Author Topic: Minnesota has a budget surplus. Should refund checks be issued?  (Read 1217 times)

thebaldguy

• friends
Minnesota has a budget surplus. Should refund checks be issued?
« on: October 12, 2006, 04:12:53 PM »
Our state has reported a budget surplus of hundreds of millions of dollars. Should the state issue refund checks for taxpayers, or save the money for a rainy day? I can see both sides, but I have to think that since we are overtaxed, the money should be refunded. What do you think? Save it, spend it, or refund it?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 04:21:53 PM »
or save the money for a rainy day?
Only if you believe that the government can use or save your money better than you yourself can.
The only good argument that I can give for the state to bank the money is that the money wasn't collected equally but will probably be refunded equally to everyone.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 04:35:18 PM »
Yep, the problem with refund checks is that the money coming out of the treasury never widns up back in the hands of those who paid it into the treasury.  Refunds are usually issued disproportionately to lower-income individuals who didn't pay a dime in taxes to begin with.  It's wealth redistribution of the worst sort.

Lowering the tax rates would be a far more fair solution than issuing refunds or banking the surplus.  That surplus money belongs to the people from whom the tax revenues were extorted.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 05:04:55 PM »
Let me know when you get your refund check, because I can make you a great offer on a bridge that's been in my family for generations...
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 06:16:57 PM »
Obviously, the state of Minnesota has way too much money, and needs to give it back to those who were grossly over-taxed.

I didn't say I believe it will happen.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 06:17:28 PM »
They did the same thing here is Las Vegas. They issues refund checks to everyone who had paid a vehicle registration in the last year. Before that happened though, some advocacy group moaned that illegal aliens couldn't get their share, so they changed it to anyone with a Nevada issued ID. What you paid in registration taxes decided how much you recieved back.

There were much better things the money could be spent on. Our teachers are some of the most under paid in the nation, I'm sure the 300 million of our state surplus could have been better spent.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Big_R

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 07:15:09 AM »
Actually, back in the Ventura administration, refund checks were issued due to a budget surplus.  As I recall, there was a big disagreement whether low income people (that didn't pay any state tax) were entitled to a refund.  I can't remember how it went, but I did receive a check.

Ryan

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 07:36:53 AM »
I agree with the Headless One.  Lowering taxes will have longer-term salutary effects than any one-time refund.
Tennessee had the same situation, after years of screaming for more tax revenue.  There was a proposal to lower the incredible 9.25% sales tax.  Instead they upped legislators' salaries.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 07:01:25 PM »
fix infrastruture, be a benefit to all then.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 04:57:46 AM »
Use the money, I'm sure they could use freeway upgrades and whatnot.  Then, cut taxes that amount for the next year.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 09:21:56 AM »
Spend the money on programs - specifically, new programs.

Let those new programs grow.

Turn that surplus into a future deficit!

(This suggestion brought to you by the Minnesota DFL Party.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain