Author Topic: Being Practical: Say for a moment (shudder) it is Romney come 2012...  (Read 4615 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.

As much as you or I don't like the idea, say the GOP nominee is Romney.

How would you design a campaign, both publicly and behind the scenes to pressure, nudge, guide, drag, politically blackmail, grind/wear him down etc. so that he actually goes harder to the right than the MSM and squishy American middle thinks he ever would? And as such, he then would posses the stones to actually start making the drastic cuts, work hard with a GOP flipped Congress, and do the drastic stuff like ending baseline budgeting that's needed to save America from fiscal ruin?

My one thought is that such a plan would have to have as it's cornerstone, "A death of a thousand cuts" way of gutting Obamacare piece by piece, packaged as "reforms", so that he can save face on his own failed Massachusettscare, since not admitting it was a failure and talking out both sides of his mouth about it seems to be a big sticking point with him.

Obviously the Lefties and MSM will know what's up, and whine, but by spreading out the end of Obamacare a bit would deny them the one cathartic rally point that would let them focus all their complaints.

Thoughts?
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Being Practical: Say for a moment (shudder) it is Romney come 2012...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 03:47:06 PM »
Unless we get a true conservative president, the White House isn't where out battle will be won.  We need to upend the GOP from the House, and get a conservative majority in the Senate.
Romney is a puppet and he'd go along with a conservative house and senate. 
Of course, when the GOP makes Boehner the speaker....well.... just moar fail....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 04:37:26 PM »
Unless we get a true conservative president, the White House isn't where out battle will be won.  We need to upend the GOP from the House, and get a conservative majority in the Senate.
Of course, when the GOP makes Boehner the speaker....well.... just moar fail....

Agreed.  Which ever of the dwarfs is picked, we need to check them with a conservative House and Senate.  I do not think this country will last 4 more years of obama.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 04:41:15 PM »

This....plus vote for a 3rd-party candidate who's more conservative....the GOP keeps up with this trending data....and it'll help the conservatives in the GOP push back....if only to get those votes back.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 04:52:50 PM »

This is along the lines of what I was thinking.

If it is to be Romney, I want him to be on enough of an ideological leash to rubber-stamp the more innovative reforms and aggressive cuts a presumptive GOP controlled House and Senate would put forth. And put some decent Scalia/Thomas style appointments on the SCOTUS and lower .fed court benches in front of the Senate.

Foreign policy?

At this point, I'm not so sure I care what the POTUS does beyond a nominal press for U.S. interests, as long as it does not involve lots of money, occupying another nation (see the money part just earlier in this sentence) and does not get us nuked.

I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »
Reagan's legacy is constantly smeared by leftists who say that he raised taxes, but who fail to mention that he was forced to compromise with congress, and also was the victim of some bait and switch tactics.

That could work with Romney, though. If congress pushes hard enough to the right, Romney would have no choice but to go there.

This, of course, is the same congress that couldn't cut a hundred billion from a budget.  ;/

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 08:28:10 PM »
Romney being elected would damage conservatism/libertarianism more in the long term than 4 years of Obama.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 02:42:05 PM »
Romney is just one part of the problem.  Republicans in congress appear to be just as reluctant to embrace meaningful action as does Romney.  Two examples:

First, some republicans circulated a letter in the house calling on the super committee to not increase taxes as part of a deficit reduction package.  While 72 house republicans did sign the letter, 170 did not.  House leaders Boehner and Cantor did not sign.  http://cnsnews.com/news/article/boehner-cantor-failed-sign-letter-supercommittee-opposing-tax-increases

Second, Steve King, republican out of Iowa, says house leadership (that would be Boehner and Cantor) would never defund Obamacare for fear of getting blamed for shutting down the government.  According to King the leadership failed to use all the leverage it had available.  http://cnsnews.com/news/article/rep-king-house-wont-defund-obamacare-because-leaders-afraid-gop-will-be-blamed-shutdown 

Republicans seem to go squishy anytime democrats run the "Sticks and Stones" offense.  It seems to me there is a republican party today because of the life that was breathed into it in the last election.  Opposition to Obamacare was the rally point for the TEA types yet once back in power establishment republicans revert to historical norms.  I don't look for meaningful change in the country's trajectory short of a overwhelming electoral hissy-fit by TEA types.  Republican leadership in congress will have to change at a minimum before we make any headway in repairing the damage caused by Obama and his congressional allies.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 08:33:02 PM »
With Romney there's a chance of getting a good SCOTUS appointment. No guarantee, but a chance.

