Author Topic: If you don't like tea, you can have coffee  (Read 5508 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
If you don't like tea, you can have coffee
« on: March 14, 2010, 04:32:47 PM »
Coffee Party brews up rival for Tea Party

A grassroots US political grouping that has emerged in opposition to the conservative Tea Party movement has been holding its first national day of meetings.

Read here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8566574.stm

OK, who's up for a Cocoa Party? (marshmallows not included)

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: If you don't like tea, you can have coffee
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 06:24:05 PM »
"The two-party structure is just not working. There are so many of us who feel these labels are outdated, that we're much more complex and interconnected. And people are coming to us exhilarated that there's finally a place for them to have a voice," she says.

Yawn.  Everybody says this, but nothing ever comes of it. 

I'm sure Pelosi, et al, will be sure to warn us that they are merely astroturf.   ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 07:48:56 PM »
So it is a bunch of D's getting together?   ???
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 07:58:36 PM »
Actually, the coffee party was founded by an Obama campaign worker. Make what you will of that.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/coffee-party-founder-is-obama-campaign-operative.html

Hi.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 07:59:18 PM »
So it is a bunch of D's getting together?   ???

Getting together and getting favorable press coverage.

We just need to wait until the time is right for the rum party. Have some rum, dress up like pirates, sail up the potomac and storm the city.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 12:29:52 AM »
"In a sharp contrast to the Tea Party movement, members are asked to take the following civility pledge:

As a member or supporter of the Coffee Party, I pledge to conduct myself in a way that is civil, honest, and respectful toward people with whom I disagree. I value people from different cultures, I value people with different ideas, and I value and cherish the democratic process."

I don't think they understand. We ARE being civil. With a few notable exceptions, we left our rifles in our closets when we came out to protest.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 12:33:27 AM »
"In a sharp contrast to the Tea Party movement, members are asked to take the following civility pledge:

As a member or supporter of the Coffee Party, I pledge to conduct myself in a way that is civil, honest, and respectful toward people with whom I disagree. I value people from different cultures, I value people with different ideas, and I value and cherish the democratic process."

I don't think they understand. We ARE being civil. With a few notable exceptions, we left our rifles in our closets when we came out to protest.

Heh.   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 12:54:20 AM »

Heh.   

What's really funny is if you take a look at any of their webpages that have comment sections.  It looks like Democratic Underground.  And it's not just random commentators; it's often the founders of the "Coffee Party" as well. So much for being civil...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 01:14:46 AM »
The Left has never been civil.  Mostly they are what they accuse others of.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

taurusowner

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 02:20:09 AM »
What's really funny is if you take a look at any of their webpages that have comment sections.  It looks like Democratic Underground.  And it's not just random commentators; it's often the founders of the "Coffee Party" as well. So much for being civil...

One should go through all of the discussions of their group, quote every disparaging and disrespectful comment, and just write "and respectful toward people with whom I disagree." underneath the quoted text.  Don't add your own $.02, comments, or insults of your own.  Don't even respond to questions or attacks at you.  Just quote their disrespectful comments, and write the part of their creed underneath it for every one.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 03:19:21 AM »
I perused their forum and I already see not just cracks, but gaping holes in their foundation. Several posts were asking what specifically is the ideology of this group or specifically how they intend to effect some of the changes they spout in their rhetoric only to go unanswered. I'd say even money that this group implodes on itself. Here's one gem of a post from their forum:

"Im confused -Thought this was a new diverse grassroots group open to ideas and change???"

When I first heard about this group my mind immediately went back to the doctrine of "emotional response v. lucid decision making." Some of the more base concepts that come to mind: Demeaning the Tea Party by creating a fad of beverage named political groups and appealing to a vague sense of Americana via the cultural consuming of the two. I.e. the evil Imperial British drink tea, and the good Democratic Americans drink coffee, therefore Coffee > Tea.

These were just a couple of notions flitting through my mind however so take them with a grain of salt. I'm curious what possible impressions or perhaps emotional responses other people had regarding the choice in naming however.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 08:52:07 AM »
I perused their forum and I already see not just cracks, but gaping holes in their foundation. Several posts were asking what specifically is the ideology of this group or specifically how they intend to effect some of the changes they spout in their rhetoric only to go unanswered. I'd say even money that this group implodes on itself. Here's one gem of a post from their forum:

"Im confused -Thought this was a new diverse grassroots group open to ideas and change???"

