", click the third link down and it will take you to the orginizer's site.
http://texasgunshows.net/default.aspx

This will be confirmed in large red print on the front page.

I wonder what the orginizer's reason for this is?  Anyone in Austin that can ask?  It's obviously not actually at the direction of APD, as they don't have that power.  I'd bet it was a strong request and the show caved.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 08:00:02 PM »
Perhaps the gunshow organizer requested it be an FFL-only venue?

Prequel to Las Vegas?

Yeah, right.  ;/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 09:47:03 PM »
Hey, it's Austin, Moscow on the Colorado.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 10:07:01 PM »
Perhaps the gunshow organizer requested it be an FFL-only venue?

Prequel to Las Vegas?

Yeah, right.  ;/

How do you mean?  Las Vegas police tried to get a law passed that all firearms are registered with them in 24 or 48 hours of coming into the city.  If not for them, this state would have a much better gun friendly rating.

Gemoriah.com

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 02:06:48 AM »

Normally, you're right, but the TSRA is all over this, so he's right this time.

hey, it happens.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 08:31:04 AM »
Not state action, but rent seeking FFLs.

I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 08:44:07 AM »
Not state action, but rent seeking FFLs.

I bet you're right. To me it seems about as likely to be truthful as a notice at a senior citizen catering Texas country club claiming the T.A.B.C (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission) requested they only serve alcohol to whites over the age of fifty. One thing in particular that sparked my suspicion is that B.A.T.F has been B.A.T.F.E for several years now.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 10:03:36 AM »
There's a lot of discussion about this on the TX gun forums as well as a . . . spirited (=NSFW) thread over at arfcom which deals with the Austin Police Department's chief (a California import) in rather unkind terms.

First a little (highly abridged) history, from someone who is NOT an insider: There used to be a regular gun show at the old Coliseum at the state fairgrounds. Austin decided gun shows were bad and tried to shut it down - the city owned the venue -  but a court stepped in and told them the promoter had a valid lease for a period of time, and Austin had to permit the show to continue until the lease expired, at which point the show ended . . . probably about a decade ago, give or take a few years.

Soon after, a roving gun show - the SAXET show - moved into town, and had been holding a large monthly Austin show at various venues. They'd been in the current location for a couple of years, but then had some sort of falling out with the building owner and cancelled their Austin shows entirely. (They advertise their San Antonio show in the local rag.)

Another gun show promoter had begun renting space in a vacated Target or Sam's Club early last year for his competing show, and has now moved into the former SAXET venue. Reports are that this show is only a small fraction of the size of the SAXET show, but still has plenty of non-gun vendors selling everything from candy to ShamWow.

New restrictions have indeed been posted, but it's also not generally known whether or not the APD/BATF pressured the promoter directly, or if they're threatening the landlord (apparently the HEB grocery chain owns the building) who in turn is applying pressure to the promoter as part of the rental agreement.

It's unclear on what legal basis they think they can enforce the "no private sales" parts of the posted restrictions, since private sales are not prohibited under Federal and TX law. (there's a rumor - so far, unsubstantiated - that two people conducting a private sale in the parking lot were arrested.)

TSRA is involved in this apparent "legislation by unelected bureaucrat" activity, but postings from their rep on at least one TX gun board say that they aren't going public yet with whatever is going on behind the scenes.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:09:09 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HankB

• friend
UPDATE
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 11:37:02 AM »
The story has hit the local news stations . . . APD appears to be backpedaling, according to a story in the local rag:

Several police recommendations about the operation of the show were intended to curtail crime there and should not have been viewed as requirements, authorities said Tuesday.

One of the local stations said that police arrested a Mexican national at the show on gun charges.

Link to local newspaper  & local TV:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/gun-show-owner-police-at-odds-over-recommendations-186641.html

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Gun-show-owner-alleges-rights-violation-82115242.html

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 02:48:18 PM »
(there's a rumor - so far, unsubstantiated - that two people conducting a private sale in the parking lot were arrested.)

If true, about the only legal basis for such an arrest would be trespassing.  If the rules for being on the property are "no private sales" and they attempt to engage in same, and refuse to vacate said property then they could be arrested on a trespassing charge.  But that's about it.
Formerly sumpnz

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Re: UPDATE
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 03:09:07 PM »
The story has hit the local news stations . . . APD appears to be backpedaling, according to a story in the local rag:

One of the local stations said that police arrested a Mexican national at the show on gun charges.

Good.  That's how these things should work, actually arresting people for committing actual crimes.  Imagine that?
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 03:37:35 PM »
If true, about the only legal basis for such an arrest would be trespassing.

There would be many reasons for such an arrest, including prohibited person in possession under federal or state law.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 03:51:46 PM »
There would be many reasons for such an arrest, including prohibited person in possession under federal or state law.
The implication from HankB's post was that the arrest was just due to the private sale being dis-allowed at the show.  If they had reason to believe otherwise that was not stated.  Hence my caveat of "If true".
Formerly sumpnz

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 08:56:26 PM »
How do you mean?  Las Vegas police tried to get a law passed that all firearms are registered with them in 24 or 48 hours of coming into the city.  If not for them, this state would have a much better gun friendly rating.

Having frequented the wonderful Nevada gun shows in both Reno and Las Vegas, something tells me that mandating FFL-only tables at those venues would go over like a lead balloon.  Just sayin'.  

As an aside, if one has the spare time, the Big Reno Show is really something to behold!   :O
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 09:31:26 PM »
As an aside, if one has the spare time, the Big Reno Show is really something to behold!

That's on my agenda for a combo Eastern Sierra fishing / Reno gun show trip in APR or AUG. Plan on taking my truck so that, given the new CA ammo laws for 2011, I can haul back some ammo and reloading components. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 06:21:48 PM »
IMO, if they really wanted to try to curtail illegal gun sales they would set up shop and offer free background checks to prospective sellers (at the consent of the checked obviously).  And if they really really wanted to stop the crime part of things, they would do those checks without forms or personal data being recorded. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 05:19:09 PM »
Got this via email from

http://www.io.com/~velte/pt.htm

Dear Peaceable Texan:

As many of you know, I am an attorney of two decades experience practicing law in Austin.  I have been investigating the events surrounding the gunshow of last weekend where APD and ATF used intimidation tactics to pressure the landlord of the property to cancel future shows at the Crocket Center.  The following is what I have learned from my review of the law and speaking to the promoter and an individual that had his private collection confiscated Saturday. 

On Tuesday APD attempted to deflect public attention by implying that multiple arrests at the location gave the city grounds to prosecute the landlords for nuisance.  I am attaching a copy of the nuisance statutes to this email and as anyone who can read can see--they clearly do not apply here.  But what is really rediculous about such a claim is that if arrests alone constitute grounds for nuisance, then every mall and HEB in the state would be nuisances since arrests for shoplifting occur at these locations constantly. 

The Crocket Center is owned by Walmart and leased to HEB, who in turn subleases to another entity which in turn leases it one weekend a month to the gunshow promoter. 

The individual who was hassled and had his half dozen firearms seized Saturday was a private citizen there to sell his collection.  According to him, APD and/or ATF had a man approach him and offer to buy a gun; the man displayed a Texas Driver's License to prove he was over 21.  The sale was made and later APD officers roughly grabbed the shirt of the seller and marched him outside and accused him of selling to an illegal alien.  This apparently is the latest tactic to entrap the unwary citizen in the ATF's snare.  As if anyone could possibly know the immigration or citizenship status of anyone else.  Yet ATF seized all his firearms and told him the matter was "under investigation."  This, ladies and gentlemen, is the 'possible illegal gun sale' referred to as the reason for HEB to pull the plug on future shows in the Statesman article (attached). 

The tyranny of these laws and the APD/ATF "stings" are self evident.  The government allows literally millions of foreigners to enter our country and then uses them to set citizens up for prison time.  We should all be asking:  who was this illegal alien, and where is he now?  Why is he free with a driver's license in our state and why is he not being deported?  I would venture a guess that since Austin is a "sanctuary city" the police did not detain this man or turn him over to immigration authorities; indeed, they probably rewarded him in some fashion to get his cooperation.  THIS IS INTOLERABLE.  We citizens are being used and abused at every turn.  Our government is using foreigners to set us up, steal our property, lock us up, and end the venerable cultural events we know as "gunshows."  I want to suggest that perhaps the better tactic to prevent sales to aliens is to REMOVE THEM FROM THE COUNTRY.

In my opinion the appropriate place to apply public pressure is with HEB, since they have the right to continue to allow gunshows at this location.  They have no liability under the nuisance law, and they have teams of lawyers who can figure that out.  I am sure they can read.  A general boycott of HEB is called for if they assist the government in shutting down a gunshow.   

The TSRA has refused to get involved.  NRA is also, as usual, silent.  Once they see the grassroots taking action though, I expect NRA and/or TSRA will step in to take credit for leading them. 

Word has it--I have not confirmed this--that today at 3 p.m. at Red's Indoor Range on Hwy 290 the NRA is presenting Gov. Perry with an award of some kind and endorsement in his bid for re-election.  Some are planning to be there to politely bring this matter to his attention--and the NRA's--because if they are going to pretend to be pro-gun rights they need to actually DO SOMETHING to defend them. 

Sincerely,

Paul Velte

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 11:11:33 PM »
The NRA is usually silent on these sorts of things?

???

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 12:05:48 AM »
Having frequented the wonderful Nevada gun shows in both Reno and Las Vegas, something tells me that mandating FFL-only tables at those venues would go over like a lead balloon.  Just sayin'.  

As an aside, if one has the spare time, the Big Reno Show is really something to behold!   :O

Really, I live in Reno and have never been to one.  I just can't see paying the entrance fee to just look around.  I might have to take a look next time.

There is a report of some firearm company execs getting arrested for bribes of some sort at the LV show.  I need to track this down further.

Gemoriah.com

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 03:12:58 AM »
the big Reno show is a joy to behold, or at least it used to be.
We should have a armedpolite coffee someplace
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 11:00:49 PM »
Ah, yes, attorneys that cannot spell "ridiculous". ;/

The NRA silent?  Ummm, probably because all of this is make believe?

This whole drama is nothing but a Texas-sized cowpie hoax over dealers seeking economic rents.