Author Topic: Cigars!  (Read 4974 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Cigars!
« on: December 13, 2006, 06:22:17 PM »
What kinda cigars do you all like?

I'm sitting here finishing off the last of a bottle of Macallan 12 and smoking my last Montecristo, and thinking that life is pretty darned good sometimes.  I really should do this more often. 

I'll need to buy some new cigars soon, and I'm curious what cigars you all like and what you like 'em.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Cigars!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 10:51:32 PM »
Tobacco is not one of my vices, but on those rare occasions I consume the stuff I tend to favor Nat Sherman's Nat's Cigarillo's. http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-NSA&cat=79  It goes quite well with The Macallen actually. Cheesy
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 11:18:40 PM »
If cigars are the single malts of tobacco, then pipe tobac is the fine wine.   I'm currently hooked on Esoterica's famous Penzance flake.  With pipe tobac you can mix a vast array of flavors from the ultra-intense and spicy Louisiana Perique to smokey Latakia and sharp Virginias.   

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 12:00:11 AM »
Monte Christo White Label.

Actually my local guy has his house blend that is my lastest addiction.  I like them a lot.

Headless Thompson Gunner - If you want- shoot me your address and I send you a couple.  Real good stuff, in my opinion.  Kurt's out of Londonderry, NH.

I quit drinking, but from what I remember, these would go real good with the Macallan.  Have you ever tried the 15?  I liked a lot more.

Hey- any suggestions for NA drink to go with a cigar?  No mater what I've tried, I can find a damn thing that even comes close a nice scotch and a cigar.

One day at a time.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 12:12:26 AM »
Hear, hear! Cosmoline speaks the truth. Any flavors you like, at any depth and complexity. Marrying pipes to a favorite blends is one of the genuine pleasures in life (my meerschaum loves light english blends, for example). It's difficult not to feel a solid sense of improvement in your general situation whilst puffing slowly on your briar (or cob, or meer or.....). See my sig for more information.

I did used to smoke cigars from time to time, however, and always leaned towards very mild ones. I had a genuine Cuban a couple of weeks ago and was really not very impressed.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 12:36:45 AM »
Let's see...

If someone else is buying, a Fuente Fuente Opus X is always good.  grin shocked
Padrone Anniversary maduros are up there.
CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroons, torpedo shape, are the ones I first fell in love with.  smiley
For indulgence in a guilty pleasure, Acid Liquids are pretty decent.  Almost like a Cojimar White Sage.

Toranos, though, are what I have most often.  IMO, the best are the 1916 Cameroon or the Exodus 1959.

Regarding pipe tobacco, the only stuff I like that's sweet is Blockade Runner by Cornell & Diehl.  For everything else, I like varying combinations of red virginia, latakia, a relatively small amount of white burley, and maybe a dash of light cavendish.  Any of 'em are good out of my only remaining (and by far, the most expensive) pipe I have (or can find)... a Peterson Churchwarden Dublin Ebony.

plus plus

over

equals a true day off.  smiley
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 01:03:28 AM »
ex-ma hole: Hey- any suggestions for NA drink to go with a cigar?  No mater what I've tried, I can find a damn thing that even comes close a nice scotch and a cigar.[/b]
Try ginger ale.  Just about any will do--Seagrams, Schweppes, Canada Dry, whatever. 

Also, good coffee (not Folgers, not even Starbucks) is a fine companion. 

Oolong or Earl Grey tea. Milk/sugar/honey/whatever as you see fit. Green tea is too delicate.

Any of the above work for me whenever I'm uninterested in alcohol for the time being.  smiley
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 01:08:05 AM »
I find that rooibos red tea goes really well with pipe smoking, so you could give it a try with cigars. It always feels like the coffee of the tea world, sans caffeine.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 03:47:19 AM »
Thanks!
One day at a time.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 04:10:03 AM »
Headless Thompson Gunner - If you want- shoot me your address and I send you a couple.
We should get some cigar trading going amongst us....

Greg

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 04:19:33 AM »
Someone tag me!  I'm goin' in.

Cigars???  Drop by www.jrcigars.com
Largest cigar retailer in the world.  I've been to three of their 4 storefronts.  Lets just say I'm impressed.  The Burlington, NC walk-in humidor is only 25,000 sq ft.  The company has a great website.  Selection is unfreakin' believable and shipping charges are reasonable.

Me?  I specialize in good but cheap cigars.  Unbranded but sourced from branded factories.  JR's is the Disneyland of cigars.

http://www.jrcigar.com/index.cfm?page=cigars

Prefer single malt scotch.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 04:54:00 AM »
Oh, and I prefer either CAO Criollos or Partagas Spanish Rosadas....

Greg

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 06:49:57 AM »
Hey HTG -- I smoked your recommended Cuban Montecristo when I was in Belize last week. My first Cuban. It was nice and mild (how I like my cigars).

Given that, I did find out for myself that though good, Cubans aren't necessarily tops over cigars from other countries. I like Hoyo Excaliburs best, then in no particular order, Punch, Romeo y Julieta, and Espanolas (when I can find them).

I also recently got into Redneck cigar smoking via the much maligned Thompson Cigar Company, smoking those flavored Roughnecks -- little ugly looking things, but fun.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 06:57:08 AM »
I'm a HUGE fan of Onyx Reserve.
Zeke

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 07:09:02 AM »
I am not a big fan of tobacco at all, and don't use it, but I find second hand pipe and cigar smoke far less offensive than second hand cigarette smoke.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 07:21:03 AM »
I rarely smoke cigars, but when I do I prefer an Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva (I believe that's the correct spelling, don't hold me to it) in the $6-$10 range.

I smoke a pipe almost every day.  I've been working through a supply of Black Mallory recently, as well as a strong Perique/Black Cavendish blend the tobacconist (Gold Leaf, Seabrook, NH) calls Lobotomy.  I also normally have a supply of Mac Baren Navy Flake on hand, something with Latakia in it, and some "candy" (white or golden Cavendish with a light case).

As far as pipes go, I prefer Canadians.  Anything with a straight stem, really.  I can't stand trying to clean anything greater than a quarter-bent.

And as far as I'm concerned, there is no scotch other than Laphroaig.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 07:31:06 AM »
Someone tag me!  I'm goin' in.

Cigars???  Drop by www.jrcigars.com
Largest cigar retailer in the world.  I've been to three of their 4 storefronts.  Lets just say I'm impressed.  The Burlington, NC walk-in humidor is only 25,000 sq ft.  The company has a great website.  Selection is unfreakin' believable and shipping charges are reasonable.

Me?  I specialize in good but cheap cigars.  Unbranded but sourced from branded factories.  JR's is the Disneyland of cigars.

http://www.jrcigar.com/index.cfm?page=cigars

Prefer single malt scotch.

What??? They do not carry Rocky Patel's  sad

I smoked a 12 year vintage torpedo last night and it was so good. I tried his newer 7 year vintage and was a little disappointed in the flavor.
I also like the Esplendido from Partagas. The shape and size of it is perfect for the tobacco inside it. In fact I like most cigars that are shaped like that.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

auschip

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 09:10:46 AM »
For an everyday smoke I prefer the La Gloria Cubana Serie R - usually the #6.  I smoked a couple really nice cigars over the weekend; the Funete Opus X Churchhill, and the Davidoff Diademas Fina.  Of the two I prefered the Davidoff.  Both of those cigars are considered pricy at $30 & $25 respectively. 

For a shorter smoke the Ashton VSG Sorcerer is nice, but you have to be careful, since it is easy to get en uneven burn because of the odd shape.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 09:13:54 AM »

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 05:07:17 PM »
Those price tags are another reason I favor pipes.  Thanks to the boomers who decided they were hip a decade ago, the good ones run over $10, $20 or more each. But you can still get the finest pipe tobac in the world for $6 to $12 a tin, and it will last for dozens of smokes.  The pipes cost a bit, but they also last a long time.  I favor a basic Stanwell churchwarden which ran about $90.  I attach the short stem to it.  It's not exactly orthodox, but it's a survivor.  I bought it five years ago and it's still going strong.  The cheap wood pipes are best avoided.  Here's a site that reviews the top tobaks:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 12:25:42 AM »
Had my first Cuban last night.  Had to come to Iraq to get it.  While I did like it everyone is in agreement that they are not any better or worse than Dominicans or others.  The biggest thing about them is that they are banned in the states.  That being said it would be nice to have a humidor over here since the ones that we bought yesteday were dried out could use some time to rehydrate and then they probably would smoke even a little better.
As for the alcohol that is forbidden for me while I am here where I am for the time being.  However, a Cuban and Mountain Dew is not all that bad. grin
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 03:16:08 AM »
wmenorr67-

Thank you for your service.  If you run low on smokes, let me know.

I'd be honored to send you some.

M

P.S.  TarpleyG- I'm in.
One day at a time.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 04:32:54 AM »
ex-ma hole,
Running low on smokes could become a problem on a two-fold account.  I have a humdior full back in the states and I am debating on having SWMBO boxing them up and sending them.  The other issue is that even if I purchase them here is getting a humidor to maintain the freshness.  Things tend to dry up here in a hurry.  Also I have found that non-alcohol Beck's is not half bad.  Not as good as the real stuff but better than nothing.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 04:56:53 AM »
Cigars in a plastic wrapper + damp Paper towel + double Ziplock bag?

What do you think?
One day at a time.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 08:14:47 AM »
Place cigars in a ziplock and zip it closed.  Place the cigars (in the bag) into another ziplock bag.  Wet a paper towel so that it is wet but does not drip.  Place the towel in the second bag and close it all up.  Polyethylene will transmit moisture at a slow but steady rate.  Watch the towel and when it looks dry, pull it out and insert another wet towel.  Great method for slowly rescuing dry cigars.  Great field improvised humidor.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon