Author Topic: Mmmmmm. Pot Roast.  (Read 3915 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Mmmmmm. Pot Roast.
« on: March 01, 2008, 07:51:23 AM »
Grocery store down the street had chuck roast for $1.00 a lb.  grin
I bought four, @2.5 lbs each. 3 are in the freezer.

Wednesday after lunch, I put one roast in the crockpot with a bottle of BBQ sauce, onion chunks, and quartered potatoes. Let the crockpot do it's thing.

Made a little bed of egg noodles, added on a chunk o' meat and some potatoes, then ladled a little bbq sauce/gravy over the whole works.

Kiddo rated it 4 stars, and I still have a couple chunks left, though not for long...

Chuck roast - $2.50
BBQ sauce - $2.50
Potatoes - $1.50?
Onion - $1.00

$7.50 and there's still some left.  grin

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Mmmmmm. Pot Roast.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 05:29:33 AM »
One dollar a pound?  Is the grocery store across the street from the slaughterhouse?

Sounds good.  I need to get a crock pot.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 05:54:03 AM »
One dollar a pound?  Is the grocery store across the street from the slaughterhouse?

Sounds good.  I need to get a crock pot.
You would think so, for that price, but no it was a loss-leader sale. That particular grocery store hates me because I buy only the loss-leaders, nothing else. I don't believe I have ever paid full price for anything in that store. laugh

It was definitely good stuff, I'm going to try it again. Maybe I'll cut back to 1/2-3/4 of a bottle of BBQ sauce, it was just on the verge of being too BBQish.

My ex bought my crockpot for me for Christmas a couple years ago. I had asked that if she saw one at a garage sale (one of her hobbies) if she would pick it up for me. She bought me a brand new one. She's sweet. cool

I use mine frequently.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 05:58:21 AM »
My local safeway has chuck roast on sale right now. I'm thinking of picking one up and trying a pressure cooker pot roast.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 06:24:01 AM »
My local safeway has chuck roast on sale right now. I'm thinking of picking one up and trying a pressure cooker pot roast.

Hmm, would you get the same slow-cooker tenderizing effect with a pressure cooker, I wonder? If so, that's a great idea. The roast I made took 9 hours.

Grandma used to cook with a pressure cooker, but wouldn't let anyone in the kitchen when she used it. As such, I have no experience with them.
Seems one of my uncles removed the "wobble valve" on top of the cooker one night and burned himself pretty badly. shocked

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 06:42:32 AM »

Hmm, would you get the same slow-cooker tenderizing effect with a pressure cooker, I wonder? If so, that's a great idea. The roast I made took 9 hours.

Grandma used to cook with a pressure cooker, but wouldn't let anyone in the kitchen when she used it. As such, I have no experience with them.
Seems one of my uncles removed the "wobble valve" on top of the cooker one night and burned himself pretty badly. shocked

Oh, you can get it tender alright. I once had barbecued chicken made in a pressure cooker. You could literally eat the bones, and I did.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 07:49:13 AM »
take that cut it up a lil bit and throw it into the pop with some onions and garlic, let it go and with about an hour left throw in some sliced green peppers and depending how spicy you like some cut up banana peppers.

Done right you want the meat to just pretty much shred/easily be pulled apart.

MMMMMM
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 07:53:25 AM »
Pot roast makes my pee smell funny but I love it.  Pot roast, that is, not the funny smelling pee.

I usually cook mine in beef stock then drain it and pull it apart and then put it back in the crock pot with the BBQ sauce. 
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 09:53:48 AM »
"Hmm, would you get the same slow-cooker tenderizing effect with a pressure cooker, I wonder?"

In a word, yes.

The tenderization effect comes from the break down of connective tissue, collagen, into gelatin. When that begins to happen, things start to get real tender real fast -- fork tender, in fact, where you can pull the meat apart with out having to cut it with a knife.

The true key to that isn't dry roasting, it's braising. Liquid in this case isn't a lubricant, it's a medium through which heat transfers far more effectively than air.

A slow cooker is a low heat source. You're lucky if you can get one up to more than 200 deg. F., even on high. I can BARELY get my slow cooker up to a boil along the edges, the center is usually 10-20 degrees cooler.

And, even if you do get it to the boil, you're only going to get it up to 212 or so deg.

A pressure cooker, on the other hand, raises the cooking temperature to around 250 deg. F. At that temperature collagen in the connective tissue starts to break down rather quickly and you can cook a pot roast a lot faster.

Grisly is also quite correct about chicken (or even beef) bones. Bones are held together mainly by collage. Dissolve that out, and the bones will get really soft and crumble.

I frequently make my own chicken stock. The old way was to cook it in a stock pot for upwards 8 hours to make sure that all of the collagen dissolved and you had lots of gelatin in the stock.

I've started using my pressure cooker to make stocks, though.

I can do in roughly half an hour with the pressure cooker what it takes all day with an open stock pot.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 08:01:58 PM »
I cooked a turkey with my giant pressure cooker last Thanksgiving... From somewhat frozen to falling off the bones in I think it was 2 hours... :-D

Afterwards I stripped the bones and threw that all in the smaller cooker and ran it for a while with an onion and some other spices... made stock that set like gelatin in the fridge, it's what I used to make the kickin' soup I'm eating this paycheck in the "cheap eats" thread...

Pressure cookers rock Smiley Your grandmother probably wouldn't let anyone in the kitchen because the old ones sometimes were at risk of explosion, new pressure cookers have nice big locking lugs and a safety interlock so you can't turn the lid to unlock it if there's *any* pressure in it. And don't screw around with the wobbler, that's a pressure regulator...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 08:21:13 PM »
45 minutes in the pressure cooker last night and you'd think that my pot roast had been slow cooking in the oven for 6 hours.

Absolutely incredible.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 09:03:47 PM »
15 more minutes in the PC and the pot roast will be on my table.  Yummmmmmmmmmm
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 04:30:32 AM »
I do so love a good pot roast.