Author Topic: 747 Freighter lands at wrong airport with too-short runways  (Read 7614 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: 747 Freighter lands at wrong airport with too-short runways
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 10:04:23 AM »
WTF?  SLC has long runways.

Must be the altitude, but it was in the winter/spring so it wasn't that hot.

Scared the crap out of me - rotated and lifted off and there was dirt below.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 11:00:19 AM »
Must be the altitude, but it was in the winter/spring so it wasn't that hot.

Scared the crap out of me - rotated and lifted off and there was dirt below.

I'm sure Tony can elaborate more on this, but I've seen planes that are clearly at speed stay on the runway while building more speed before rotating.  I'd imagine maybe it's to get a faster initial climb rate.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »
I'm sure Tony can elaborate more on this, but I've seen planes that are clearly at speed stay on the runway while building more speed before rotating.  I'd imagine maybe it's to get a faster initial climb rate.

Well, it sure gets a faster heart rate  :lol:

Unlike most passengers, I actually pay attention to what the aircraft is doing.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 07:53:38 PM »
Takeoff rotation is predicated on the flight data done prior to starting engines.  S1 airspeed is calculated, as is V1.  S1 is decision, V1 is rotate. V1 can be quite a ways down the runway, especially to somebody observing from the outside.  ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2013, 08:06:12 AM »
Takeoff rotation is predicated on the flight data done prior to starting engines.  S1 airspeed is calculated, as is V1.  S1 is decision, V1 is rotate. V1 can be quite a ways down the runway, especially to somebody observing from the outside.  ;)

That must be the military version, but it is close to the civilian version.

V1 is decision speed.  If everything is working right, keep going. If not, stop.
VR is rotation speed.  Time to rotate the nose upwards and takeoff.
V2 is engine-out climb speed.

The speeds are based on weight, density altitude, runway length, aircraft limitations, and initial climb requirements. Generally speaking, more speed is more better, but it has to be balanced with available runway to stop on. The speeds are planned for the worst case scenario: engine failure at V1, then continue the takeoff and climb. More speed on the ground equals more energy for the initial climb.

When I takeoff out of Ft Myers, FL (RSW) the V1 speed is usually pretty high because RSW has a 12,000 ft long runway. Lots of room to stop if needed.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2013, 08:46:27 AM »
That must be the military version, but it is close to the civilian version.

V1 is decision speed.  If everything is working right, keep going. If not, stop.
VR is rotation speed.  Time to rotate the nose upwards and takeoff.
V2 is engine-out climb speed.

The speeds are based on weight, density altitude, runway length, aircraft limitations, and initial climb requirements. Generally speaking, more speed is more better, but it has to be balanced with available runway to stop on. The speeds are planned for the worst case scenario: engine failure at V1, then continue the takeoff and climb. More speed on the ground equals more energy for the initial climb.

When I takeoff out of Ft Myers, FL (RSW) the V1 speed is usually pretty high because RSW has a 12,000 ft long runway. Lots of room to stop if needed.

I had to explain this to a co worker when a DC9 used most of the 9,000 footer the other day.  But she's a little dumb anyways.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2013, 05:14:14 PM »
I had to explain this to a co worker when a DC9 used most of the 9,000 footer the other day.  But she's a little dumb anyways.

If you really want to scramble her brain, ask her what powers the wheels on the ground.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2013, 07:42:46 PM »
If you really want to scramble her brain, ask her what powers the wheels on the ground.

Fission engine.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2013, 10:11:10 AM »
Looking back on it, I'm thinking that after taxing at SLC for thirty or forty minutes, the pilots just forgot how to fly and were going to drive all the way to California - right up until they saw the end of the runway and decided maybe they better do something else  =D

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
Looking back on it, I'm thinking that after taxing at SLC for thirty or forty minutes, the pilots just forgot how to fly and were going to drive all the way to California - right up until they saw the end of the runway and decided maybe they better do something else  =D

Not to pick nits but the way SLC is laid out I'm pretty sure you didn't taxi that long.  Probably just felt like it.
 Not that I wasn't ATC there for over 6 years or anything. ;)
Terminals sit between the parallel runways this drops taxi time.  SLC is always at the top for on time service in the nation.
DFW, IAH, DEN, ATL those kind of taxi times wouldn't surprise me at all.
JD

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2013, 12:14:28 PM »
Not to pick nits but the way SLC is laid out I'm pretty sure you didn't taxi that long.  Probably just felt like it.
 Not that I wasn't ATC there for over 6 years or anything. ;)
Terminals sit between the parallel runways this drops taxi time.  SLC is always at the top for on time service in the nation.
DFW, IAH, DEN, ATL those kind of taxi times wouldn't surprise me at all.

I guess I know how it's laid out.  I have no clue why it takes so long.

My daughter said that folks on her plane we saying that they guessed the pilot was going to drive all the way to Billings  :lol:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2013, 12:24:26 PM »

Man oh man, I hope by "coworker" you mean the janitor that was changing the trash can liners, and not the person sitting at the station next to yours!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »
Man oh man, I hope by "coworker" you mean the janitor that was changing the trash can liners, and not the person sitting at the station next to yours!

You wish. : p
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2013, 01:12:17 AM »

Yeah no. 
JD

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2013, 07:42:39 PM »
the op reminds me of the time when i was a kid and a guy and his girl landed a cessna 172 in our back yard.  we had a 750 ft strip and an aeronca champ in the backyard, so he mistook us for a small airfield about 5 miles up the road.  the first question he asked when he got out of his plane was "how long is that runway?".   we ended up with about 3/4ths of a 55 gallon drum of avgas, and he waited until evening to try and get out of there solo.   :lol:
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »
the op reminds me of the time when i was a kid and a guy and his girl landed a cessna 172 in our back yard.  we had a 750 ft strip and an aeronca champ in the backyard, so he mistook us for a small airfield about 5 miles up the road.  the first question he asked when he got out of his plane was "how long is that runway?".   we ended up with about 3/4ths of a 55 gallon drum of avgas, and he waited until evening to try and get out of there solo.   :lol:

Wow - I know some folks with a 182 and a 1200' grass strip, and they use just about the whole thing  :O

I did some odd jobs for the folks next door, and she comes in barely over the road and fence when landing.  She must have to watch for traffic along with everything else.

They also have a J-3 and of course it takes practically no room at all to takeoff/land  =)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »
When I lived in AK, we used to go see the STOL competitions.  Nothing like watching a Super Cub take off in 50'.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2013, 01:17:06 PM »
When I lived in AK, we used to go see the STOL competitions.  Nothing like watching a Super Cub take off in 50'.

Yeah, seen that at -30 of Fire Lake near Chugiak  =)

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2013, 04:32:43 PM »

I like the videos of the Cubs and Huskys practically landing on water on tundra tires.