Author Topic: Postal Security Alert  (Read 990 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Postal Security Alert
« on: December 14, 2006, 06:47:35 PM »
I thought I would let ya'll know about a possible threat to your mail. Recently, I recieved a letter from a well-known insurance company. The envelope had a hard plastic card, like a credit card, with raised letters and numbers on it. This was a piece of junk mail, as I did not have a policy with the company. The interesting thing was that their was a carbon imprint on top of the envelope. It seems that someone had run the envelope through one of those old style credit card copiers (you know, where you use carbon paper to make a copy of the card on a piece of paper). This left partial numbers from the machine itself on the envelope. They did not get any info, of course, but it worries me that someone is doing this. Their only mistake was putting the letter back in circulation instead of throwing it away. We have contacted the Postal Inspectors about this. I do not know if this is a new thing or if it has been going on a long time. I just know that I have never heard of it before know. I would like to know if any of ya'll have seen this before or heard of it. So much attention is being paid to electronic security these days, but little is mentioned about postal security.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

Re: Postal Security Alert
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 07:06:57 PM »
I shred all credit card applications I get.

Anything with account numbers gets shredded also.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 05:02:21 AM »
I suspect that what actually happened was that postal sorting machinery left that mark, and the "carbon" is actually trace amounts of ink on the processing rollers that was picked up from other envelopes passing through the machine before yours.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 05:14:09 AM »
I think it's simply a ruse to make you think it's "official" so you'll at least open it and check the contents.  I've seen the same thing with credit card apps.

Chris

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 05:20:00 AM »
I shred everything that's personalized with my name on it, including unsolicited junk mail from credit card and insurance companies.

Some folks send back the postage-paid business reply envelope after filling it with more junk mail - this wastes the time of the people the junk-mail sender hires to process these things, and they still get nicked for the return postage.  grin
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 04:13:03 PM »
SHRED EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Incidentally; right now have a $2500 check missing. Co says sent 12/11. Tracking # (USPS) shows delivered 10/06 in Japan. Sent "next day"; now 12/15. One report explained 10/06 delivery as USPS "recycles" tracking #'s, just never updated computer to show latest use. Later, USPS denies recycles tracking #'s. If it's not here Monday (12/18) will contact postal inspectors.

RECORD EVERYTHING: I can tell you who and when I talked to at co. and gist of conversation. Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack thread. Just not USPS fan. Glad that wasn't a real credit card there!

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 06:57:55 PM »
^^^^

Sounds like they gave you the old "check's in the mail" story, complete with old tracking number to fox you and buy more time.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 03:19:10 PM »
Yeah, P.D.; that would be my guess. With high returns they get on MY money, a few days can add up to several $$. Multiply that by # they screw, ahh, I mean serve...well, could be the difference between big profit and BIG profit. Not here today, Monday sees postal inspectors getting involved. Start making accusations of USPS theft and I'm sure they'll quickly find the $ and the problem, especially when they start getting calls from my congress creeps!! I'm damned good at rattling chains!

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 08:03:10 AM »
Speaking of security leaks.. while a bit off topic from the possible postal scam mentioned.

I happened to notice one day while browsing model homes just to see the quailty level of the local contractors.

One particular open house office had applications with $2500 downpayment checks attached to each one.
There had to be over 30 of them laying out in stacks over several tables. 
Not a soul around, with a note on the door "Out showing a house"

I'd imagine most open house style office/homes your average subdev operates are potencial dens of theivery.

Of course I would never buy a home that is spitting distance from my neighbor.  But for those of you that like that lifestyle I'd suggest a heads up and make sure the office your handing large checks out to are not run by naive people.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76