Author Topic: Will Obama go to war to get Snowden?  (Read 4591 times)

Levant

• friend
Will Obama go to war to get Snowden?
« on: August 07, 2013, 09:13:25 PM »
I'm stunned that this president actually refused to meet with Putin over Snowden.  They're including complaints about human rights in Russia.  While Obama thinks this adds justification to cancelling the summit in Moscow, this really heightens the tension.  We attacked in Iraq and are arming rebels in Syria over civil rights violations.  By escalating the issue, Obama elevates the threat to Moscow.  Does Obama really think Snowden is worth open hostility to Russia?

No one in the world is afraid of Obama.  Our super-power status is viewed as a joke around the world.  The only people afraid of Obama are us.

All I can say is that the Whitehouse must truly be afraid of what will come next.  Notice that Snowden has released a little at a time, waiting for a bit in between each release.  What is it that they're afraid of?

NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Will Obama go to war to get Snowden?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 10:43:03 PM »
Idiotic move to cancel a summit. He, he set race relations here back 30 years, why not go global? Anyone remember the re-set button?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 11:18:49 PM »
O might have a war of words with Russia, but that's as far as it would go. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
O might have a war of words with Russia, but that's as far as it would go. 

And Putin will trash talk him back
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 11:26:05 PM »
No, Obama will certainly NOT go to war to get Snowden.  Comparison to Iraq is ridiculous.

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 11:56:18 PM »
I thought it was over the new Russian laws banning homosexuality, or saying anything publicly about homosexuality, and the various lawmakers who've been spouting off that any Olympic athletes, coaches, or staff from other countries who are openly gay could be arrested etc...

At least that's what I thought I overheard in the car on my way to Harbor Freight to give some money to the PLA.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 12:31:32 AM »
I think the correct question is, will the Democrats rattle the saber to shift attention away from their 8 zillion scandals, and look tough on foreign policy?

Well, at this point, I think they'd settle for looking competent on foreign policy.

Idiotic move to cancel a summit. He, he set race relations here back 30 years, why not go global? Anyone remember the re-set button?

Exactly. The guy who was going to repair our relations with the world has been so successful, he just had to close 20 embassies.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 03:11:09 AM »
“@iowahawkblog: Coming up on Worldwide Wrasslin': it's Vladimir the Bear-Strangling KGB Bond Supervillain vs Gradschool McMomjeans.”

If you're not on the twitters, Iowahawkblog is worth the price of admission.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 07:54:28 AM »
“@iowahawkblog: Coming up on Worldwide Wrasslin': it's Vladimir the Bear-Strangling KGB Bond Supervillain vs Gradschool McMomjeans.”

If you're not on the twitters, Iowahawkblog is worth the price of admission.

That encapsulates just how out of his depth BHO is.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 10:07:34 AM »
There won't be a shooting war between Russia and the USA - in fact, I don't expect the war of words to go TOO far, since we need Russia to put people on the ISS, having lost our own manned space flight capability under Obama.

It's no secret that Putin views Obama with contempt (who doesn't?) and Obama's cancellation of the summit denies Putin an opportunity to snub or lecture The Anointed One in front of cameras.

I doubt that Obama will go into full retard mode ala Jimmy Carter and prohibit US athletes from competing in the next Olympics, scheduled for Russia . . . but that's always a possibility, if Obama sees it as another opportunity to hurt the USA.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 10:12:32 AM »
It's no secret that Putin views Obama with contempt (who doesn't?) and Obama's cancellation of the summit denies Putin an opportunity to snub or lecture The Anointed One in front of cameras.

I wonder how many Americans, if given the choice, would rather have Putin as their President?
Lets face it, he's the Chuck Norris of the East, an has a firmer grasp of capitalism than Obama, and certainly isn't any more dangerous to America.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »
In Soviet Russia, Snowden go to war with you!
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 10:39:46 AM »
...if Obama sees it as another opportunity to hurt the USA.

This. The Democrats have worked hard to make that the most reliable predictive model for their actions.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 01:07:50 PM »
I wonder how many Americans, if given the choice, would rather have Putin as their President?
Lets face it, he's the Chuck Norris of the East, an has a firmer grasp of capitalism than Obama, and certainly isn't any more dangerous to America.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/115525721835415/?ref=ts&fref=ts   ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »
Obama was looking for an excuse to cancel.  Last visit Putin owned him and it showed.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »
Obama was looking for an excuse to cancel.  Last visit Putin owned him and it showed.
I would have loved to see Obama's reaction when the IRS told him they couldn't audit Putin . . .  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 07:27:07 PM »

Exactly. The guy who was going to repair our relations with the world has been so successful, he just had to close 20 embassies.

I AM STEALING THAT LINE FOR FACEBOOK!! THANKS!!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Levant

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 09:42:55 PM »
My question was rhetorical and I know he's not going to attack Russia to get Snowden.  But how far is he willing to push?  How much pushing does it take to destroy what little relationship there is?  And as the relationship spins out of control, how much closer do we get to war?  The journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.  Yes, war is a long way away from asylum but...

Even worse, as respect and even fear of the US dissolves all over the world, it is only the rifle behind every blade of grass that keeps us from being attacked.  As our nuclear arsenal ages and disintegrates, and Obama at the helm, neither Russia nor China fear us at all.  They could attack anywhere in the world and have no fear of our response. Japan and Taiwan could be gone in hours. 

These are the problems we face when a president takes a strong stand on things of little importance but no stand on things that matter.  No respect.  No fear.
NEOKShooter on GRM

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 12:10:17 AM »
These are the problems we face when a president takes a strong stand on things of little importance but no stand on things that matter.  No respect.  No fear.

Said well.

I AM STEALING THAT LINE FOR FACEBOOK!! THANKS!!

I'm not worried about you stealing it. You can't access Facebook.  :P

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 12:39:34 AM »
So Putin outright faking the elections, that was okay.

Putin banning adoptions from the US on the absurd claim it is better to be in a Russian orphanage than in a foster family in the US, and that US authorities would not properly investigate murder of Russian children, stopping ongoing adoptions from dozens of families - that was okay.

The state-sponsored anti-gay violence, that was fine.

But shelter a guy who reveals some NSA secret - oh, that's a bridge too far, there.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 01:17:50 AM »
I thought teh gay was his excuse, but I could be wrong about that.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 12:34:44 AM »

Putin banning adoptions from the US on the absurd claim it is better to be in a Russian orphanage than in a foster family in the US, and that US authorities would not properly investigate murder of Russian children, stopping ongoing adoptions from dozens of families - that was okay.

But shelter a guy who reveals some NSA secret - oh, that's a bridge too far, there.

I don't think any of those require any response by the US government.
NEOKShooter on GRM

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 05:29:05 AM »
I don't think any of those require any response by the US government.

Require - no, the Constitution is quite clear.

But to think the latter is a moral outrage but others are not, that is a fascinating view.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 08:19:12 AM »

Repubs and Dems are more likely to take notes.

That's honestly 100% within Russia's call. Stupid, but perfectly within their sovereign responsibilities.

Obviously, that's bad.

Obviously, that's good.

Snowden must have something impressive for the US government to lean on the UK and other governments as hard as they have. The US government has really pulled out the stops and done a lot of interesting things, officially and unofficially, about the Snowden leaks. It's a noticeable and huge leap beyond their response to Wikileaks.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.