Author Topic: Mail Order Shaving Supplies  (Read 11649 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Mail Order Shaving Supplies
« on: January 21, 2016, 01:00:06 AM »
What do y'all prefer for your shaving supplies?  Gillette blades from the grocery store or one of the mail order "clubs" that have sprung up.  Why do you prefer your choice?

SWMBO took my razor and hid it in a bag we took one a weekend trip.  I have yet to get it back.  I didn't like it much anyway and want something new.

And no, I'm not going to get a straight razor.  Too much of a ritual to use for my preferences.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Mail Order Shaving Supplies
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 01:12:13 AM »
I'm assuming you're looking at safety razors. Neither grocery nor clubs. West Coast Shaving is supposed to be pretty good, and I think they have the better selection of sample blades if you are looking for a new blade. I just bought bulk blades for cheap on Amazon, which set me up for the next ten years. :)

Got my Merkur razor at Amazon as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 07:10:50 AM »
Amazon
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 07:41:51 AM »
I bought a box of Personna blue blades from Amazon a couple of months ago. 100 count. Figure I'm good for at least 18 months or longer.

Cheap, too. $12?

I also buy my shaving soap from Amazon, the cakes of Van Hyusen. Nothing special, does what I need it to.

And a block of alum, and my shaving brush. Even bought a soap bowl from Amazon, but it's a little too small for the Van Hyusen cakes. I'm saving up my shard ends of glycerine bath soap, which I'll melt in the microwave and pour into the bowl.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 07:43:15 AM »
I just think it's odd that one of the big razor-buying clubs is called "Harry's."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 11:44:46 AM »
And no, I'm not going to get a straight razor.  Too much of a ritual to use for my preferences.

But without the ritual, it's just meaningless bleeding.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 11:57:23 AM »
A couple years back, Dad was bitching about the cost of the razors and the fact that for $$$ they didn't last more then a shave or two.

So I signed him up with Dollar Shave Club.  They'd send 5 refills a month and each would last about a week. (Dad only shaved 3-5 times a week.)

He was with them for about 18 months and he seemed content with them.   I think there's at least a month's worth in the hall closest for when Robert starts to shave...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 12:04:02 PM »
My Dad was a confirmed Norelco guy. Only rarely used a disposable. I'm not sure why I gravitated to blades when I started shaving.

I do know that when I have tried electrics, I have never been happy with the shave that I get. I had a Braun electric for awhile, mainly for convenience when traveling, but when it crapped out I didn't replace it.

Now that I've started shaving with my Grandfather's 1930s Gillette double edge, I find that I'm extremely happy with the shave that I get, as happy as I was with the Mach 3. I still use the Mach 3 on occasion when I'm in a hurry, but I don't think I'll be abandoning the double edge any time soon.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 12:21:44 PM »
I use the Mach 3 disposables right now.  They are pretty much the same price as the refill type.  I go a month or more with each one.  A week or two would likely be better.

A guy at work here uses the Dollar Shave Club.  He said you can shut down the monthly deliveries if you get too many.  I have been meaning to see if I could just order some of their stuff to give it a try.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 12:26:42 PM »
Yes, it's easy to try it for a month.  Before they send your next shipment the "warn" you that it's getting ready to ship.  Oh, and BTW would you like to upgrade your razor or maybe have us throw in this extra item at a nominal cost?

I use their shave butter in my travel kit...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 01:58:29 PM »
I keep seeing people claiming that you can make a razor last virtually forever if you keep the blades dry and clean between uses. One recommendation I saw was to keep a jar of alcohol and swish it in that after shaving.

The claim is that the hair on your beard doesn't do the damage to the blade, it's micro pitting from rust from being wet.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 02:37:25 PM »
I will have to try that.  I have some spare denatured ethanol I can set aside to swish my double-edge Merkur in after rinsing the soap and swarf off. 

Although, my understanding is that the Gillette 7 O' Clock, Personna, and Feather blades are already stainless steel, plated with platinum or other metals for longer edge-holding. 

