Author Topic: Bill Cosby to be released  (Read 1952 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Bill Cosby to be released
« on: June 30, 2021, 01:11:24 PM »
His sexual assault conviction was overturned by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court:

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/bill-cosby-to-be-released-from-prison-after-pennsylvania-court-overturns-sex-assault-conviction/

Not many details yet.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Bill Cosby to be released
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 01:43:27 PM »
Spending money on lawyers paid off.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 02:11:42 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 02:24:28 PM »
My understanding is a prosecutor told him there would be no criminal charges if he agreed to testify in a civil suit against him.  He did, and that testimony was used in his criminal trial.  So the case was thrown out.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 03:16:47 PM »
Not saying he isn't a perv and a predator but I've always been a little skeptical about the timing of all the allegations and his prosecution.
None of it started until he started criticizing "ghetto culture", generational welfare and the epidemic of absent black fathers.
Once he left the plantation he was fair game.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 03:43:53 PM »
Not saying he isn't a perv and a predator but I've always been a little skeptical about the timing of all the allegations and his prosecution.
None of it started until he started criticizing "ghetto culture", generational welfare and the epidemic of absent black fathers.
Once he left the plantation he was fair game.

Quite a few people brought this up at the time. Libs will keep the wagons circled around someone until they start talking off script which is far far worse in their minds than any crimes they were committing.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 04:13:53 PM »
My understanding is a prosecutor told him there would be no criminal charges if he agreed to testify in a civil suit against him.  He did, and that testimony was used in his criminal trial.  So the case was thrown out.

That's what I read. The County Prosecutor told him things he said in the deposition in a civil trial would not be used for criminal prosecution. A new County Prosecutor came onboard and violated that agreement. The PA Supreme Court said he should have never been prosecuted and released him and said he can't be tried again on those charges.

He is a scum bag but violating his constitutional rights by using his statements to criminally charge him after say they wouldn't is just wrong.

I wonder how long it will be before he sues Montgomery County PA, an hour or so?

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 04:25:50 PM »
That's what I read. The County Prosecutor told him things he said in the deposition in a civil trial would not be used for criminal prosecution. A new County Prosecutor came onboard and violated that agreement. The PA Supreme Court said he should have never been prosecuted and released him and said he can't be tried again on those charges.

He is a scum bag but violating his constitutional rights by using his statements to criminally charge him after say they wouldn't is just wrong.

I wonder how long it will be before he sues Montgomery County PA, an hour or so?

bob

This is how I look at it.

Too many of these gov prosecutors want to go woke, screw the constitution and rights to a fair trial. This is also why I believe Chauvin will likely be free at some point as well.

I'm fine with guilty people going free under circumstances like this.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 04:31:48 PM »
"″[Cosby] was found guilty by a jury and now goes free on a procedural issue that is irrelevant to the facts of the crime,” District Attorney Kevin Steele"

OK... Cosby is scum, but what transpired is FAR more than just a "procedure issue."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 04:38:14 PM »
The county prosecutor who violated the original agreement ought to serve the same length of time behind bars - under the same conditions - as Cosby did.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 05:49:19 PM »
Why did it take this long to come out?

Why didn't his defense raise this at trial and have it be inadmissible then?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 06:00:50 PM »
I regard this as Cosby getting off on a technicality. It's a BIG technicality, and (unfortunately) it is the right call from a legal perspective, but it doesn't mean that he's not a rapist.

As for why his lawyers didn't raise this before -- obviously, he hired the wrong lawyers. Will Shakespeare had it right: "First, kill all the lawyers."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 06:37:10 PM »
Why did it take this long to come out?

Why didn't his defense raise this at trial and have it be inadmissible then?

I think they did and the judge ruled against them. 
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 06:56:08 PM »
Did the prior deposition testimony play a factor in the case against him?

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2021, 10:23:44 PM »
What about the rights of his victims? 

Because a prosecutor screwed up, he goes free.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2021, 10:41:04 PM »
WLJ REMARKED,

"Quite a few people brought this up at the time. Libs will keep the wagons circled around someone until they start talking off script which is far far worse in their minds than any crimes they were committing."

Quoted for truth.

HankB said,

"The county prosecutor who violated the original agreement ought to serve the same length of time behind bars - under the same conditions - as Cosby did."

Quoted for truth.

" ' [Cosby] was found guilty by a jury and now goes free on a procedural issue that is irrelevant to the facts of the crime,'  District Attorney Kevin Steele said."

I thought you legally expert prosecutor guys were aware of that possibility and were supposed to take care that no such procedural issues occur.  You get pissantly specific and technical and by the book when it suits you, but boy, let a guy get off "on a technicality" and you're all butt hurt.

Boo-effing-hoo.

Pb asked,

"What about the rights of his victims? 

Because a prosecutor screwed up, he goes free."

You're confusing Justice with the Legal System.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2021, 10:46:49 PM »
When WE screw up, it's a horrific crime. When the prosecutor screws up, it's a "technicality."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2021, 10:51:17 PM »
He was the guy who had the disco biscuits.

TANSTAAFL

Blog under construction

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2021, 11:11:14 PM »

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2021, 12:24:34 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2021, 07:00:52 AM »
The prosecutor didn't screw up.

That prosecutor's actions are in the same league as those of the DA who went after the Duke University lacrosse players some years ago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2021, 09:56:14 AM »
I hope it revives #metoo because a few prominent people with more credible allegations have ducked the deal. Burn all the witches this time, I love it when they eat themselves  [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] >:D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2021, 10:13:59 AM »
The prosecutor didn't screw up.

That prosecutor's actions are in the same league as those of the DA who went after the Duke University lacrosse players some years ago.

The lacrosse players were innocent.  Cosby is probably guilty.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2021, 10:42:06 AM »
The lacrosse players were innocent.  Cosby is probably guilty.

True. Nonetheless, when the government makes a deal, the government should honor the deal. If the government can't live with the consequences that brings with it, then they shouldn't agree to the deal.

Prosecutorial misconduct is prosecutorial misconduct, regardless of whether the victim is innocent or guilty.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2021, 11:14:41 AM »
True. Nonetheless, when the government makes a deal, the government should honor the deal. If the government can't live with the consequences that brings with it, then they shouldn't agree to the deal.

Prosecutorial misconduct is prosecutorial misconduct, regardless of whether the victim is innocent or guilty.
There is plenty of that with innocent people that doesn't get addressed. 

Is there link that sanely explains what went on with this agreement?  I was curious how much that agreement affected the later trial as far as using his testimony against him.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge