Author Topic: Shooting in Charleston church  (Read 25074 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Shooting in Charleston church
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2015, 10:24:29 PM »
No, I am saying that allowing Roof to claim he killed those folks for a reason is to allow him some form of legitimacy, given that one mans freedom fighter etc etc.  Like it or not, throwing the term "terrorist" around for this kind of thing does make people think of PIRA, of the Irgun, of the Red Army Brigades, of Baader-Meinhof and the rest.  He isnt one of those.

Roof is a murdering scumbag who shot nine innocents in a church.  He really doesnt need any other label.  

He murdered a bunch of folks to incite race war, to provoke and terrorize the left wing racists.

He is a terrorist by definition.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/terrorist
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2015, 11:18:55 PM »
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/06/foghorn/charleston-church-attacker-dylann-roofs-manifesto/

White people invented something called spell-check, so we could oppress all those ebonics-speaking people and such-like. It takes almost no time at all.

I knew it!  Spell check is racist.  Dammit, I KNEW it!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2015, 02:18:34 AM »
No, I am saying that allowing Roof to claim he killed those folks for a reason is to allow him some form of legitimacy, given that one mans freedom fighter etc etc.  Like it or not, throwing the term "terrorist" around for this kind of thing does make people think of PIRA, of the Irgun, of the Red Army Brigades, of Baader-Meinhof and the rest.  He isnt one of those.

Roof is a murdering scumbag who shot nine innocents in a church.  He really doesnt need any other label. 

Roof earned "terrorist" through his heinous actions and motives. Terrorism is what he did, so a terrorist he is. It is not an honorific title. It does not legitimize or validate anyone. If it lumps him in with other terrorists, who were also murdering scumbags who killed innocents in churches, or elsewhere,* then the word has done its job. The point of labels is to label things, and he is correctly labeled a terrorist. (All this mania against labeling things is rather stupid, isn't it? Our ability to label things is called speech, and it is one of those things that makes us higher than the animals.)

Roof, being human, had a label for those he killed. He had a reason for killing them, and not killing some other bunch of people. In that way, he's like the humans that flew airplanes into the World Trade Center and not the Taj Mahal. That a man has unreasonable reasons does not mean he has no reasons.

*I'm talking about terrorists, not freedom-fighters.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
Terrorists? Mentally Ill?

Why not both?

Looks like both. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2015, 09:53:08 AM »

Why not both?

Looks like both. 

True.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2015, 10:42:08 AM »
If his real and true aim is to enact political change through violence (race war) than yes, he is a terrorist.  McVeigh was a terroirst.  Malvo was a terrorist.
The real reason to fear the label is the fun and games that come when that label starts getting tossed around more freely.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2015, 01:13:15 PM »
I read the manifesto, and that is a gross mischaracterization. The Zimmerman trial (and not to re-beat that dead horse, but what Roof saw as the railroading of Zimmerman) let to his researching of black on white crime which in turn led to a very dark corner of the internet.

A very pale white dark corner of the Internet.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2015, 01:44:55 PM »

Why not both?

Looks like both. 

The guy doesn't strike me as particularly crazy. Stupid and ignorant, sure. He looks like he knew full well what he was doing, nothing delusional here.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2015, 02:00:10 PM »
The guy doesn't strike me as particularly crazy. Stupid and ignorant, sure. He looks like he knew full well what he was doing, nothing delusional here.

Well, he did apparently believe his actions would kick off a race war; so I'd say there is some narcissism and delusion there. 

Crazy; but culpable.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2015, 06:47:18 PM »
Well, he did apparently believe his actions would kick off a race war; so I'd say there is some narcissism and delusion there. 

Crazy; but culpable.

A reverse John Brown?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2015, 03:51:17 PM »
Michael Z. Williamson has some thoughts regarding the cisracials,

http://www.michaelzwilliamson.com/blog/index.php?itemid=366

Well, really, he has one thought about the cisracials that he repeats several times.  But he does it very well.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2015, 04:19:56 PM »
And our governor just went retard. Not quite full retard, but some windows at the capital just got a bit cleaner.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2015, 05:27:59 PM »
I thought the grievance against biracial couples usually came from black American women, or from immigrant parents who want their kids to marry one of their own.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2015, 06:52:43 PM »
And our governor just went retard. Not quite full retard, but some windows at the capital just got a bit cleaner.

Sent this to All Senators and All Representatives:
I encourage you to resist the emotionalism currently swirling about regarding the tragic killings in Charleston and the racist bent of the alleged killer.  Neither the flag in question nor the sociopolitical entity it represents are representative of the demented mindset of the killer.  The current furor is not about anything but an attempt to gain traction by professional  agents provocateur.

