Author Topic: What caliber for firing squad?  (Read 2550 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
What caliber for firing squad?
« on: March 19, 2022, 10:38:44 AM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/firing-squad-executions-get-the-greenlight-in-south-carolina/

I wonder what the modern firing squad uses.  Utah has done three executions by firing squad, the last one over 30 years ago.  They used Winchester Model 94s in .30-30 caliber.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

sumpnz

• friend
Re: What caliber for firing squad?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 10:51:07 AM »
I would think 7.62x51.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 10:58:34 AM »
.30 caliber.  :)  I agree with 7.62x51, or maybe .30-06
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 11:00:04 AM »
Shouldn't the convict get to choose?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 11:05:23 AM »
RPG. I would want to go quick, and I don't know how good those firing squad guys shoot. Is it still "only one guy has a real bullet"?

Edit: Oh, from the article, at least in SC, three shooters, all with live ammo. I could swear I remember reading something about only one guy having the live round, so none of the squad would know for sure if they killed someone. Though if you volunteer for a firing squad, maybe you don't care.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 11:06:58 AM »

Did the victim?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 11:09:48 AM »
Detcord
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 11:11:04 AM »
RPG. I would want to go quick, and I don't know how good those firing squad guys shoot. Is it still "only one guy has a real bullet"?

Edit: Oh, from the article, at least in SC, three shooters, all with live ammo. I could swear I remember reading something about only one guy having the live round, so none of the squad would no for sure if they killed someone. Though if you volunteer for a firing squad, maybe you don't care.

I always heard it was "one guy has a blank".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2022, 11:11:55 AM »

No.  They might pick something like a .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer or 5.5 Velo Dog.  (no guns chambered for it.)  Perhaps you could let her choose from a short list of approved cartridges.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 11:12:39 AM »

That could be. It was a long time ago that I read it, so I could have it backwards. Or maybe every state does it differently.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2022, 11:13:07 AM »

Yes, I thought it was 5 (maybe 6) shooters, and one had a blank.
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2022, 11:13:35 AM »
No.  They might pick something like a .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer or 5.5 Velo Dog.  (no guns chambered for it.)  Perhaps you could let her choose from a short list of approved cartridges.

.22 CB caps.  Repeat until task at hand is accomplished.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2022, 11:33:06 AM »
Red Ryder BB gun. Shoot until done.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2022, 12:16:02 PM »
RPG. I would want to go quick,

You might want to rethink that.  RPGs are not that accurate, and you don't want to die slowly from shrapnel or having a limb blown off.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2022, 12:20:28 PM »
You might want to rethink that.  RPGs are not that accurate, and you don't want to die slowly from shrapnel or having a limb blown off.

Okay then.

George Carter Stent described the process as follows: “The prisoner is generally tied to a gun with the upper part of the small of his back resting against the muzzle. When the gun is fired, his head is seen to go straight up into the air some forty or fifty feet; the arms fly off right and left, high up in the air, and fall at, perhaps, a hundred yards distance; the legs drop to the ground beneath the muzzle of the gun; and the body is literally blown away altogether, not a vestige being seen”.

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/execution-cannon-1890s/

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2022, 12:31:54 PM »

The Norks held at least one execution by placing the condemned at the impact site of a pre-sighted mortar. IIRC the word used to describe the result was "obliterated."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2022, 12:43:13 PM »
I always heard that firing squads were told that one gun was loaded with a blank so that they could tell themselves that they had not fired the lethal shot, but that no blank was actually used.

From the perspective of someone who has shot live rounds vs blanks and even light loads, it is hard for me to figure how you would have any doubt whether you had a live round or not.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2022, 01:02:41 PM »
They should use the AR15 in 5.56. Afterall it is the most dangerous firearm in the world.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2022, 01:34:40 PM »
I always heard that firing squads were told that one gun was loaded with a blank so that they could tell themselves that they had not fired the lethal shot, but that no blank was actually used.

From the perspective of someone who has shot live rounds vs blanks and even light loads, it is hard for me to figure how you would have any doubt whether you had a live round or not.

Yep, noticeable difference in recoil.
If the stories of using blanks are true perhaps to ease the minds of the shooters pre order to fire
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2022, 01:41:01 PM »
I know when hunting the adrenaline makes it so I don’t notice the recoil when I shoot a deer or elk.  I can imagine a similar thing with a firing squad especially with everyone firing simultaneously.  It might be tough to really tell if you had the live round or the blank.  That said, at least with true volunteer firing squads one would think they wouldn’t need that “peace of mind” that handing out a single blank would give.  For forced squads I can see it being necessary.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2022, 02:01:45 PM »
Detcord

I agree.  Wrap the head with detcord.  Dig a hole in the woods, have the perp stand in it.  Detonate and fill..  Simple and painless.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2022, 02:07:44 PM »
For those who unquestionably committed particularly horrendous murders skip the firing squad and just go straight to the hogs.
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2022, 02:12:23 PM »
I don't know why nobody uses nitrogen gas asphyxiation.  Give the condemned a tranquilizer pill ahead of time if they want it.  Put a respirator on them, supplying air.  Have a silent valve that switches it over to pure N2.  They will lose consciousness in seconds and be dead in a minute or so.  (give it 15 minutes just to make sure) It's cheap and painless.  Perhaps it's too cheap and too painless, and some things need to have a cost.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2022, 03:47:24 PM »
Yep, noticeable difference in recoil.
If the stories of using blanks are true perhaps to ease the minds of the shooters pre order to fire
I think that is about right.  Some people are going to harbor some guilt over it.  Giving them some reason to think it wasn't them that did the killing might make it a bit better.  They will convince themselves the recoil felt different. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2022, 06:08:34 PM »
I could swear I remember reading something about only one guy having the live round, so none of the squad would know for sure if they killed someone. Though if you volunteer for a firing squad, maybe you don't care.

I thought it was six shooters, and five live rounds.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design