With Obama - nope. Not going to happen.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 09:50:44 PM »
What's going on right now is the final attempt to use the political process to turn the cultural tide of the last half-century (or more).  Everyone wants to believe that the next Election matters, can be efficacious.  These things have to play out fully.  We have yet to bottom out and recognize the awful truth of our long-developing cultural predicament: there is not going to be a happy ending.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 09:54:31 PM »
Should Romney be nominated and win, it will embolden the most poisonous wing of the GOP - the infamous RINO/North-Eastern Moderate, call it what you will. In effect it will solidify their hold of the Party for years to come.

The result will be devastating - a political system like that seen in the 1950's and 1960's, where Republicans are wholly beholden to the status-quo, differing only in their desire to give it a somewhat more "conservative" or "traditional" flair. In the long-term it will do more damage than four years of Obama.

Romney being nominated and losing will hurt his faction, and in the process, help America.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Why can't we just blow everything up and start over from scratch.  First rule is that no politicians can run for any office and two term limits on all federal offices.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 11:50:18 PM »
Should Romney be nominated and win, it will embolden the most poisonous wing of the GOP - the infamous RINO/North-Eastern Moderate, call it what you will. In effect it will solidify their hold of the Party for years to come.

The result will be devastating - a political system like that seen in the 1950's and 1960's, where Republicans are wholly beholden to the status-quo, differing only in their desire to give it a somewhat more "conservative" or "traditional" flair. In the long-term it will do more damage than four years of Obama.

Romney being nominated and losing will hurt his faction, and in the process, help America.

Four more years of Obama will destroy America.  PERIOD.   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 12:20:31 AM »
I'm sorry, I'm not quite persuaded. Perhaps if you used a larger font?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 12:26:39 AM »

:laugh:  =D
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 12:56:53 AM »
Who said I was trying to persuade you? ? ? ? ? ? ?  ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 01:12:46 AM »
Could you type a little larger please? I can't quite make out what you're saying.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

j3rd

• Storm Coming
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 07:33:38 AM »
What's going on right now is the final attempt to use the political process to turn the cultural tide of the last half-century (or more).  Everyone wants to believe that the next Election matters, can be efficacious.  These things have to play out fully.  We have yet to bottom out and recognize the awful truth of our long-developing cultural predicament: there is not going to be a happy ending.

I agree. The problem isn't Obama- when he's gone the people that elected him will still be here. The president is merely a symptom.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 11:08:47 PM »
Could you type a little larger please? I can't quite make out what you're saying.

Is this sarcasm or do you have cataracts? [tinfoil]

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 12:35:12 AM »
Is this sarcasm or do you have cataracts? [tinfoil]

Probably sarcasm....fistful doesn't seem the Asian luxury car type....

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 05:38:10 PM »
The infamous (and execrable) David Frum has his own input on the process.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/31/opinion/frum-republican-tea-party-scenarios/index.html

Romney losing may yet benefit the Republic in the long term.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 08:05:23 PM »
Romney won't be any different from Obama, in the same way Obama wasn't any different from George Bush.

The only realistic prospect for change is Ron Paul.  I think his Randian economics are insane, but at least he'll go after the corporate welfare with as much gusto as Clinton-Bush-Obama have gone after assistance for people in need.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 08:06:57 PM »
Romney won't be any different from Obama, in the same way Obama wasn't any different from George Bush.

The only realistic prospect for change is Ron Paul.  I think his Randian economics are insane, but at least he'll go after the corporate welfare with as much gusto as Clinton-Bush-Obama have gone after assistance for people in need.

You're not giving me much reason for optimism about Ron Paul.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 12:26:04 AM »

Ha!Ha!Ha!  Obama has created more "people in need" than the first two presidents you mention combined.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2011, 03:46:02 AM »
I didn't vote for mccain, I was registered in NV but in CA during the election.
No way I'm missing out this time.

I wasn't a huge fan of Bush but his scotus picks helped save the COTUS  & the life of everyone who may have to use a gun to protect themselves.

We can not let B.O near anymore SCOTUS  picks, its urgent to support any R candidate. If B.O gets four more people will die because of his scotus picks will overturn Heller/McDonald.

Its absolutely urgent for us to put aside our differences and keep our gains made in the RKBA movement.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."