Author Topic: UFO sightings in Texas  (Read 9879 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: UFO sightings in Texas
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 03:00:42 PM »
"People wonder what in the world it is because this is the Bible Belt, and everyone is afraid it's the end of times," said Steve Allen
Does anyone else find this to be just a little bit, uh,,,troubling?

Not in the slightest.

For an hour skirting at the edge of the deep end, along that line, see this.

Itching ears eavesdropping on war in heaven.  I don't see much profit  in it, spiritually speaking, myself.

--deleted gratuitous dig at dispensationalist premillenial chiliasts--

(and why can't I find a working ascii code for a "not equal" sign?)

=/=

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Chuck Dye

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 03:26:35 PM »
I managed ≠ by finding a post in another forum where someone successfully used ≠, the ASCII code for "not equal,"  copying and pasting.  Some codes work here, some do not, hence my complaint about a "working" code.  Of course now that I have called attention to myself, both & #8800 ;, without the spaces, and alt+8800 have given me ≠, tho' not every time I have tried them.  Grrrrrr!

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
I've had luck using Word to write the character I want and then copy and past into the post. ε ?δ
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 06:04:41 PM »
How can you talk about ASCII at a time like this?  The end of times [sic] is upon us!!    shocked
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Chuck Dye

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 06:10:19 PM »
Big deal!  Newspapers are failing all the time.  And shouldn't you have capitalized the T?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2008, 06:59:45 PM »
So it is big, strange, and low-flying yet no one in Texas has shot it and mounted it on their wall? I find that a little dubious.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 07:07:16 PM »
So it is big, strange, and low-flying yet no one in Texas has shot it and mounted it on their wall? I find that a little dubious.

Good point, French, now that you mention it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 07:38:13 PM »

My money would be on DoD/Darpa project.  UAV or Blimp like aircraft. 

Or mil folks getting bored and messing with the locals.  Did plenty of that back in the day.  Getting some friends together, tossing on old MOPP gear, and 'detaining' a buddy in civvies in public.  Course, it was usually even more entertaining if you don't tell your buddy beforehand.  Hovering over random places in "black" helicopters (really just a dark green) can cause amusement too.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 10:24:07 PM »
Allen drew a sketch of the object, which he said traveled at amazing speed without making a sound. While drawing, Allen told Von Fremd that he saw "an arch shape converted in a vertical shape, and then it split and made two of them, and then these turned into just fire and it was gone." 
( from http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4142232&page=1)

I definitely need a blimp like that!

Seriously, I have an open mind to just about any off-the-wall possibility.  Maybe it was a top-secret government stealth blimp or perhaps it was a planetary surveyor belonging to a galactic star cruiser from the planet Xecton.  Regardless, I'm not quite pretentious enough to decide for certain either way (being that I'm a little more than a smidgeon from being omniscient).

I'm sure there was quite a debate in the 16th century whether Copernicus was possessed by demons or if perhaps there really was something to this "heliocentric universe" idea.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 03:47:40 AM »
Demons.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 03:49:43 AM »
Look up the news story from a few months back of the guy flying a remote silvery (small) blimp around Salt Lake City. People swore it was "a mile long".

Perspective, or lack thereof against any other object, can fool people and make them think they saw something other than what was there.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 03:59:18 AM »

Stephenville is full of city folk....kinda like Dallas Lite.........

Now, most space aliens know not to fly over small, rural towns. It's an intergalactic fact that a .30-06 can take down most spaceships smaller than a Death Star......  cool
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 04:04:06 AM »
There's probably warnings about rural Texas in all the intergalactic travel guides...  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 04:08:45 AM »
There's probably warnings about rural Texas in all the intergalactic travel guides...  laugh

Bah! Our entire planet's entry is: "mostly harmless".  laugh

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 08:46:26 AM »
It was definitely an alien craft - probably Coyotes bringing in another load of "guest workers"

undecided
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2008, 09:46:14 AM »
I once saw a UFO . . . it was high in the sky after dark, blinking, and not moving. It was stationary like the unblinking stars all around it, but it kept flashing. And it just - didn't - move. Hmmmm . . . .

A little bit of thought, and guesstimation of how high in the sky it was, led me to conclude it was a geostationary satellite. VERY unusual to see one, considering how much higher they are than the shuttle or ISS . . . but less unusual than a spacecraft full of ETs.

(Once I figured out what it was, it was no longer a UFO, but an IFO.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

crt360

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2008, 10:01:32 AM »

Stephenville is full of city folk....kinda like Dallas Lite.........

Now, most space aliens know not to fly over small, rural towns. It's an intergalactic fact that a .30-06 can take down most spaceships smaller than a Death Star......  cool

I'd bet more than a few were contemplating it.

Sorrells said he has seen the object several times. He said he watched it through his rifle's telescopic lens and described it as very large and without seams, nuts or bolts.
For entertainment purposes only.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2008, 06:13:33 PM »
Or it was a weather balloon...

Or swamp gas.  rolleyes
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2008, 06:35:51 PM »

Or swamp gas.  rolleyes

It was a weather balloon filled with swamp gas.  They're the worst kind, dontcha know?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2008, 03:09:01 AM »

Or swamp gas.  rolleyes

It was a weather balloon filled with swamp gas.  They're the worst kind, dontcha know?

Right behind politicians......their gas is the worst....  angry
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.