Stainless isn't entirely corrosion-proof, but I always thought the blades dulled due to having to plow through the copper wire that grows out of my face.  ;)

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 03:02:07 PM »
Mike's right.  That's what dulls the blades faster then cutting through stubble.  I always wipe mine dry after each shave and they last longer.  I like the alcohol trick, I'll have to try that.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 03:15:11 PM »
I'll have to try the alcohol thing too. I'm usually too lazy to do anything but give the blades a cursory rinse.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 04:25:25 PM »
Need to find a suitable jar. Unfortunately I just took one out in the recycling.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 04:54:21 PM »
I keep seeing people claiming that you can make a razor last virtually forever if you keep the blades dry and clean between uses. One recommendation I saw was to keep a jar of alcohol and swish it in that after shaving.

Not entirely true, or a properly cared for straight razor would never need stropping, much less actual honing.  Considering neither is really possible with a typical disposable, I'd doubt you could do more than double or maybe triple its life.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 05:19:20 PM »
My razor will get clogged with soap/hair if I don't rinse it during and after shaving.  I an alcohol squirt bottle handy.  I can try doing a quick rinse. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 05:20:23 PM »
Yes, it's easy to try it for a month.  Before they send your next shipment the "warn" you that it's getting ready to ship.  Oh, and BTW would you like to upgrade your razor or maybe have us throw in this extra item at a nominal cost?

I use their shave butter in my travel kit...
I am always willing to try a better shaving soap.  I am just using facial bar soap right now.  It works well enough.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 05:26:51 PM »
What do y'all prefer for your shaving supplies?  Gillette blades from the grocery store or one of the mail order "clubs" that have sprung up.  Why do you prefer your choice?

SWMBO took my razor and hid it in a bag we took one a weekend trip.  I have yet to get it back.  I didn't like it much anyway and want something new.

Wilkinson double-edge razor blades from Wal-mart are actually pretty good. 

The pack of Derby blades I bought from Sally Beauty suck.  Maybe they're intended to just be used once (by a barber or stylist) and then thrown away so the next customer gets a fresh blade.  But they weren't even all that sharp the first use.

Mostly I use Astra blades, from Amazon -- a box of 100 was about $9 and they last a long time.
"It's good, though..."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 05:32:16 PM »
West Coast Shaving has a huge selection of everything. I use a Colonel Conch glycerin soap cake and a badger hair brush. Have about 3 years worth of DE blades on hand.
If you really want cheap cheap cheap you can hone your disposable blades and strop them on a sheet of newspaper.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 05:34:21 PM »
I'm still going through the West Coast shaving sampler pack of blades.  I can say that Van Hyusen blades suck ass right from jump street.  I got a pack with the travel DESR kit I bought at Target.  I thought it was fluke that the first one was so bad.  The second blade was worse and third blade only got one swipe before it and the rest of pack went in the trash.

Once I go through the rest of the sampler pack I will probably do a bulk order of Feathers or the Blue (or was it Red) Astra's.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 05:41:14 PM »
When I went looking for blades Van Hyusens were at the local pharmacy and over a buck a blade. 

No thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 06:05:11 PM »
went 25 years without shaving.  Full beard and all.  Last year, the wife said it was time for a change, so I kept a little chin hair, and shaved the rest off.
Probably shave every 3 or 4 days, and use a grocery store disposable, with some hand soap and hot water.  Seems to work.  Cheap.  Razor lasts a month.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 06:44:28 PM »
went 25 years without shaving.  Full beard and all.  Last year, the wife said it was time for a change, so I kept a little chin hair, and shaved the rest off.
Probably shave every 3 or 4 days, and use a grocery store disposable, with some hand soap and hot water.  Seems to work.  Cheap.  Razor lasts a month.

She must be one special of a lady,  25 years of something would be hard for me to change willingly.

I haven't shaved since it stopped being mandatory for drill.  Love not having to scrape my face.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 07:06:13 PM »
I don't mind shaving as long as I don't have to do it every single day.  I can get away with that right now working at a small chemical plant.  I shave 3 or 4 times a week.  If I don't shave, I end up with a scraggly looking grey hair growing in that I don't like anyway.