Author Topic: Draw bar pull of a truck.  (Read 6136 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Draw bar pull of a truck.
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 09:07:27 PM »
You don't need the math. That engine will put out enough "brute force" to rip up the frame and tow hitch, so save your slide rule.

You had a 2" strap that was rated at only 3200 pounds? My 2" strap is rated at 20,000 pounds, and the 3" x 30' straps I see in the 4x4 catalogs are typically rated 30,000 pounds. You're shopping in the wrong stores.
It was a 2" single ply lifting strap. So the 3200 lb capacity is the safe load limit.
It was not a cheap tow strap but one designed for lifting overhead with a crane or the like.
I'm not sure what the rated break strength is, I'll have to try and find out.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Draw bar pull of a truck.
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 10:21:09 PM »
It was a 2" single ply lifting strap. So the 3200 lb capacity is the safe load limit.
It was not a cheap tow strap but one designed for lifting overhead with a crane or the like.
I'm not sure what the rated break strength is, I'll have to try and find out.

Probably 3x -- or 10,000 pounds.

Sportsmans Guide recently sent me a specials catalog with surplus military 4" straps. Check 'em out. Although I have used my 2"/20,000 pound strap to unstick a tour bus, the FedEx delivery truck, and the UPS delivery truck. But I drive a Cherokee with a standard 2" hitch. So far I haven't mangled it, and I'd prefer not to start now.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design