Author Topic: The Mystery of Southern Names  (Read 5721 times)

Bob F.

• friend
Re: The Mystery of Southern Names
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
Definitely!
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 05:19:05 PM »
Something I've noticed in recent times about names is the tendency to name kids after States, Dakota and Wyoming being two common ones but I've also seen Nevada, Florida and Carolina. and I've know 2 people who's actual given name was "Texas" John Texas Anderson and a fellow named Texas Joe Roberts I saw a military ID on one and a drivers license for the other one.  We also know of the fictitious Indiana Jones (episode 4 in 2008) However I've never heard anyone named for a Northeast Yankee state.  No Vincent New Jersey Gambini, no New Hampshire James Robinson.
So whats up with that?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 06:22:58 PM »
Then there are really bizarre names like RoadKingLarry.  Tongue
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2007, 06:30:54 PM »
At a previous job a fellow employee with the last name of Whitmore received a Fedex letter addressed to a Mr. Shitmore.
Settle down, Francis. (or is that Kiile). laugh
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2007, 09:02:55 PM »
And don't even get into some inner-city names... Had a friend who had a student named Female. And I've known a Lovorice... Never met a Syphillis, but a friend swears that he met one...

Blog under construction

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2007, 02:10:41 AM »
Tales from the South, as told by a former welfare dept. worker (me):

1) Mom was attending the health Dept. pre-natal clinic.  Meant a lot of time sitting and waiting to be seen.  No tv, no table full of magazines.  Nothing to do but look at the posters on the walls.

Oh, yeah.  The pre-natal clinic was held in the same area as the vd clinic.

All the posters were about vd and what could happen to you.  Good scientific stuff, with some graphic illustrations for those who could not understand Latin names for body parts.

Anyhow -- several months later mom has to choose a name for the little princess that managed to survive public health care.  Mom admits to not knowing just exactly what it meant, but the word just "sounded so pretty."  So she puts an "a" on the end so everybody will know its a girl's name.

We all got together and created a pool about when little Syphillia would gut-cut her mom.  I put my money on the first day of kindergarten, when the teacher calls the roll for the first time.  I did not win the pool.

2) And who will ever forget the young girl who forever must tell folks that her name is pronounced "poor-shuh" in spite of it not being spelled the "classical" way.  Seems her mom had the right idea, but somehow managed to get "P-o-u-l-t-r-y" onto the birth certificate.  "Poor-shuh" has a little brother who has to tell everybody that his name really is Hot Dog.  It's on his birth certificate.  Mom did not screw up spelling it, either.  She meant it, cause he was such a fiesty thing while she was carrying him.

3) There was a family of 6 girls.  First kid was born at the beginning of Black Pride in the 60's.  Mom & Dad were veery much into Black Pride, having changed their whitebread names to ones sounding more African.  First girl was named Gotwan, the next Gotwanda, then Gotwandadon, followed by Gotwandadonamon, and so on to the very bitter end.  Mom & Dad were very well educated & held down jobs paying well into 6 figures.  They just had that strange notion about names for their kids.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2007, 04:49:09 AM »
There was a baby girl born in Colorado and her parents named her "Crystal"

Nice name Smiley

Her middle name was "River"   rolleyes

The Crystal River is near Aspen and Crested Butte, BTW.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2007, 12:44:11 PM »
In a Wal-Mart ad several years ago, they used a model/associate named Latrina.  I hope it was a joke. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2007, 01:18:53 PM »
I still wanna know what Tej's middle name is...

Kirk-Joe?

Blog under construction

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2007, 05:29:25 PM »
Tallpine: Did great granddaddy's horse trading forays perchance involve Al Gore's great granddaddy, said to have beeen "closely associated with the Pinkertons"?

Read that as "persued by"!

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2007, 06:09:12 PM »
 I once knew a nurse who'd named one of her daughters Simian.  The rest of her kids had normal names.
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2007, 11:31:48 PM »

Kirk-Joe?

That would br Kirky - Joe...

I'm reminded of an NBA guy, AMFERNY Jones. I'm guessing mama had a spot of trouble spelling Anthony?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2007, 03:02:46 AM »
I heard of somone naming their kid "Telly Savalas Jones".
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2007, 03:44:59 AM »

Kirk-Joe?

Its probably something like Kirk-Scott (I know its "S" something) Freeman.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2007, 07:07:01 AM »
Tallpine: Did great granddaddy's horse trading forays perchance involve Al Gore's great granddaddy, said to have beeen "closely associated with the Pinkertons"?

Read that as "persued by"!

Possible.  Nobody seems to want to talk about it.  undecided

Or he could have been robbed and murdered.  This was in the 1890s in Arkansaw.

On the other side of the family I'm supposed to be related to Lady Astor (American lady who became the first female MP).  That and a buck gets me a cup of coffee almost everywhere.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2007, 08:20:50 AM »
I'm related to the royal family of Holland... via an indiscretion...

Blog under construction

dglockster

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2007, 05:09:51 PM »

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2007, 08:51:10 AM »
bogie, not Joe, it's "Stephenson Wyrick".
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2007, 01:48:34 PM »
When I worked retail mailorder we had some good names come through. The ones I remember are Dung La and Jane C. Rectanus (that's pronounced rec-tuh-nus, not wreckedanus).
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2007, 04:06:54 PM »
When I was stationed at Norton AFB, Ca, we had an airman there named
Ahsum Buht.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G