Author Topic: .McCain Feeling Primary Heat From His Right Flank  (Read 6543 times)

Desertdog

• friends
.McCain Feeling Primary Heat From His Right Flank
« on: February 04, 2010, 11:09:26 AM »
When an entrenched politician, such as McCain, can feel the heat from the voters, then the less entreched politicians should really be fearful.  Go TEA Party.

.McCain Feeling Primary Heat From His Right Flank

By MICHAEL M. PHILLIPS
Arizona Sen. John McCain, the Republicans' standard-bearer in 2008, is facing a surprisingly strong primary challenge from the right, evidence that even party leaders aren't safe from the swell of conservative activism heading into the 2010 midterm elections.

Mr. McCain hasn't faced a serious challenge since joining the U.S. Senate in 1987. But seven months ahead of the primary, he is using tough-guy tactics and calling in conservative chits to fend off J.D. Hayworth, an ex-congressman and radio host. Mr. Hayworth, who lost his House seat in 2006 and who is best known in Arizona for his opposition to illegal immigration, has seized the Tea Party mantel of low taxes and small government.

With the senator's approval, McCain allies filed complaints with the Federal Election Commission and the Federal Communications Commission essentially alleging that Mr. Hayworth's three-hour radio show—during which he regularly attacked Mr. McCain—was a form of campaign advertising. In January, Mr. Hayworth and the station agreed to drop his program. Smokey Rivers, Phoenix director of programming and operations for KFYI's owner, San Antonio-based Clear Channel Communications Inc., said Mr. McCain wasn't a factor.

Jason Rose, a Hayworth aide, described the move as a "political mugging." Mr. McCain isn't shy about admitting his role in knocking Mr. Hayworth off the air. "I certainly didn't discourage it," he said in an interview. "I'm not saying he couldn't say anything he wanted to, but it's clear that was a political campaign he was running on the radio station."

Continued at: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704343104575033181531964738.html

MechAg94

• friend
Re: .McCain Feeling Primary Heat From His Right Flank
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 11:12:37 AM »
Good.  The way he flubbed the election, he should be put out to pasture.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:27:17 AM »
McCain didn't flub the election.  He ran as himself.

The Stupid Party flubbed the election by failing to run an actual conservative.

Now McCain is trying to hide himself behind a facade of false conservatism over the last 6 months.

Good luck, buddy.  You're going down.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 11:31:06 AM »
. . . he is using tough-guy tactics and calling in conservative chits
Wait a minute - McCain has conservative chits?

From who?

How'd he get them? (I mean, other than by having Sara Palin as running mate.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 01:29:09 PM »
Wait a minute - McCain has conservative chits?
From who?

McCain was endorsed as the Republicrat candidate by the editors of the New York Times. 'Nough said?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 09:51:28 PM »
Take it to the bank; Lindsey Graham will make appearances for McCain.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:06:26 PM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 09:54:06 PM »
McCain is a principled, authentic conservative and fighter pilot. He'd be in Hayworth's OODA loop before you can say Jack Robinson.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 10:05:48 PM »
McCain is a principled, authentic conservative and fighter pilot.
You ain't from around here, air'ya!  McCain (like all politicans) is not what his public image portrays.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 10:18:14 PM »
You ain't from around here, air'ya!  McCain (like all politicans) is not what his public image portrays.

He is better than Durbin-D, Obama-D, Biggert-R and the future Senator Mark Kirk-R.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 10:48:02 PM »
McCain co-authored the greatest assault on the First Amendment ever perpetrated by the government.

I dislike him so much as a senator that I voted for Hillary in the 2008 primary. (In Wisconsin a voter can choose Republican candidates or Democrat candidates in the primary, but no crossover voting is allowed).

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 10:53:30 PM »
McCain co-authored the greatest assault on the First Amendment ever perpetrated by the government.

I dislike him so much as a senator that I voted for Hillary in the 2008 primary. (In Wisconsin a voter can choose Republican candidates or Democrat candidates in the primary, but no crossover voting is allowed).

His historical rating from the American Conservative Union is better than all the Illinois politicians I named.

He just has problems staying on the reservation time to time on really big issues. He isn't a Maverick, he is goofy.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 10:58:44 PM »
Take it to the bank; Lindsey Graham will make appearances for McCain.

No *expletive deleted*it. Lindsey Graham brownnosed McCain like nothing else...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Clem

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 07:25:18 AM »
McCain is a moron. The reason he was flying in the Navy was his father’s influence. The reason he got shot down was his own stupidity. After losing to Bush in 2000, he spent the next 8 yrs. doing everything he could to hurt Bush and the Republicans. He then expected the Conservative base to rally around him for the general election. Many Conservatives sat home instead. They came out this year for authentic Conservative candidates in VA, NJ and MA, but I wouldn’t count on them coming out for McCain this year.

McCain wasn’t a fighter pilot. The A-4 he flew was a Navy Attack plane. He was an Attack pilot, and a bad one. Fighter pilots flew F-8s and F-4s during VN.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 09:32:16 AM »
He is better than Durbin-D, Obama-D, Biggert-R and the future Senator Mark Kirk-R.
In the same way that the H1N1 virus is better than ebola, smallpox, pneumonic plague, and HIV.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 09:40:51 AM »
In the same way that the H1N1 virus is better than ebola, smallpox, pneumonic plague, and HIV.

You win one (1) political innernetz chatboard. ;)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 11:46:10 AM »
RINOs of the world unite!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100223/ap_on_el_se/us_romney_mccain

Romney has come out and backs McCain for re-election, over Hayworth.

Romney, Brown, McCain:  Rudy McRomney reincarnated.  Mitt McBrown?

http://marquettehomelandsecurity.blogspot.com/2007/03/rudy-mcromney.html

--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 12:38:51 PM »
LOL... Rush evidently agrees with me.  Drew the immediate parallel from Brown/McCain/Romney just now. =D
--Lysander Spooner

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 10:05:42 PM »
Don't forget though - real conservatives have a bad habit of supporting 'crazy' ideas like smaller government and thus render themselves unelectable.

Yay for McCain!
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 11:23:57 PM »
Rumor has it that a lot of his flying was done underwater...

My gripe with him, though, is he seems to gravitate, for some unaccountable reason, to collaborating with people way left of center.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 08:06:24 AM »
My gripe with him, though, is he seems to gravitate, for some unaccountable reason, to collaborating with people way left of center.
I think it is a learned response developed while captive of North Vietnam.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 08:25:27 AM »

I would say that this is entirely inappropriate. Whatever his views, John McCain served his country honorably, and there are several witnesses who were imprisoned with him that testify he was tortured repeatedly by the Vietnamese for refusing to turn over information and cooperate with them. With the exception of a single "confession" he signed initially as a response to the torture, John Sidney McCain behaved honorably in prison and at one point refused an offer of "clemency" by the  Communists because it was against the Air Force code for an officer to be released before men who were captured earlier were released.

He has been rendered partially disabled by the years of incredible torture, but has refused to betray his country. I disagree with his political views in almost every way, and I don't think he is a nice person. But I respect his service and the injuries he sustained on behalf of America and the Vietnamese people whom America was attempting to protect from Communist aggression.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 08:36:15 AM »

That was inappropriate.  Any more of that and I'm going to get all Mike Irwin up in here.  Ya'll should know better. :mad:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 10:31:48 AM »

That was inappropriate.  Any more of that and I'm going to get all Mike Irwin up in here.  Ya'll should know better. :mad:

Waitone's statement is a quite common sentiment that you hear almost daily on the Phoenix talk radio call-in lines.

"Yay, he served the country.  Doesn't mean he's a good Senator or Presidential candidate.  Frankly, he accomodates the enemy too much."

You hear it every day.

If it makes it onto the FCC regulated air waves, I hardly think it's inappropriate for a political chat forum.
--Lysander Spooner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 11:05:19 AM »
I would submit that based on just three posts since the POW subject came up, that it will lead to impolite posts, which will probably end in a locked thread.  I really recommend keeping the discussion to McCain's political career and the topic's subject.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 11:35:19 AM »
Let me say, for the record, I respect McCain's service.  I have no doubt he is a brave man and loyal to America.  But he has been all too often a destructive force politically, at least from my point of view.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.