Mourn the victims and honor their memory.  But do not think that you are doing that by surrendering to mob hysteria.

I might sleep better telling myself I tried.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2015, 07:27:37 PM »
As usual the liberals can't figure it out.   Let's go after something that is only vaguely, tangentially connected to the tragedy.   I sincerely doubt that he saw the Stars and Bars and decided to be a racist and go shoot up a historically black church.   Banning it, removing it, etc. will do absolutely nothing to change hearts and minds.  Mr. Bowl-Cut would have done it no matter what there is...

At least they have somewhat figured out that existing laws, nor any of the other laws they have proposed would have stopped Mr. Whackadoodle from his bloody rampage.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2015, 10:12:56 PM »
I thought the grievance against biracial couples usually came from black American women, or from immigrant parents who want their kids to marry one of their own.

Fistful, preaching against miscegenation has long been a staple of white supremacists and certain religious fundamentalists...up to and including dear Bob Jones Jr and Bob Jones III.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscegenation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-miscegenation_laws

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2000/marchweb-only/53.0.html
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2015, 10:28:15 PM »

Roof is a murdering scumbag who shot nine innocents in a church.  He really doesnt need any other label. 

Same thing that I told my wife when we were discussing it yesterday. 

The media also should not publish his name or picture; just refer to him anonymously (when they can't avoid referring to him at all; the story really is newsworthy) using phrases like "the pathetic loser".
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2015, 10:59:21 PM »
Fistful, preaching against miscegenation has long been a staple of white supremacists and certain religious fundamentalists...
True, however the underlying issue is that tribalists of all types often encourage marriage within their group, whether that group is defined by race, religion or political ideology.  When someone's self-identity is predominately defined by a particular characteristic, they tend to prioritize that characteristic.  There may even be some practical benefit to such pairings over their alternatives.  Perhaps in some cases shared cultural, religious or ideological backgrounds may provide some benefit to marital stability or avoid contention.  Or maybe not, I don't really know. 

All that to say both you and fistful are right: there are some white racists who denounce black/white couples and there are some black racists who denounce black/white couples.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2015, 12:26:31 AM »
Fistful, preaching against miscegenation has long been a staple of white supremacists and certain religious fundamentalists...up to and including dear Bob Jones Jr and Bob Jones III.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscegenation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-miscegenation_laws

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2000/marchweb-only/53.0.html

I thought that went without saying. I was talking about the people one is most likely (I think) to actually find pitching a fit about it today. For every white social justice warrior that nerd-rages over it (or skinhead, or Biblically-challenged fundie), I would imagine there's a dozen non-whites of the type I mentioned.

The following proves nothing one way or another, but is somewhat related. Some time ago, I remember a mostly white/part-Native American friend of mine saying that her dad thought that black/white couplings were probably ill-advised, given the trouble it might put the kids through. Twenty years later, Dad went with her to India, to meet her new, dark-skinned, internet boyfriend (dot, not feather). Her whole family went thither for the wedding. Both families were deeply involved in Christian ministry, though obviously not of the Bob Jones variety. As it turned out, the guy was a bum, and left her after only a few years of marriage. There were no children.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2015, 01:32:17 AM »

I thought that went without saying. I was talking about the people one is most likely (I think) to actually find pitching a fit about it today. For every white social justice warrior that nerd-rages over it (or skinhead, or Biblically-challenged fundie), I would imagine there's a dozen non-whites of the type I mentioned.

The following proves nothing one way or another, but is somewhat related. Some time ago, I remember a mostly white/part-Native American friend of mine saying that her dad thought that black/white couplings were probably ill-advised, given the trouble it might put the kids through. Twenty years later, Dad went with her to India, to meet her new, dark-skinned, internet boyfriend (dot, not feather). Her whole family went thither for the wedding. Both families were deeply involved in Christian ministry, though obviously not of the Bob Jones variety. As it turned out, the guy was a bum, and left her after only a few years of marriage. There were no children.

That's kind of my philosophy; mixed-race marriages are a really bad idea.  They are also none of my business.  I wish the young couple well; they're gonna need all the well-wishing they can get.
"It's good, though..."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2015, 03:35:14 AM »
A mixed couple should be aware that their kids will pay a price
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2015, 06:24:43 AM »
And one might wonder if keeping marriage within family might be a better idea. [popcorn]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2015, 07:32:10 AM »
That's kind of my philosophy; mixed-race marriages are a really bad idea.  They are also none of my business.  I wish the young couple well; they're gonna need all the well-wishing they can get.

Wtf?  Mixed race marriages are a bad idea why?

My view is that part of the problem with marriage is that it's become an institution - if people focused on ongoing commitment rather than mostly faux obligations they'd be better of
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."