Author Topic: What caliber for firing squad?  (Read 2552 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: What caliber for firing squad?
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2022, 06:11:14 PM »
The Norks held at least one execution by placing the condemned at the impact site of a pre-sighted mortar. IIRC the word used to describe the result was "obliterated."

Yes, and IIRC the condemned was the chubby dictator's own uncle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2022, 06:14:53 PM »
The Norks held at least one execution by placing the condemned at the impact site of a pre-sighted mortar. IIRC the word used to describe the result was "obliterated."

Kim has come up with several "unique" ways to remove the undesirables from his influence. ;)

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/brutal-execution-methods-used-north-16512927

bob

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2022, 06:43:57 PM »
For pedo's and rapists I think feet first in a woodchipper is the proper thing to do.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2022, 08:24:03 PM »
Double aught buck, please.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BobR

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2022, 09:09:11 PM »
For pedo's and rapists I think feet first in a woodchipper is the proper thing to do.

I would go so far as to suggest a spinal epidural to numb them from the hips down so the pain doesn't cause them to lose conscious too quickly. But hey, that's just me.

bob

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2022, 09:18:02 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2022, 04:07:44 PM »
I always heard that firing squads were told that one gun was loaded with a blank so that they could tell themselves that they had not fired the lethal shot, but that no blank was actually used.

From the perspective of someone who has shot live rounds vs blanks and even light loads, it is hard for me to figure how you would have any doubt whether you had a live round or not.

Agreed.  I even had a Discussion with a so-called gun expert who maintained that a person could not tell whether they had fired a blank or a live round

Having fired many blanks for Independence Day, I can attest the recoil is quite unmistakably different --a mild push instead of a solid whack. This Discussion revolved around the then-recent Gardner execution in Utah.

The reaction (kick) of twenty-thirty grains of blank powder does not equate to the reaction (kick) of ~35 grains of 3031 with a 150 grain bullet on top of it.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 04:31:56 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2022, 04:13:13 PM »
Agreed.  I even had a Discussion with a so-called gun expert who maintained one could not tell whether they had fired a blank or a live round. Having fired many blanks for Independence Day, I can attest the recoil is quite unmistakably different --a mild push instead of a solid whack. This Discussion revolved around the Gardner execution in Utah.

The reaction of twenty grains of blank powder does not equate to the reaction of forty grains of 3031 with a 130 grain bulllet on top of it.

Terry, 230RN

Perhaps it does in one's imagination and memory if he is feeling guilty after participating in a firing squad.
"It's good, though..."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2022, 06:54:56 PM »
A firing squad seems a bit messy,  Plus, someone has to clean up the mess, unless the condemned is shot next to the grave/pit.

I'm still a fan of nitrogen asphyxiation. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2022, 08:24:43 PM »
A firing squad seems a bit messy,  Plus, someone has to clean up the mess, unless the condemned is shot next to the grave/pit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML6oLuLecQ4
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2023, 12:38:10 PM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/is-bringing-back-firing-squads-for-executions-a-good-idea/

Again, nitrogen is essentially free, or giving someone an overdose of Fentanyl is quick and non-messy.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2023, 12:46:06 PM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/is-bringing-back-firing-squads-for-executions-a-good-idea/

Again, nitrogen is essentially free, or giving someone an overdose of Fentanyl is quick and non-messy.

I'm another fan of Nitrogen, which, unless I have missed it, no state government seems to even want to pursue as a viable option. Seems like a gas exchange system is a whole lot less complex than that Rube Goldberg system they have for lethal injections.

On the Fentanyl, that's what they gave my dad at end of life. For several hours before he passed, he was asleep, but it sure looked like he was having bad dreams. His head kept shaking back and forth like he was having a nightmare or something. I did not enjoy watching that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2023, 12:50:28 PM »

Fentanyl can be messy if given incorrectly, well not really messy as in dirty messy. If you push an IV dose too quick, or too much, it has a nasty side effect of causing chest wall rigidity, AKA Wooden Chest Syndrome. Without chest expansion you can't get that air moving, even intubating and bagging won't help. Someone would figure it out and cry "cruel", then it would be frowned on as an execution method.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23546488/

I wonder how many current fentanyl OD deaths are caused by this, just a random thought.

