Author Topic: TV show "COPS"  (Read 3227 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
TV show "COPS"
« on: December 14, 2014, 11:22:29 PM »
So, I'm at the gym tonight and the TV on the treadmill gets just one channel. COPS is on. A few minutes into the show, an officer is chasing a vehicle from a hit-and-run minor fender bender with a bus.

The driver pulls over, and the cop gets out of the squad, stands out in the street about even with the driver's car door, draws his gun, points it at the driver and tells him to get out of the car. The cop had called for backup, but didn't wait. I figured the driver was a major bad guy, but it turns out the hit-and-run was it. There were some apparently minor outstanding warrants found later. Doesn't drawing a gun on a driver from a fender bender seem a bit excessive?

Later in the show, a sheriffs deputy is called to a house by a woman afraid of a baby snake that made its way into her closet. The deputy takes everything out of the closet, checks it over, but can't find the snake. So he takes a claw hammer and removes the baseboards from the closet. Still no snake. He hammered out a two-foot hole in the drywall. It didn't sound like he had asked he woman for permission.

I know they're probably mugging it up for the cameras, but it doesn't leave a good impression.

Regolith

• friend
Re: TV show "COPS"
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 11:26:53 PM »
Later in the show, a sheriffs deputy is called to a house by a woman afraid of a baby snake that made its way into her closet. The deputy takes everything out of the closet, checks it over, but can't find the snake. So he takes a claw hammer and removes the baseboards from the closet. Still no snake. He hammered out a two-foot hole in the drywall. It didn't sound like he had asked he woman for permission.

Well, at least he didn't look for the snake with his gun...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 01:14:19 AM »
The second one sounds like something the producers might have set up, or at least egged on. If they promised me enough money, I'd let 'em go to town on the walls and baseboards. The first one, yeah, seems excessive.

It ticks me off that anybody's calling police over a baby snake, but on the other hand, at least those cops weren't out harassing people over made-up crimes.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 03:32:00 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 04:16:41 AM »
Had your blood pressure meds for the day?

http://kfor.com/2013/08/12/officers-record-cleared-after-deadly-shooting/

Yeah...saw that when I was looking for the link to the first story.  :facepalm:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 07:31:36 AM »
Cops on the show suffer from TV testosterone, trying to be bad asses.

They are too stupid to recognize that there is a recording of their excessive actions.

Sent from my iPhone
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 07:37:53 AM »
Cops on the show suffer from TV testosterone, trying to be bad asses.

They are too stupid to recognize that there is a recording of their excessive actions.

Sent from my iPhone

They are encourged to be excessive.  Without that there would be no show.

It's like professional wresteling - staged, fake, and stupid.  A first-year law student could get most arrestees cut loose at trial just on constitutional rights violations - if it weren't for the fact that so many of the arrestees insist on confessing to the Lindburgh kidnapping along with everything else.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 11:15:16 AM »
The first one, with the cop drawing and aiming his gun, just seemed wrong. He was not in the driver's blind spot. When the driver started to exit the vehicle, the cop didn't shout commands to him to keep his hands in sight. The way the driver exited the vehicle, he could have easily had a gun in his right hand. If the guy was bad enough for the cop to pull a gun, I would think it would warrant waiting for backup.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 11:43:47 AM »
The camera crews have an impact.  Here is an example from the TV Show "Wardens" which is COPS for game wardens.  An out of state hunter and his buddy were slow tagging his Elk, it was still on the ground and the two hunters were figuring out how they were going to recover it from the swamp it ran into.  A warden showed up with a TV crew in tow and felt the need to cite him and confiscate the animal.  They technically were in violation of the law, but a little common sense would have been nice. 

http://mtstandard.com/helena/news/local/elk-citation-angers-hunter-serves-as-warning-to-others/article_31820e58-3293-57cb-8e3d-925ba54b6a5b.html
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:04:09 PM by 41magsnub »

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 03:20:45 PM »
I can no longer watch COPS without borrowing some of the wifes blood pressure medication.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 03:55:52 PM »
I'm sure the majority of these shows are staged - COPS, Moonshiners, Storage Wars - and so forth and so on.

COPS in particular - I watched a few shows years ago, but quit in disgust when I saw REPEATED forced entries by NON-UNIFORMED officers made with no attempt to present a warrant.

Some scruffy dude in jeans and a dirty T-shirt yelling "POLICE! POLICE!" kicking in a door without any actual attempt to identify himself or present a warrant will - justifiably - draw fire most places. But on TV - it never does.

Fake. Staged. Rehearsed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 04:36:26 PM »
Wasn't a "COPS" cameraman shot and killed recently?
"It's good, though..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 04:38:32 PM »
The camera crews have an impact.  Here is an example from the TV Show "Wardens" which is COPS for game wardens.  An out of state hunter and his buddy were slow tagging his Elk, it was still on the ground and the two hunters were figuring out how they were going to recover it from the swamp it ran into.  A warden showed up with a TV crew in tow and felt the need to cite him and confiscate the animal.  They technically were in violation of the law, but a little common sense would have been nice. 

http://mtstandard.com/helena/news/local/elk-citation-angers-hunter-serves-as-warning-to-others/article_31820e58-3293-57cb-8e3d-925ba54b6a5b.html

I've heard things have improved a bit under the Governorship of Scott Walker, but all my interactions with the WI DNR in the past leads me to believe most DNR agents would act like that whether or not a TV crew was present.
I promise not to duck.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 05:10:25 PM »
Wasn't a "COPS" cameraman shot and killed recently?

Yes.  By the cops.

Go Google it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 05:49:41 PM »
Yes.  By the cops.

Go Google it.

stay safe.

It was a rhetorical question, in response to "Fake. Staged. Rehearsed."  It might be staged and rehearsed, but unfortunately it's not all fake.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 07:43:34 PM »
It was a rhetorical question, in response to "Fake. Staged. Rehearsed."  It might be staged and rehearsed, but unfortunately it's not all fake.
The accidents during movie filming that kill actors (Vic Morrow, Brandon Lee, and John-Eric Hexum come to mind) come from carelessness and/or stupidity, but the film is still fake.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 07:58:15 PM »
The driver pulls over, and the cop gets out of the squad, stands out in the street about even with the driver's car door, draws his gun, points it at the driver and tells him to get out of the car. The cop had called for backup, but didn't wait. I figured the driver was a major bad guy, but it turns out the hit-and-run was it. There were some apparently minor outstanding warrants found later. Doesn't drawing a gun on a driver from a fender bender seem a bit excessive?

You have somebody who just was involved in an accident, refused to stop, and refused to stop when the officer attempted to pull them over, but finally stopped (what I am reading from your description) That is not rational behavior.

Are they drunk? High? A criminal with warrants who thinks they've got nothing to lose by resisting? Are they going to attempt to kill the officer? What the hell are they going to do next? You'd damn well draw your gun and order the driver to get out, slowly in that case.

Lots of crazy people out there. Crazy people that have decided to shoot it out with the cops over a nothing traffic stop. Hell, I was on a SAR mission and the people we were looking for were *expletive deleted*ing idiots and were going to shoot it out with us using a shitty high point with two rounds because they thought the calls of "Fire Department! Search and Rescue! were "Sheriff's Department!". They were  not criminals, or in any kind of trouble, but they were nuts.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 08:01:10 PM »
I think I'm more amazed at the fact that so many of you have actually watched that show.

I don't think I've ever made it more than a minute past the opening credits...

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 08:06:34 PM »
Is this "Cops" a new show?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 08:09:47 PM »
You have somebody who just was involved in an accident, refused to stop, and refused to stop when the officer attempted to pull them over, but finally stopped (what I am reading from your description) That is not rational behavior.

I didn't see any part where the driver refused to stop. Perhaps it was earlier in the segment, but I just saw what looked like a normal speed traffic stop.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 08:11:27 PM »
I didn't see any part where the driver refused to stop. Perhaps it was earlier in the segment, but I just saw what looked like a normal speed traffic stop.

Then why did you say "chasing"?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 08:16:19 PM »
Is this "Cops" a new show?

no. It's been on since the 90's? maybe the 80's?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 08:18:54 PM »
Then why did you say "chasing"?
If you don't stop at an accident you are being chased when they pull you over

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 08:58:30 PM »
I thought hit-and-run was a felony, at least here.  Wouldn't that make it a felony stop?

Watched parts of that show once or twice.  Got disgusted. 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 09:20:52 PM »
Television has an off button.
Use it and become part of the solution.
7-11 was a part time job.