Author Topic: UFO sightings in Texas  (Read 9881 times)

crt360

• friend
UFO sightings in Texas
« on: January 15, 2008, 07:30:41 AM »
Stephenville residents report UFO sightings - Pilot and elected official among those who have seen strange object

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Tuesday, January 15, 2008

STEPHENVILLE  In the farming community of Stephenville, where nightfall usually brings clear, starry skies, residents are abuzz over reported sightings of what many think is a UFO.

Several dozen people in the town southwest of Fort Worth  including a pilot, county constable and business owners  insist that they have seen a large silent object with bright lights flying low and fast. Some reported seeing fighter jets chasing it.

"People wonder what in the world it is because this is the Bible Belt, and everyone is afraid it's the end of times," said Steve Allen, a freight company owner and pilot who said the object he saw last week was a mile long and half a mile wide. "It was positively, absolutely nothing from these parts."

Though federal officials insist that there's a logical explanation, locals swear that it was larger, quieter, faster and lower to the ground than an airplane.

They also said the object's lights changed configuration, unlike those of a plane.

People in several towns who reported seeing the object over several weeks have offered similar descriptions of it.

Ricky Sorrells said friends made fun of him when he told them that he saw a flat, metallic object hovering about 300 feet over a pasture behind his Dublin home. But he decided to come forward after reading similar accounts in the Stephenville Empire-Tribune.

"It feels good to hear that other people saw something because that means I'm not crazy," Sorrells said."

Sorrells said he has seen the object several times. He said he watched it through his rifle's telescopic lens and described it as very large and without seams, nuts or bolts.

Maj. Karl Lewis, a spokesman for the 301st Fighter Wing at the Joint Reserve Base Naval Air Station in Fort Worth, said no aircraft from his base were in the area Jan. 8, when many sightings were reported.

Lewis said the object might have been an illusion caused by two commercial airplanes. Lights from the aircraft would seem unusually bright and might appear orange because of the setting sun.

Fourteen percent of Americans polled last year by The Associated Press and Ipsos said they had seen a UFO.

Erath County Constable Lee Roy Gaitan, who said he isn't sure about the existence of UFOs, said that one night last week, he saw red glowing lights and then white flashing lights moving rapidly across the sky.

"I didn't see a flying saucer, and I don't know what it was. But it wasn't an airplane, and I've never seen anything like it," Gaitan said. "I think it must be some kind of military craft  at least, I hope it was."

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/01/15/0115ufo.html
For entertainment purposes only.

Paddy

Re: UFO sightings in Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 07:51:08 AM »
Wasn't Kucinich the subject of derision awhile back for his UFO sighting?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 08:15:13 AM »
I have heard the stealth bomber is pretty quiet, but I doubt anyone would not recognize it during daylight. 

I guess if they don't know what it is, by definition, it is a UFO.  Doesn't mean they believe in little green men. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 08:15:20 AM »
I find it amazing that, in an age when there's a video camera or cellphone camera or digital camera within feet of most people, when people manage to capture YouTube video of their friends getting drunk and falling over a fence...

...nobody ever, EVER gets a good video or photo of a "UFO". Nothing beyond grainy footage that looks like it was taken with a broken 1986 VHS camera with a bad magnetic head.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 08:23:23 AM »
"People wonder what in the world it is because this is the Bible Belt, and everyone is afraid it's the end of times," said Steve Allen
Does anyone else find this to be just a little bit, uh,,,troubling?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 08:26:36 AM »
"People wonder what in the world it is because this is the Bible Belt, and everyone is afraid it's the end of times," said Steve Allen

Not really. People like that have been around forever. The first smoke-belching trains were a harbinger of the end of times. The moving pictures of women with bared ankles showed it was the end of times. The cow having a deformed calf meant it was the end of times. Etc, etc...

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 08:54:10 AM »
Erath County Constable Lee Roy Gaitan, who said he isn't sure about the existence of UFOs, said that one night last week, he saw red glowing lights and then white flashing lights moving rapidly across the sky.

"I didn't see a flying saucer, and I don't know what it was. But it wasn't an airplane, and I've never seen anything like it," Gaitan said. "I think it must be some kind of military craft — at least, I hope it was."

Wow, ending the story with a statement that is non-presumptive, reasonably speculative, and at least moderately well informed.  Are you sure a real newsie wrote this article?  Maybe the reporter is a space alien...

Not really. People like that have been around forever. The first smoke-belching trains were a harbinger of the end of times. The moving pictures of women with bared ankles showed it was the end of times. The cow having a deformed calf meant it was the end of times. Etc, etc...

That's been a constant throughout recorded history (and, presumably, the entire history of modern man).  There has always been a group of people in every culture and country who firmly believe that Armaggeddon, or their cultural equivalent, is only moments away.

The first organization that comes to mind are the End-Timers.
www.etm.org

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Chuck Dye

One more time:
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 09:18:10 AM »
UFO ≠ Extraterrestrial

(and why can't I find a working ascii code for a "not equal" sign?)

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 09:25:58 AM »
I find it amazing that, in an age when there's a video camera or cellphone camera or digital camera within feet of most people, when people manage to capture YouTube video of their friends getting drunk and falling over a fence...

Precisely what I thought the minute I saw the article.

It must have been a real low-flying object because different people saw it at different angles - the hunter from directly under and the bearded git at 70deg from the horizon. But, as somebody else pointed out, UFO does not necessarily mean extraterrestrial.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 09:49:30 AM »
You lost me, how come?
One day at a time.

Chuck Dye

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 09:54:12 AM »
Look up at a celestial object, the apparent position will be roughly the same for observers over a very wide area.  Look at an aircraft due north of your position and observers only a few miles away may report it as being due south, or east or ? ? ? ?.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 10:05:03 AM »
You lost me, how come?

UFO = Unidentified Flying Object

Just because you can't tell what it is doesn't make it from another planet, it just makes it unidentified.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 10:06:10 AM »
Wow.

Thanks Brad.

That was probably the dumbest question I've ever asked....I'm so embarrassed.....
One day at a time.

Chuck Dye

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 10:24:41 AM »
And I answered a question not asked...grrrrrr!

SATC

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 10:26:12 AM »

I agree those people have been around forever, but they are normally a very small group.  The quote acts like all Christians in the Bible Belt will be talking about the end times.  I know the Bible mentions some things in reference to end times, but I have never heard of UFO's being one of them.  That is funny.  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 12:11:57 PM »
They did say "everyone"...  cheesy

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 12:12:51 PM »
I'd lay a couple hundred bucks on the USAF or DoD, DARPA, somebody having a "stealth blimp" or dirigible, maybe since the '80s when the F117 was still under wraps. And that it explains at least most of the "slow black silent triangle" UFO's.

We've been interested in long-loiter surveillance capabilities, and to fill an intermediate trade-off niche with the ability to move troops and equipment faster than ships, but with more capacity than aircraft with VTOL/STOL capability for unimproved landing fields for a long time.  I think politically, maybe since France denied our F117's overflight to bomb Lybia we've been thinking hard about areas of the Earth that don't have easy access through international waters, or are landlocked by hostile or neutral third-party states.

And since a blimp or dirigible is a very big, slow, and very soft target, it makes sense to paint it black, stealth it, and use it at night only.

Looking forward, I could also see such a thing having utility as a carrier platform for cruise missiles, UAV's, or even UCAV's, extending their range, and giving them loiter capability. If the airship itself is unmanned as well, and has an operational ceiling high enough to allow it to hide in daylight, and is fuel efficient enough, one with cruise missiles or UCAV's could loiter in international airspace outside a potential enemy nation indefinitely.

I'd lay a smaller bet on such an airship having an ionic airmoving system with no moving parts for silent running, and more traditional ducted fans for lower risk flying.

I promise not to duck.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 12:38:47 PM »
Or it was a weather balloon...  undecided

Regolith

• friend
Re: One more time:
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 01:20:33 PM »
(and why can't I find a working ascii code for a "not equal" sign?)

Just use != instead.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 02:05:15 PM »
It couldn't have been a stealth aircraft because in that case no one would have seen it  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
The wife and I saw that yesterday. Couldn't figure out for the life us what it was. I determined it must be a blimp with a strange light banner on it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 02:28:50 PM »
"Stealth" craft is designed with coatings and surfaces to absorb and/or deflect radiowaves. They are not "invisible" in the visible spectrum. So, pilots and ground observers can see them just fine even if the radar tower says there is nothing there.

Ex-ma, the method is called "parallax". It is used for positioning as well as measuring distances. In astronomy, the half-yearly parallax from the Earth vantage point was historically used to determine distances to the nearest stars. Incidentally, the usual problem with footage evidence of flying objects is exactly for parallax reasons - if you do not know how big it is, you cannot know how far it is and vice versa. The solution is to have multiple cameras well-spaced. Then triangulation determines distance and distance determines size.

AJ, magneto-hydro-dynamic propulsion would require very large currents to create a magnetic field strong to produce any meaningful thrust. The fundamental problems are heat dissipation and the small value of the magnetic permeability constant. Even if you avoid the resistive heat generation by superconductors, you then have to cool them to liquid nitrogen temperatures. That would require a lot of mass and power. Even if all of that works, you still have to generate the power in some way, and normal diesel or gas generators will not be silent at all. Of course you can go with a nuclear power plant on board, but then the mass and therefore blimp size will just get silly. Finally, even if all of that works, to propel such a heavy beast at meaningful speeds you will have to move a lot of air, because of its low density; that will probably be only a bit less quiet than a jet engine. For all these reasons, NASA is playing with ion engines only for extremely small craft.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 02:47:25 PM »
AJ, magneto-hydro-dynamic propulsion would require very large currents to create a magnetic field strong to produce any meaningful thrust.

No, you're over thinking it. It's ionic. Think those internet vids of a tin-foil triangle with field wires held up on balsa sticks and a HV power supply. (I'm looking, I know they're out there...) Lots of voltage, but not lots of current. The same reason air blows out of that Sharper Image ionic air cleaner even though there's no moving parts.

It's been a known effect since at least the 1950's, it's not at all practical for a heavier than air craft, a couple billion of black budget money it might work well for an airship during calm weather.

(edit) here they are... http://youtube.com/results?search_query=ionic+lifter&search=Search

Ignore the tinfoil hat types who want to believe it's a field effect. The high voltage just carries air with it and creates thrust.
I promise not to duck.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 02:50:57 PM »
{scientists back at the lab] "Damn, not quite stealthy enough yet!"  cheesy

grampster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 02:56:04 PM »
Look!  Up in the sky!  It's a bird.  It's a plane.  It's Supermannnnnnn....
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw