Author Topic: Bacon on the hoof  (Read 4455 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Bacon on the hoof
« on: August 01, 2015, 10:01:45 PM »
After a two year hiatus I once again have bacon seedlings in my pen.
These two should be ready to go to piggy heaven about the 1st week of December.

Meat Hamlet and Cutlet.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: Bacon on the hoof
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 10:03:24 PM »
Nice. You do your own slaughtering & butchering?

“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 10:18:58 PM »
While I could do an "acceptable" (barely, maybe) job of it, I take them to a small, local, family owned and ran, custom slaughter operation. They have all the fancy equipment to do things like make the sausage and slice the bacon and ham and they vacuum pack the meat.
I went to school with the guy running it now and I worked for his dad part time when I was in school. I know what I'll get back from them is done right.

I just don't have the set up to deal with the offal and mess of doing it myself, A deer is a different matter and sometimes I process them myself and sometimes I take them in and have it done.

This was from one of the last batches I raised, that is 1# of bacon in a big sheet pan.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:34:48 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 01:21:11 AM »
How big do they usually get by the time you slaughter them?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 05:32:33 AM »
While I could do an "acceptable" (barely, maybe) job of it, I take them to a small, local, family owned and ran, custom slaughter operation. They have all the fancy equipment to do things like make the sausage and slice the bacon and ham and they vacuum pack the meat.
I went to school with the guy running it now and I worked for his dad part time when I was in school. I know what I'll get back from them is done right.

I just don't have the set up to deal with the offal and mess of doing it myself, A deer is a different matter and sometimes I process them myself and sometimes I take them in and have it done.

This was from one of the last batches I raised, that is 1# of bacon in a big sheet pan.

That looks tasty.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 06:49:50 AM »
Cute names.  

I was always evilly amused by Shari Lewis naming her sock puppet "Lamb Chop."  But that's just me.  I imagined the little critter magic-marker-labeled with "rack," "chops," "leg of.." and the like.

http://www.heggiesofhereford.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/a/lamb-cutout_1_1.jpg

>:D Terry

REF:
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/d8/d3/14/d8d3144946b7494e445169f8d945a14c.jpg

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:07:05 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 10:16:56 AM »
That's some pig.

;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 11:08:45 AM »
Can't speak for RKL, but the ones we slaughter weigh in around 100-110 kilograms IIRC. Sows are heavier of course, around 250-300 kilograms, and some old boars are even bigger. Had a boar this Friday that I'm sure was  close to half a ton. Biggest pig I've seen. Damned thing got stuck everywhere because we're not really set up to slaughter sows/boars. Thankfully it stayed hung up, because dragging that bastard back to winch it up and re-hang it would've been an absolute pain in the ass.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 05:06:57 PM »

I have a target weight of about 250# on the hoof but usually end up over shooting a bit.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 02:02:16 PM »
Cute names. 

At least he didn't go with Napoleon and Snowball.  Then he'd have to worry about insurrection.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 09:38:41 PM »
I always name my meat animals and encourage the grandkids to play with them. I think everyone should have the opportunity to scratch their bacon between the ears.

At least he didn't go with Napoleon and Snowball.  Then he'd have to worry about insurrection.

With pigs, insurrection is easily quelled with a ride to the slaughter house.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 09:49:36 PM »
Can't speak for RKL, but the ones we slaughter weigh in around 100-110 kilograms IIRC. Sows are heavier of course, around 250-300 kilograms, and some old boars are even bigger.

Next question: what is a kilogram?  =)

And do swine have hooves or trotters?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 09:52:29 PM »
About what a quart plus a little of water weighs.

Hooves while they're walkin' around, trotters when they're hanging.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 10:58:49 PM »
How do you weigh them before the slaughter?  Seriously.

I have a habit of asking dumb questions which usually have interesting answers.

Terry

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 11:14:19 PM »

Next question: what is a kilogram?  =)

1,000,000,000.000555 Kilograms  = a 1-megaton pig.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 11:18:14 PM »
Measure( inches) behind the front legs over approximately the heart for "Heart Girth" measure from the base of the ears to the base of the tail
HG x HG X E to T length / 400 = pounds.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 12:08:01 AM »
Easy way is to use a balance scale built for weighing large animals. The slaughter house I use has their's as part of the unloading ramp. Unload.the animal and weigh it.
All that measuring is well and good if the animal is willing to stand for it, then you'd have have to do all that math stuff.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 01:32:45 AM »
Well, I'll be darned !  Now, that was interesting.

