Author Topic: negotiating tips for lowering debt?  (Read 7321 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
negotiating tips for lowering debt?
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:05:14 AM »
i have a friend who needed a loan after his divorce 5 years ago.  he obtained a personal line of credit from citi (who has since been bought by beneficial) for the 15k ( at over 20% interest, ouch!) that he needed to satisfy the terms of his divorce.  he has made regular payments of around $300 per month for the past 5 years and still has a balance of nearly the original principal.  at this time he has the ability to get a lower interest loan to pay it off, but he would like to negotiate the balance before doing so, if possible.

what is a proven negotiating tactic for helping them to accept a lower amount?  i told him he would have little leverage if the bill were current, as they don't see him as a default risk.  should he not pay for a couple of months, and then try to talk with them?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MechAg94

• friend
Re: negotiating tips for lowering debt?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:02:30 PM »
Sounds to me like the first and most important thing to do is get rid of that 20+% interest rate.  That is costing him money daily.  What does he expect to gain from negotiating on the balance compared to that? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 12:11:04 PM »
Trying to play shenanigans with the bank over his debt will just end up hurting him. His best bet is just to get a lower interest loan.
Look, tiny text!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 12:32:58 PM »
"should he not pay for a couple of months, and then try to talk with them?"

Only if he wants to hose his credit rating and make it hard to get a loan to replace the loan he's got...

I've heard of countproductive strategies, but that one is about as counterproductive as one can get.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 01:27:41 PM »
he can try calling AND writing and telling them that before he takes his note elsewhere do they want to negotiate to keep him. write after the call to someone higher in the food chain.  and give em 10 days 2 weeks to get back to you . he can start looking for new loan while he waits.  bigger companies are smart enough to keep you
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 01:52:04 PM »
Another possiblity is a low intro rate on a credit card balance transfer.  Some will offer rates as low as 0% for a year.  It's pretty easy to knock down the balance when there's no interest attached.  At the end of the intro period he can always get another personal loan for the balance, or transfer the remaining balance to another card.

Of course, all this is contingent on him being able to set the card aside and not use it AT ALL while paying on the principal.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 03:40:56 PM »
i would think telling them that he is thinking of fileing for bankruptcy would get them interested in negotiating?  i feel bad for the guy, but at the same time i wonder why he didn't get a better rate. he wouldn't normally touch a credit card.  likely he just had no credit from not using it.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 03:53:57 PM »
2 points I learned from watching my brother and SIL floundering through financial issues (don't ask):

1.  Most lenders will only discuss reducing the amount in exchange for a complete payoff.  In other words, the bank says "we'll drop the debt to $10,000, and you must pay that off within 30 days."

2. On credit reports, the account will not be listed as being paid in full or paid off.  Instead, it will be listed as "account settled."  This is a huge red flag on a financial history.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 08:35:21 PM »
Don't hate me for the suggestion...but why not get a second job?  Even 20hrs a week at minimum wage plus his normal payment would kill that loan in two years, leaving his credit intact.  When I was going through massive financial issues, that's what I did.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 10:56:16 PM »
Don't hate me for the suggestion...but why not get a second job?  Even 20hrs a week at minimum wage plus his normal payment would kill that loan in two years, leaving his credit intact.  When I was going through massive financial issues, that's what I did.

he spends much of his time tending his garden, and animals.   if he could give up his beer he would accomplish the same.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 12:20:20 AM »
i have a friend who needed a loan after his divorce 5 years ago.  he obtained a personal line of credit from citi (who has since been bought by beneficial) for the 15k ( at over 20% interest, ouch!) that he needed to satisfy the terms of his divorce.  he has made regular payments of around $300 per month for the past 5 years and still has a balance of nearly the original principal.  at this time he has the ability to get a lower interest loan to pay it off, but he would like to negotiate the balance before doing so, if possible.

This is why, if I come up owing money to a woman who hates me in a divorce I didn't cause, I will disappear from the Grid. Going in debt for a divorce settlement? Really?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 12:27:34 AM »
becoming one of the "unpeople" is getting harder and harder. and enforces limitations on your life you might not anticipate
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 12:32:24 AM »
becoming one of the "unpeople" is getting harder and harder. and enforces limitations on your life you might not anticipate

I am certain it is easier said than done and I will be the first to admit that I have had very, very few grievous infringements on my personal liberty and finances. But at the same time, I do not offer the sentiment idly.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 12:49:41 AM »
"should he not pay for a couple of months, and then try to talk with them?"

Only if he wants to hose his credit rating and make it hard to get a loan to replace the loan he's got...

I've heard of countproductive strategies, but that one is about as counterproductive as one can get.

^^^This.

If he can scratch together 60% or more of the balance he can try to offer them that as a settlement in full.  But his best bet, really, will be to re-fi to a non-extortionist rate and then work like a madman to pay it off.

