Author Topic: Falling skies  (Read 9421 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Falling skies
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 05:34:01 PM »
Well, I don't like it anywhere near as much as "the walking dead," but I'll probably still watch it.  

The alien invasion thing has been done so much that I don't know if they will be able to figure out a new and surprising take on it.  The only movie I have seen recently that did anything new and different with the theme was "District 9," which I thought was very entertaining.

Speaking of which, does anyone know when in sweet baby chutulu's name the walking dead will be back out?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 05:37:38 PM »
Halloween is what I heard.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »
I also heard Halloween for Walking Dead.

I agree with Hank that the"post apocalypse outlaw leader" should have gotten a bullet to the brain pan.  I'm sure they have a twist lined up there, but sometimes I like a simple solution. I'm also hoping they don't go overboard on family / kid plots. It seems like a show that cries out for action.

I'm not completely sold from just the pilot, but will definitely watch some more episodes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 07:09:38 PM »
I'm disturbed by the "fighters vs. eaters" subtext. I don't need to see Will Patton reprising his role from The Postman and a major inter-human squabble or dictator wannabe sideline in the face of the main plot would be stupid.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 07:41:45 PM »
I'm disturbed by the "fighters vs. eaters" subtext. I don't need to see Will Patton reprising his role from The Postman and a major inter-human squabble or dictator wannabe sideline in the face of the main plot would be stupid.

No wonder he reminded me of the jerk in the Postman...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 02:52:10 PM »
No wonder he reminded me of the jerk in the Postman...
No wonder this is the first decent role that he has had since then, and he is still the same.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 03:03:28 PM »

Which was the reason the General put NW as the second in command.  Anyone else get the veiled threat when he told him to do the right thing?  I took it to mean even if he had to frag the leader over the civilians.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 10:24:20 AM »
Firstly, spoiler alert.

====================================

Good first episode.  Reminded me a bit of the scene from Independance Day, except Noah Wiley's character is building a slow quiet confidence in his ability to kick alien ass, where Will Smith was just obnoxious.  I loved the looks he got from the other refugees, that was classic. 
Only thing bugging me is that they are on it real quick.  They're going to have to have some major setbacks to keep the plot going more than a season. Of course, at the rate some other cable series go, one season a year might be all we get.
Anyways, good *expletive deleted*it this. 
JD

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 07:32:33 AM »
Color me surprised.  Despite being in the "let's kill off the series" Sunday 10:00 PM slot, TNT has renewed "Falling Skies" for a ten episode second season.
Supposedly, it's been a "...phenomenal success when it comes to international and time-shifted viewing”.  Interesting that TNT took that view.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 08:30:52 AM »
I haven't missed an episode, but I also don't watch it during the Sunday 10pm slot (about to fall asleep by then).

I like it, though I'd like more back-story about the invasion.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 10:21:39 AM »
the birthday cake molding in the perfect condition, seven month dusty, suburban home kinda points to a mass disappearance of the human population
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 11:53:05 AM »
It needs to pick up speed.

And have less kids in it.

With 90% human casualties at this point, I agree with Patton's character.  There's no room for "eaters."  The weepy crap at the memorial bulletin board in the school needs to end RFN.  Every single character, including the fighters, have lost nearly everyone and everything in their lives.  Time for the "eaters" to man up (or woman up) and learn to fight, or work in a supporting role to help the fighters.  As it is right now, the fighters have three jobs:  scavenge supplies for the eaters, defend the eaters, and figure out a means to fight an offensive war to win the planet back.

Eaters suck.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 12:13:36 PM »

This is one of the major problem I have w/ the show.  For once I'd like to see people pull together in a post apocalyptic situation.  On TV they never do.  Granted the people on the show are yankees but even I would give them the benefit of the doubt.  =D

P5 Guy

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 01:52:26 PM »
So, what is the plot twist that will make us want to watch next season?

I'm thinking the Skitters empathic connection to the children leads to something. I have to ask why the Mechs are bipedal, but the Skitters are multi-legged, almost like octopi.
 [popcorn]

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2011, 02:01:05 PM »
Can't be, if it's based in and around Boston.  Sure the folks in Taxachusetts are allowed to have some guns, but no explosion-type stuff and spaceships are reserved for the ruling class only.

I will look for rerun times and see if I can suspend disbellief about the Boston locale.

stay safe.

Must be the Southies.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2011, 02:45:58 PM »
It needs to pick up speed.

And have less kids in it.

With 90% human casualties at this point, I agree with Patton's character.  There's no room for "eaters."  The weepy crap at the memorial bulletin board in the school needs to end RFN.  Every single character, including the fighters, have lost nearly everyone and everything in their lives.  Time for the "eaters" to man up (or woman up) and learn to fight, or work in a supporting role to help the fighters.  As it is right now, the fighters have three jobs:  scavenge supplies for the eaters, defend the eaters, and figure out a means to fight an offensive war to win the planet back.

Eaters suck.

Not if they're pregnant, or rearing small children. Of course, they can still do certain logistic functions, as can small children who are old enough to walk and follow directions, however any reasonable expectation is that gestation and care will occupy most all of their time.

Thinking long term, you've got to outbreed, or at least maintain replacement levels for your own side. There's no guarantee there'll be sufficient women of fertile age left if you wait for the fighting to be over.
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2011, 02:54:08 PM »
Not if they're pregnant, or rearing small children. Of course, they can still do certain logistic functions, as can small children who are old enough to walk and follow directions, however any reasonable expectation is that gestation and care will occupy most all of their time.

Thinking long term, you've got to outbreed, or at least maintain replacement levels for your own side. There's no guarantee there'll be sufficient women of fertile age left if you wait for the fighting to be over.

Agreed.  Breeding, child care, cooking, scavenging.  Heavy science/electronics/mathematics education for youth, biology/chemistry/physics/war tactics for juveniles.

Seems more appropriate for the current "eaters" to be doing the scavenging and base camp maintenance, and at least minimally conversant with arms and techniques to perform basic sentry/OP/LP/perimeter duties, leaving the "fighters" to perform enemy recon, hostage rescue and guerilla tactics.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2011, 03:35:38 PM »
There shouldn't be any "eaters".  Everyone should be pulling their weight one way or another.  What's left of humanity should be pulling together.  They're not even able to grow food much less mine for resources to create electronics and weapons.  Scavenging is only going to go for so long.  Something big will have to change or they just won't have a show. 

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2011, 10:50:45 PM »
the skitters have a quota of human children to acquire

there is an upper class of invaders
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2011, 08:44:04 AM »
There shouldn't be any "eaters".  Everyone should be pulling their weight one way or another.  What's left of humanity should be pulling together.  They're not even able to grow food much less mine for resources to create electronics and weapons.  Scavenging is only going to go for so long.  Something big will have to change or they just won't have a show. 

I've started watching the first few shows on my DVR....seems like the "eaters" are doing important work like logistics, medical, and getting the next generation educated for the fight. And, unless the CO wants to start losing "fighters" to malnutrition and lack of medical care, he'd better get on board with the program.

It's a decent show.....but not a great show. It takes the better parts of the old "V" series and nu-BSG....but it doesn't have any likeable or stand-out characters. Plus the "military tactics" are pretty weak. I'd like to see more info on what the other units are doing against the aliens.

And I agree with slugcatcher.....unless they find ways to start producing their own food and weapons, they're done. I wonder if the skitters are edible......  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.