Makes sense that HG be squared... somehow I'm reminded of some calculations for body weight versus surface area... for thermodynamic reasons.  Little critters freeze faster than bigger critters.  

Looks like a function of heart "area" X length (sorta like a cylindrical "volume") X a conversion factor, in this case X 1/400.

Thanks, both.  Doesn't seem to work for me, though... (42 X 42 X 30) ÷ 400 = 132.3 lbs.

Either I'm not a pig (some would debate that), I've got to eat a lot less, my arithmetic is wrong, or the conversion factor should be about 240 for humans.  Or Terrys, anyhow.

:rofl:

Terry
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:19:44 AM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 02:10:47 AM »
You probably didn't measure to the base of your tail.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 07:54:25 AM »
I always name my meat animals and encourage the grandkids to play with them. I think everyone should have the opportunity to scratch their bacon between the ears.

When I was stationed in Korea had a couple of friends that were married and lived in the local village.  Used to ask the kids in the "neighborhood" when I saw them playing with their dogs, "Didn't your parents tell you not to play with your food?"
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 08:28:28 AM »
^ roffle.

^^ Well, re-cypherin' it, using 200 lb as a known* and ear-to-tail (ET) as an unknown distance, ET would have to be 45", or almost to the back of my knees for human (or at least Terry's) measurements.  Clearly excessive for a "back of ears to base of tail" number:

(HG X HG X unknown ET) / 400 = 200lbs (known)

unknown ET = (200 X 400) / 42^2

unknown ET = 45.35" or 3.78 feet for back-of-ears to base-of-tail

(Of course, this all is just estimation, but used precise numbers just to check my 'rithmetic.)

I was wondering, is there an animal husbandry-type table of these formulae for different critters?

Seems to me there should be a sort of "standardized" table for this method of estimating animal weight with different correction factors for different 4-legged animals, e.g.:

Pigs = 400
Cows = ?
Buffalo = ?
Elephants= ?
Terrys = 240
Humans = ?

Just a curious transplanted city boy who played farmer for 11 years, raising geese, horses, ducks, chickens, alfalfa hay, prairie dogs (for a short while) --where in all of which, "market weight" was not important.

Terry

* For me, but perzackly 192 lb if anyone's interested.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:00:11 AM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 08:58:10 AM »

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 09:05:40 AM »
^ Aha!  That clears that up !

You've got the basic idea now so I'll let you see if you can work out a formula for "long pig"

I did already, see Replies 17 and 20.  Factor = 240 for Terrys if using the pig measurements.

Thanks all, BTW. :D

Me go now.

Terry

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 11:43:56 AM »
^ Aha!  That clears that up !

I did already, see Replies 17 and 20.  Factor = 240 for Terrys if using the pig measurements.

Thanks all, BTW. :D

Me go now.

Terry

It appears that you may have a slightly smaller girth to length ratio than pigs, which may be what is throwing off your calculations.  Goats may be more similar (except for length).

All kidding aside, why all the concern about figuring out weight on the hoof (or even dressed weight)?  Pick out the fattest, slowest urban evacuee and hope for enough bacon.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 01:39:33 PM »
It appears that you may have a slightly smaller girth to length ratio than pigs, which may be what is throwing off your calculations.  Goats may be more similar (except for length).

Of course.  That's why I figured out the "factor" for all species of Terry using base of skull (sort of the "back of ears") to coccix times chest measurement squared.  (See Reply # 20.) Equals 240 for Terrys.  Makes me wonder if anyone else has figured that factor for their own bodies.

All kidding aside, why all the concern about figuring out weight on the hoof (or even dressed weight)?  Pick out the fattest, slowest urban evacuee and hope for enough bacon.

"urban evacuee" = grin.

But it's obviously practical in animal husbandry, since someone went to the trouble of figuring it out for beef cattle, goats, pigs, etc. with variations of where best to measure them --see Reply #21.

It's probably very useful to professional growers in terms of readiness for market or slaughter on the growth curve.  Obviously it's uneconomical to keep feeding a critter after it has asymptoted to its peak growth.  But I wonder if it isn't just as easy to wrestle them onto a scale (if you have one) as it is to  wrap a tape measure around their chests.  Some of them may be ticklish, after all. :)

Terry