When I first heard about this group my mind immediately went back to the doctrine of "emotional response v. lucid decision making." Some of the more base concepts that come to mind: Demeaning the Tea Party by creating a fad of beverage named political groups and appealing to a vague sense of Americana via the cultural consuming of the two. I.e. the evil Imperial British drink tea, and the good Democratic Americans drink coffee, therefore Coffee > Tea.

Emotional response is not always a bad thing. For instance the "Tea Party" name resonated very well with conservatives. Don't forget that the genesis of the Tea Parties was not HEALTHCARE as the media would have you believe but they actually started last April on tax day as a reaction to the BAILOUTS...long before the health care debate started up steam. Granted things heated up during the summer.

And the idea of us Republicans putting on our war paint and going out and making as much racket as possible instead of meekly standing by like we have since 1994, and putting a historical spin on it. Emotional response? Absolutely. No problem there.

The Liberal emotional response, rather than indicating a change in attitude (which the Tea Parties were IMHO) was simply a "we can do it better than them"  reaction. And it will fail miserably, since the mental image of a bunch of fake intellectuals sitting in coffee clatches isn't nearly as much fun as a bunch of gun-owning, tax-hating, had-enough conservatives stirring up outrage in the public square.

And I am perfectly OK with that.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 09:39:15 AM »

We just need to wait until the time is right for the rum party. Have some rum, dress up like pirates, sail up the potomac and storm the city.

I am SO in for that one!!!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 05:40:59 PM »

Read here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8566574.stm

OK, who's up for a Cocoa Party? (marshmallows not included)

All we need is the Smore Schnapps party.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 07:14:08 PM »
Emotional response is not always a bad thing. For instance the "Tea Party" name resonated very well with conservatives. Don't forget that the genesis of the Tea Parties was not HEALTHCARE as the media would have you believe but they actually started last April on tax day as a reaction to the BAILOUTS...long before the health care debate started up steam. Granted things heated up during the summer.

And the idea of us Republicans putting on our war paint and going out and making as much racket as possible instead of meekly standing by like we have since 1994, and putting a historical spin on it. Emotional response? Absolutely. No problem there.

The Liberal emotional response, rather than indicating a change in attitude (which the Tea Parties were IMHO) was simply a "we can do it better than them"  reaction. And it will fail miserably, since the mental image of a bunch of fake intellectuals sitting in coffee clatches isn't nearly as much fun as a bunch of gun-owning, tax-hating, had-enough conservatives stirring up outrage in the public square.

Excellent response. Do you think perhaps there should be a distinction between attempting to incite an emotional response with a factual basis as the core and inciting such a response in order to obscure the lack of such a basis?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 07:33:41 PM »

Uisge beatha partaidh  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 08:36:03 PM »

The main problem I see with the name is that "drinking" tea has nothing at all to do with the "tea party" name origin.  The term "coffee party" has absolutely no significance to American culture or history.  I wonder how many of them could actually tell you what the Boston Tea Party was.  I bet some would say it was a protest held last year. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

PTK

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 08:47:28 PM »

Uisge beatha partaidh  =D

Water of life party seconded.  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 09:40:04 PM »
The main problem I see with the name is that "drinking" tea has nothing at all to do with the "tea party" name origin.  The term "coffee party" has absolutely no significance to American culture or history.  I wonder how many of them could actually tell you what the Boston Tea Party was.  I bet some would say it was a protest held last year. 

MechAg94, you are so right it isn't even funny.    :facepalm:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 09:56:03 PM »
I think if the 2012 election goes poorly we can move on to cocktail hour. Free engraved zippo when you join the party, BYOB and rag.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 10:25:40 PM »
Don't forget that the genesis of the Tea Parties was not HEALTHCARE as the media would have you believe but they actually started last April on tax day as a reaction to the BAILOUTS..

No, they started before that, as a response to bail-outs and other gov spending.  Sometime in February, I think. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 10:53:01 PM »

will the ICE101 and Firewater party do? ??? [popcorn] hurry up and finish shooting the ice is melting. :facepalm:

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 10:55:32 PM »
How about the Beer Party? Bet it garners most of the college kid votes who think they are voting for a kegger.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 02:16:46 AM »
And it will fail miserably, since the mental image of a bunch of fake intellectuals sitting in coffee clatches isn't nearly as much fun as a bunch of gun-owning, tax-hating, had-enough conservatives stirring up outrage in the public square.

You said it! Except it's not a bunch, but a few...

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 03:04:02 AM »
I like tea better than coffee. Mainly because it goes better with ice.