It can be really bad in neonates.

https://journals.lww.com/ccmjournal/Abstract/2000/03000/Fentanyl_induced_chest_wall_rigidity_and.37.aspx

But as in other opioid ODs, Narcan can fix it.

bob

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2023, 03:25:30 PM »
Some states have considered or are considering conducting executions with nitrogen gas.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/17/alabama-nitrogen-hypoxia-new-execution-method

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nitrogen-hypoxia-execute-human-bloodless-020249754.html

https://oklahomawatch.org/2018/07/17/puzzle-of-nitrogen-execution-could-present-issues-for-state/

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/17/594537757/oklahoma-tries-a-new-execution-method-nitrogen-gas

They’re overthinking the N2 method.  Forget a face mask, hood, etc.  Build an airtight chamber and bolt down a chair with straps inside.  A microphone for the last statement. Intramuscular tranquilizers for uncooperative inmates.  Remote medical monitors to determine death.  And since N2 is already 78% of the atmosphere, unlike cyanide gas, vent the chamber to the outside and blow in regular air before personnel go in, and have O2 monitors (not visible to the condemned) to confirm it’s safe to enter following the execution (and/or provide SCBA equipment).  If they try to hold their breath, just wait a minute or two.  Most people can’t even hold it that long.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2023, 03:47:06 PM »
Those were exactly my thoughts.  And an anti-death penalty type in one of the articles called N2 a "poison".  Maybe he should start a movement to ban the use of N2.  We can't have that poison floating around in the atmosphere.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2023, 06:12:57 PM »
Those were exactly my thoughts.  And an anti-death penalty type in one of the articles called N2 a "poison".  Maybe he should start a movement to ban the use of N2.  We can't have that poison floating around in the atmosphere.

While we're at it we need to ban dihydrogen monoxide.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2023, 07:34:39 PM »
IIRC, Gary Gilmore was executed by a team using Model 94 Winchesters chambered in .30-30 WCF.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2023, 07:51:45 PM »
IIRC, Gary Gilmore was executed by a team using Model 94 Winchesters chambered in .30-30 WCF.

That would surprise me.  .308 would be my expectation, maybe .30-06.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2023, 07:58:21 PM »
45-70 Govt, please
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2023, 08:04:16 PM »
That would surprise me.  .308 would be my expectation, maybe .30-06.

Apparently the Utah Department of Corrections has been using Winchester 94s (as of Gilmore's execution in the 1970s) since the first decade of the 20th century.

Not surprising, really. 94s were a known entity, they were reliable, and it was likely that every guard who was handed one was familiar with the use and operation of a Winchester lever action.

It wasn't until the early 1970s that the Los Angeles Police Department ditched the .30-30 Winchester, one of which was in the trunk of each patrol sergeant's car.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2023, 09:41:19 PM »
I mean, 30-30 is obviously plenty.  Heck, 223/5.56 would be plenty.  Just seems like .308 would be used because it’s the military battle rifle caliber.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2023, 09:47:55 PM »
I mean, 30-30 is obviously plenty.  Heck, 223/5.56 would be plenty.  Just seems like .308 would be used because it’s the military battle rifle caliber.

If they already have rifles which are already quite effective why spend the money on new ones just to change calibers?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

griz

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2023, 11:32:40 PM »
They should use the AR15 in 5.56. Afterall it is the most dangerous firearm in the world.

Does it blow the lungs out of the body like a 9MM does?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2023, 11:50:08 PM »
Does it blow the lungs out of the body like a 9MM does?

Just wait until we get into the .45 caliber stuff.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG