Author Topic: Anyone here ever left the Government?  (Read 801 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Anyone here ever left the Government?
« on: October 15, 2006, 05:57:00 PM »
Contemplating not working until retirement in my cush Gubmn't job.  I'm eligible in 17 years and 10 months, and am not really enjoying myself anymore.  I'd rather grow my wife's business and enjoy more time at home with the family.
So my question is, anyone here ever quit the Federal government?  What am I entitled to on my way out (AL, SL payouts, etc?)  What did you do with your TSP?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

jeff-10

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 06:16:59 PM »
Since you have 17 years left I take it you are either around 40 or your a newly minted 1811 series. Since I doubt you would be resigning from new Federal LEO job that quickly I take it you are around 40. I am pretty sure you get absolutely nothing if you resign. Your time served basically sits there, along with your sick leave in case you ever rejoin. I do believe that if you bought your military time back you may be able to cash that out. Not sure about the AL. I imagine you may be able to cash that in. All of the TSP is yours if you have worked there more than 3 years if not the goverments takes its matching contributions back. I believe most ppl roll whatever they have into an IRA after leaving.

I have seen so many ppl leave there goverment jobs and try to get back in after they get a taste of the private work force. Just remember the hardest part about a Federal Goverment job is landing it, rejoining can be problematic to say the least. Good luck with whatever you decide. Although I currently part of the civil service, and I kind of like it I am also a big advocate of quitting a job you despise. Life is short and this isnt a trial run, so try to find something you enjoy.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 07:41:38 PM »
Neither.  I'm an air traffic controller, and am eligible with 25 years at any age or 20 over age 50, plus mandatory at age 56.  I'm 32 now.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 02:34:46 AM »
What Jeff said is essentially right. As an air traffic controller I imagine you're susceptible to early burnout, as that's a stressful job at times. As a long-time user (pilot), I appreciate that.

Your TSP goes with you; you can either take a lump sum (and pay taxes unless you roll it over into an IRA) or a structured annuity at some age. When I retired from active duty, I went to the private sector, and lasted five years. I left when my responsibility became 99% "business development" (marketing) and 1% technical. Never regretted returning to DoD as a civilian, although the $$ is nowhere near as good, even as a GS-15. But I decided job satisfaction was more important than getting rich, and never regretted returning.

Your personnel shop should have retirement planning seminars you can attend.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Ron

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 03:21:45 AM »
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave...Oh wait, nevermind, that is Hotel California not the Fed Gov.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 07:54:16 AM »
The government left me.  Does that count?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.