Author Topic: Most mass killers are not mentally ill  (Read 748 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Most mass killers are not mentally ill
« on: November 11, 2017, 03:40:34 PM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/are-mass-killers-mentally-ill-usually-not-researchers-say/

Some of them are psychotic or schizophrenic, but most of them just seem to be pissed off.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Most mass killers are not mentally ill
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 04:24:03 PM »
Not counting Muslim terrorism when was the last time there was a mass shooting (whether school, mall, church, etc) that did not involve a dude (can't recall any done by women) on SSRI's or other drugs known to result in violent outbursts? 
Formerly sumpnz

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 05:48:17 PM »
isn't a mass shooter mentally ill by definition?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 06:14:26 PM »
*snort* They just want to try and make Trump sound stupid for saying that there is a mental health component.

First of all, anyone can have a psychotic break, which could be triggered by anything from a minor incident to a major trauma. Not having a significant, diagnoseable psychological disease isn't a prerequisite.

Just because someone doesn't suffer from delusions or major and obvious mental illness, it doesn't mean they are mentally healthy or stable.

If anything, I'm guessing most of these aholes suffer from depression and have a narcissistic worldview.

Yes, it's a *expletive deleted*ing mental health problem. Just because it's not a mental health problem that excuses their behavior doesn't make it not one.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 08:03:29 PM »

I posted this to the FB group yesterday.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3a21wiRtTs

tl;dr version: three out of the four people they did this experiment on (spoiler: the guy followed through most of the show was the one who didn't go through with the murder itself) were socially pressured into (they fully believed until a few seconds after pushing him off a roof) covering up a death, including hiding the corpse, then murdering a near stranger.  No hypnosis involved; just peer pressure.  Now granted, this was a) a single victim and b) intentional on the part of the people doing the pressuring, it's not a huge step from there to misinterpreted social pressure (or other motives) and multiple victims.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:39:11 PM by KD5NRH »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 10:08:13 PM »

It depends on whose definition, I suppose. I agree with you; anyone whose notion of how to make things right includes killing other people (and/or himself) is mentally ill.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 11:58:53 PM »
I believe that many of these killers are not so much mentally ill as they are simply evil. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 12:09:14 AM »
I believe that many of these killers are not so much mentally ill as they are simply evil. 

I think for some of us, it's the same difference.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 12:26:41 AM »

They are both. Which leads to the question: which is the cause, and which is the effect?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 12:30:02 AM »

And if that evil is only brought forward by SSRI's or other anti-depressant/anxiety medications?
Formerly sumpnz