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 12:59:10 AM »
I am certain it is easier said than done and I will be the first to admit that I have had very, very few grievous infringements on my personal liberty and finances. But at the same time, I do not offer the sentiment idly.

oh i believe ya  but as someone who did it i suggest you consider very carefully.  you should see the looks you get when they pull a credit report and you just don't exist for a decade or more. i've been back on the radar for a decade and 1/2 and its not as big an issue but i made 50 k a year and couldn't get a 3 k car note. i hada use wifes credit to buy a house.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 01:55:10 AM »
Without a superior tradeline there really isn't much negotiating to be done...
Missing payments? DO NOT DO THIS.  Gas on the fire, followed by napalm, followed by...

Cut (ruthlessly) expenses until it's paid off.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 11:24:26 AM »
superior tradeline?

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 12:19:52 PM »
superior tradeline?
Sorry. Line of credit with favorable terms.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 04:04:55 PM »
He took the money, right? Agreed to the terms? Bank has fulfilled their obligation?

He has a moral obligation to pay it off, if he can. Obviously he can. So my advice would be to tell him to stop trying to weasel out of his obligations and screw over the people he made a contract with, and concentrate on getting better terms and paying what he owes.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 04:14:09 PM »
20%  Ouch. 

Get it rolled into something lower interest.  If he's a homeowner, take out a line of credit against the house.  If he has reasonably good credit, he should be able to get a 12-months 0% credit card that the balance could be transferred to.  That alone with his current payment would get the balance down to $11,400 before he would need to search for another 0% card promotion.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 11:35:24 PM »
He took the money, right? Agreed to the terms? Bank has fulfilled their obligation?

He has a moral obligation to pay it off, if he can. Obviously he can. So my advice would be to tell him to stop trying to weasel out of his obligations and screw over the people he made a contract with, and concentrate on getting better terms and paying what he owes.

he has made every payment.  you don't believe in renegotiating?  how is that a problem with moral obligation?  at the begining of your quote you state he has a moral obligation to pay it off, and at the end you are saying to concentrate on better terms????  exactly what he is trying to do.

anyway, he called and they dropped 3 grand just for asking.  anything more than that, and they need "confirmation" of funds in an account before he can talk with their supervisor.  lol.  (phone rep)  let's see, you have 9,500 in an account, i guess we'll drop it to 9,500. (phone rep)    who knows,  i'll keep you informed.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 03:10:15 AM »
Trying to play shenanigans with the bank over his debt will just end up hurting him. His best bet is just to get a lower interest loan.

^^^ This.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 03:38:53 PM »
he has made every payment.  you don't believe in renegotiating?  how is that a problem with moral obligation?  at the begining of your quote you state he has a moral obligation to pay it off, and at the end you are saying to concentrate on better terms????  exactly what he is trying to do.

Negotiating better terms is fine, that's a legitimate attempt to find a mutually benefial solution to the problem while still living up to the obligation to repay the borrowed funds.  Negotiating a reduction of principal is trying to stick someone else with your debt.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

birdman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 03:52:16 PM »
Negotiating a reduction of principal is trying to stick someone else with your debt.

And will thrash your credit for a really long time....as I am finding out (I had "settled" a car loan and a credit card back in 2004). Now I wish I hadn't, (they offered, I didn't ask) as 7 years later it's still hurting my credit, and the difference was only a few thousand, which I would gladly pay now to erase the impact.  Morality aside, (again, they offered), it is totally normal for a business to negotiate some principal reduction if it means they will be able to collect 100% of half instead of 0% of the whole thing...it comes down to net present value (money now is worth more than money later), and the ability to write off bad debt as lost revenue.   

On the mechanics of this (to the OP), when a settlement is arranged, it is almost always based on a near-term (<30day) lump sum--if they are going to write off part of the debt, they are going to want to maximize both the chance they get the newly negotiated amount and maximize it's NPV.  If they are willing to accept the credit rating hit (again, I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT), attempt to get some lower interest rate personal loan or some other method of getting cash BEFORE you offer a settlement, then offer as much as you possibly can as a fixed lump sum.

A better course of action (which won't kill your credit) is before you miss any payments, get a personal loan, balance transfer, sell stuff, whatever (as long as any new money borrowed is at a lower interest rate), then offer a huge payment in exchange for a lower rate on the remaining...this typically works (again, they are trying to maximize their return so big near term $ is worth lowering the rate on the rest, and it reduces their exposure/risk)

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 05:01:05 AM »
You're dealing with an entity that only considers the bottom line, not whether or not living up to it's promises is moral.   You should feel fine doing the same - crunch the numbers and proceed on that basis.

Negotiating debt, principle and all, is good business and banks do it all the time.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."