Author Topic: Puritan Advice  (Read 6528 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Puritan Advice
« on: April 28, 2009, 06:48:34 PM »
"Drink is in itself a good creature of God, and to be received with thankfulness."
----Increase Mather

That is all.

Oh, one more quote by Increase Mather:
"It were better that Ten Suspected Witches should escape, than that one Innocent Person should be Condemned."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: Puritan Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 07:27:48 PM »
So the Puritans really weren't uptight, tee-totaling, "hang 'em all" types after all?
Whoa.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 07:46:59 PM »
The term "puritan" has been appropriated in the last 100 years ago to indicate H. L. Mencken's vision of those people, "afraid that someone somewhere is having fun." Hawthorne got a few things right but he was separated by some years as well, and is not very historical.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:00:47 PM »
So the Puritans really weren't uptight, tee-totaling, "hang 'em all" types after all?
Whoa.

No, read The Light and the Glory by Peter Marshall & David Manuel.  He tells a story of a Quaker girl going into a Puritan Church service stark naked.  She walked up to the alter turned around and walked out, without a word.  Times was interesting.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:15:35 PM by scanr »
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 09:18:01 PM »
The early days saw Puritans go to Sunday meeting fully armed.  The preacher was armed as well.  Now here is the good part.  Quite often the preacher was paid for his service with whiskey.  Puritans were not what early American literature made them out to be.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 09:24:20 PM »
You mean the Puritans were Puritans, and not Fundamentalist Baptists?   :O

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 09:24:44 PM »
I'm not seeing any downsides to being a Puritan so far. Where'd the slander come from?
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 09:29:58 PM »
Well, it's not like they didn't prosecute "witches," or forbid various activities on Sundays, or conjoin church and state.

Free-love, Libertarian, ACLU members, they were not.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:41:14 PM »
Increase Mather worked hard to ameliorate the witch hunt courts and sought to exclude pretty much the only testimony that could convict the girls.  But, he also refused to condemn the trials.

Then, there was the mooshing of the church & state, at the local level.

My post was not an attempt to white-wash them, but to show that they were quite a bit more complex and three-dimensional than some propagandists would have you believe.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 09:44:33 PM »
I'm not seeing any downsides to being a Puritan so far. Where'd the slander come from?

No downside.  Unless you're a witch or another unacceptable religion like a Quaker or Amish, then you might not be fond of Puritans.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 09:54:46 PM »
No downside.  Unless you're a witch or another unacceptable religion like a Quaker or Amish, then you might not be fond of Puritans.

Yup.  A lot of the early colonies were segregated by religion.  Puritans up in Mass, Baptists in RI, Anglicans south in Virginia...

As for the Puritan intolerance of other religions, they were trying to build a City on a Hill.  And it damn near killed them all off in its purest form, when it was small & communal.  See, even folks with the vaunted Puritan Work EthicTM don't perform well in a communal/communist setting.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 10:04:20 PM »
The Puritans were not nice people in the modern sense. However we owe them credit for creating the social mechanisms that help hold up America, and by extension, most of modern civilization.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 10:53:46 PM »
Whoa.

Nope.

another unacceptable religion like a Quaker or Amish

The Puritans were not nice people in the modern sense.

Nobody was.

Times was different then.   Read up on the Muenster Rebellion .

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 07:40:40 AM »
Careful guy, some of the members of this forum are Quaker and Amish.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 02:43:17 PM »
Careful guy, some of the members of this forum are Quaker and Amish.

I was refering to being unacceptable to the Puritans, not to myself.   I'm very familiar with Quakers and Amish as they're everywhere around here.  Very decent folk.

I can assure you that when we pagans raise to power, we will not use our enormous political power to oppress the Quakers and Amish.  Just everyone else.  ;)
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 03:41:32 PM »
I'm not seeing any downsides to being a Puritan so far.

They wouldn't let you masterbate or have sex with whoever you wanted. They wouldn't let you drink alchohol. They made you pay taxes if you did not go to their church. That basically means no one on this board would have the freedom they want.

I can assure you that when we pagans raise to power, we will not use our enormous political power to oppress the Quakers and Amish.  Just everyone else.  ;)

What political power? You guys are a rare breed. Unless that was also part of your joke?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 03:46:26 PM »
They wouldn't let you masterbate or have sex with whoever you wanted. They wouldn't let you drink alchohol. They made you pay taxes if you did not go to their church. That basically means no one on this board would have the freedom they want.

Ummm, did you read the OP? Or do you just enjoy showcasing your ignorance and prejudice?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 03:54:18 PM »
Ummm, did you read the OP? Or do you just enjoy showcasing your ignorance and prejudice?

I am not ignorant, just a prejudiced, absent minded man.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 03:59:23 PM »
Children, please.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 04:00:16 PM »
I am not ignorant, just a prejudiced, absent minded man.

I just find it amusing to bash a group as teetotalers, when the OP was a quote praising alcohol.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 04:17:19 PM »
Also, they didn't "not let you masturbate", they said it was a sin and had moral consequences, which was a reasonable interpretation of Scripture in their understanding.

They didn't have "masturbation police" peering through windows and checking laundry hampers.

As for "not letting you have sex with whoever you like", all societies and cultures have some sort of regulation of sex through societal pressure or law as those societies and cultures all have to deal with issues involving the progeny that may result.  It is only recently that we've had reliable means to evade that consequence.

The Puritan solution wasn't any more strict than most and better than quite a few.

I can't defend religiously based taxes except to point out you didn't have to live in a Puritan-established town if you didn't want to pay the tax.  It's not like they forced you to live there against your will. (yes, I'm familiar with indentured servitude but there was an element of freedom within it by design if not always in practice)

I assume the people on this board would have been among the ones who left Puritan Massachusetts and founded Rhode Island (a more libertarian and gun-infested Rhode Island to be sure).
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 04:27:22 PM »
Here's a problem: Over 90% of human males masturbate. Absolutely, 100% of human males have a variety of sexual urges (some evil, most not). Arguing that acting out on those urges is a sin can be reasonable or unreasonable (depending on the nature of the demand). Arguing that HAVING these urges is a sin is going to cause giant, horrible problems.

If you try and teach male children that having any kind of sexual desires at age 14-18 is a sin (not actually acting on them, but HAVING them) and that masturbation is sinful, you're not going to end up with boys who don't masturbate, you're going to end up with boys who have guilt trips about it.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 04:41:18 PM »
Here's a problem: Over 90% of human males masturbate. Absolutely, 100% of human males have a variety of sexual urges (some evil, most not). Arguing that acting out on those urges is a sin can be reasonable or unreasonable (depending on the nature of the demand). Arguing that HAVING these urges is a sin is going to cause giant, horrible problems.

If you try and teach male children that having any kind of sexual desires at age 14-18 is a sin (not actually acting on them, but HAVING them) and that masturbation is sinful, you're not going to end up with boys who don't masturbate, you're going to end up with boys who have guilt trips about it.

Well done, you've successfully taken what I wrote, discarded it, created a new argument and then successfully argued against it.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 04:45:07 PM »
Well done, you've successfully taken what I wrote, discarded it, created a new argument and then successfully argued against it.

My point is that nobody argues that there were supposed mystical 'masturbation police'. All Freedom Lover did was point out the sexual ethic of the Puritans was unhealthily restrictive.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 04:48:29 PM »
Quote from: LadySmith

They would have been very suspicious of a cat lady who refused to marry.  ;)
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.