Author Topic: 747 Freighter lands at wrong airport with too-short runways  (Read 7615 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
747 Freighter lands at wrong airport with too-short runways
« on: November 21, 2013, 07:55:59 AM »
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/21/21559785-giant-boeing-747-freighter-lands-at-wrong-kansas-airport?lite

Uh oh.  The Dreamlifters are based at Paine Field in Everett and I drive by them all the time.  I am sure they will figure out something.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: 747 Freighter lands at wrong airport with too-short runways
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:55:36 AM »
Sounds like an RGE for the flight crew.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:01:32 AM »
RGE?

Maybe they updated the article, but it says that they figured out that it could take off.  Wasn't mentioned whether that would be by unloading some or all of the cargo...

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 10:29:03 AM »
RGE?

Maybe they updated the article, but it says that they figured out that it could take off.  Wasn't mentioned whether that would be by unloading some or all of the cargo...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rge
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 10:37:14 AM »
Wow, that "RGE" was pretty obscure.  Thanks, adively, on behalf of all the rest of us who are not "hip" and "cool" and "with it."
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:43:10 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 10:50:23 AM »
If it's unloaded, I'm betting its no big deal.  The original 747 took off in some crazy short distance, like 3500'.  Empty, of course.  Loaded should be a lot more fun.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 10:54:36 AM »
Those Dreamliner parts are so lightweight that it shouldn't be any problem  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 10:58:49 AM »
That has happened more than a few times in the airline world
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 11:00:33 AM »
Those Dreamliner parts are so lightweight that it shouldn't be any problem  =D

Made of upsy-daisyum.  They have to bolt them to the floor so they don't float away.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 11:32:29 AM »

This.

We sit real close to HOU.  When they're on 30, people try and slip in to our 35 on the visual from time to time.  UAL is bad about it for some reason....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 12:03:08 PM »
Last year in Tampa we had a loaded C-17 accidentally land on a 3,500' runway.  He was a couple miles short of his intended target.  Apparently getting it back in the air was tricky.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 01:30:15 PM »

I remember the story of a Continental Airlines pilot landing his 737 at Cabaniss Field in Corpus Christi back in 1997. Looking at the aerials you can see how easy it would be to make the mistake visually since CCIA and Cabaniss are only separated by maybe five miles, North-South, and have runways on virtually identical headings. If CCIA is obscured for some reason then Cabaniss becomes the obvious choice. I vaguely recall the article saying something along the lines of CCIA being VFR for the most part with air traffic control being out of San Antonio, with the combination being how the mistake was made. Must have been loaded light too since the Cabaniss runways look like they're about half of CCIA's length

For those as don't know, Cabaniss Field is a WWII era training airfield that the Navy still uses for touch-and-go training so the runways are maintained but nothing else is really. As a result the hangars, which are the main visible structures, look like some post- apocalyptic nightmare. I can only imagine what the flight crew and passengers thought at the sight of them.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 01:42:57 PM »
For those as don't know, Cabaniss Field is a WWII era training airfield that the Navy still uses for touch-and-go training so the runways are maintained but nothing else is really. As a result the hangars, which are the main visible structures, look like some post- apocalyptic nightmare. I can only imagine what the flight crew and passengers thought at the sight of them.

Probably thought they were in "The Langoliers"  :lol:
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 02:03:17 PM »
Last year in Tampa we had a loaded C-17 accidentally land on a 3,500' runway.  He was a couple miles short of his intended target.  Apparently getting it back in the air was tricky.

Interesting, as I've seen a heavily loaded C17 take off in less space. Of course, they want more runway in case they need to abort.... :O
Back in the day, they did hot weather testing at the airfield I worked at (Yuma AZ).  Then the damn test C17 followed us to 29 palms when we went up there for CAX, so they could test it on the mobile air field runway. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 02:17:10 PM »
Just took off. Nice to watch.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 04:38:46 PM »
Take-off footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrjbARHz6o0

Took off with about 1000 feet to spare.  Good he didn't have to abort.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 05:59:42 PM »
Take-off footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrjbARHz6o0

Took off with about 1000 feet to spare.  Good he didn't have to abort.

I think the same thing taking off from SLC in a 737 with about 100 feet to spare  :O

And that's after burning up about half the fuel just taxi-ing  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 06:27:56 PM »
I am kind of disappoint that they did not have to come up with some elaborate JATO arrangement, like they do with Fat Albert, the C-130 that flies support for the Blue Angels.  I have personally watched several Fat Albert takeoffs, and they are a sight to behold.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 07:20:55 PM »
I am kind of disappoint that they did not have to come up with some elaborate JATO arrangement, like they do with Fat Albert, the C-130 that flies support for the Blue Angels.  I have personally watched several Fat Albert takeoffs, and they are a sight to behold.

According to Wikipedia the Blue Angels had to stop the JATO takoffs in 2009 because of dwindling rocket stocks.  =(
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 07:46:11 PM »
I think the same thing taking off from SLC in a 737 with about 100 feet to spare  :O

And that's after burning up about half the fuel just taxi-ing  ;/

WTF?  SLC has long runways.

They don't have to use the JATO bottles for takeoff. They use them because they can and it makes a good show.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 07:49:21 PM »
According to Wikipedia the Blue Angels had to stop the JATO takoffs in 2009 because of dwindling rocket stocks.  =(

My understanding is the J model killed off the need for jato.
WTF?  SLC has long runways.

They don't have to use the JATO bottles for takeoff. They use them because they can and it makes a good show.

Perception I'm sure.
JD

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »

Oh, indeed.  But it looks so cool to see that thing rotate in 100 yards and start climbing at a 45 degree angle.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 08:51:08 PM »
Probably thought they were in "The Langoliers"  :lol:

That's exactly what I thought of when I read that post.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 08:57:43 PM »
According to Wikipedia the Blue Angels had to stop the JATO takoffs in 2009 because of dwindling rocket stocks.

Oh, indeed.  But it looks so cool to see that thing rotate in 100 yards and start climbing at a 45 degree angle.

Until one of the bottles breaks loose, then you are screwed.

http://www.southpolestation.com/trivia/history/321/321.html

bob

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 09:44:34 PM »
Need to give the ruskies a call. Bring over that antov 225 and load the dream lifter inside of it.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods