Author Topic: Sending perishables to Iraq?  (Read 992 times)

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Sending perishables to Iraq?
« on: December 16, 2006, 05:01:46 AM »
An acquaintance of mine has a son currently stationed in Iraq.  Poor kid is allergic to seafood and shellfish.  Wanted to know if Dad could find a way to send some nice steaks.  Mail takes two weeks, and sending via DHL, Fed-Ex, etc., are prohibitively expensive.

Anyone know how we can help this youn'un out ??
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Sending perishables to Iraq?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 06:11:28 AM »
Currently here in Iraq myself.  Depending on where the son is he could have access to a BX/PX that sells meat.  If that is the case Dad could send an AAFES gift card and let his son purchase the steaks for himself.  Other than that any good jerky and/or summer sausage would be a big hit as well.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 09:01:43 AM »
What wmenorr67  said.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 09:34:11 AM »
Do you know where exactly the guy is stationed?  If he's on a small FOB or something (likely if he's Infantry, MP, or something like that) he probably won't have access to a commissary.  Our FOB just has a smallish PX.  Decent, but all packaged food.  Honestly, I'd be surprised to find fresh food, esp good steaks, even on the larger FOBs in the IZ.

To warn you, your mail will be abused.  It will be thrown around, stored in a hot conex (well, it is cooler this time of year), and possibly held up for a few weeks.  Don't send anything that can't handle abuse or at least isn't well packaged (think leaks). 

You could send him something vacuum sealed or something maybe???  Just thinking.  The next question is where is he going to cook it?

Anyway, I second the suggestion for jerky or summer sausage.  The steaks may be less than realistic. 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 06:26:59 PM »
I myself am on one of if not the smallest FOB in the IZ and was told that the larger PX's do have a meat department.  Was told that there is a selection of steaks, burger meat and even ribs.  Have not yet witnessed this for myself.  As for cooking the product we are in the military and have become quite good and adapting, inprovising and overcome such obsticles.  For example on my FOB we have two grills and an outdoor fireplace.  Cooking up a nice meal will not be a problem.  Just need to locate such fixin's.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 09:56:25 PM »
Reeeeally.  I knew you guys up in the IZ were living large, but damn.  I withdraw my earlier statements.  Except the one about mail.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 10:22:13 PM »
The PX at Victory North had meat when I was there 2 years ago.

That was a pretty big BX.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 11:30:10 PM »
Hey Phantom, I didn't even mention the swimming pool. grin

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 06:28:10 AM »
Not sure where he's stationed, apparently somewhere that the PX doesn't have a meat department.... laugh

Just tryin' to help the feller out.   I do know that the mail takes about two weeks.

How long would dry ice last?  Think frozen steaks would make it two weeks?
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 07:35:22 AM »
Any ideas of what kind of decent foods/meats for the backpacker/camper are availaible?  I am thinking of freeze dried, no refrigeration needed, and other such types.

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 07:36:08 AM »
Not sure where he's stationed, apparently somewhere that the PX doesn't have a meat department.... :laugh:
Just tryin' to help the feller out.   I do know that the mail takes about two weeks.
How long would dry ice last?  Think frozen steaks would make it two weeks?

No, the steaks will be rotten by the time they get there.  We used to bring frozen tri-tip to Oregon and Pennsylvania. Car trip to OR, they were frozen, wrapped in towels, and packed in a case; partially thawed and put in a hotel freezer for the night on a two day drive.  Flight to PA, frozen, wrapped and packed; partially thawed on arrival.

I dont know about the dry ice.  It would start to melt at some point and make the package a soggy mess.  If you could find a Styrofoam ice chest it would help but the chest might not survive the handling. 

Have a look at this, http://www.jerkyhut.com/ , Ill vouch for their claim of being the best in the universe. 
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>