Author Topic: Union of North America?  (Read 17077 times)

Michigander

• friend
Union of North America?
« on: August 15, 2007, 02:53:42 AM »
Who is Hal Turner and what is this about the "North American Union"?

I think this guy has done flipped or something.

This is some kind of joke, isn't it?

http://www.halturnershow.com/
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

Paddy

Re: Union of North America?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 05:14:01 AM »
I don't know what to make of the whole North American Union conspiracy theory.  But those coins do have the look of government design to them.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 05:52:03 AM »
It is amazing what people will do for ratings.  This doesn't even pass the laugh test, much less the smell test.
A Union like that has been envisaged for probably well over 100 years.  Done the right way I dont think it's a bad idea at all.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 05:57:45 AM »
Heck, I think we should invade Mexico and annex it as a territory.

That way all the Mexicans that want to live in the USA don't have to travel  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 06:27:40 AM »
You joke but if we could export the rule of law that we have in this country and the hostility to monopolies and gov't control (and compared to most of the word we are very unfriendly towards it) the average Mexican would be much better served.

nico

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 06:59:06 AM »
but what about the average American?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 07:36:37 AM »
Rabbi, I'm only joking because I don't believe in starting wars.

But IMO we would have done much more to improve our "security" by invading Mexico rather than Iraq. 

It sure would have made the commute shorter, anyway  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 07:43:59 AM »
Why would we want Mexico when we can't even get places like California, New York City and Washington D.C. to join the U S of A.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 08:15:27 AM »
Well, personally - I'd like to forget the USA just go back to something like the Articles of Confederation Wink

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 09:02:26 AM »

Also better off.
Each country (US, Canada, Mexico) has some strength and some weakness.  In the U.S. we have lots of capital and managerial experience.  We have a good system of laws and financial transparancy.  We do not have a good labor supply and are so-so on raw materials.
Canada has raw materials but a statist government and fewer qualified citizens.  They also dont have much ready labor.
Mexico has some raw materials (oil), not much middle class, little access to capital, and a lot of cheap labor.  They also have huge corruption problems and monopoly issues.  The richest man in the hemisphere, Carlos Slim, largely profited from gov't monopoly.
Take the best of all of them and you will build a much richer society.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 10:11:21 AM »

Yeah. Right. Who cares about us?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 10:38:14 AM »
I really wonder if the average American would be better off overall.

US/Canadian commerce has been, for over 100 years, the world's freest border, and the exchange of goods and services has been bountiful.

I don't see how a North American Union would do much to change that.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 11:15:42 AM »
Not so free.
There are (unless it's changed recently) heavy tarriffs on Canadian timber.  I am sure there are lots of regulations and restrictions going both ways.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 11:53:30 AM »
Canada is not so open to immigration either, at least by Americans.

Thirty years ago, I tried to get a work permit to work in the timber in northern BC.  The logging companies were advertising on the radio for fallers and skidder operators.  But at that time tens of thousands were unemployed in Toronto, so you pretty much had to be a doctor or a retiree with a steady income stream to get a residence visa.  Not that any of those factory workers would ever leave their unemployment check to go work in the woods in BC  rolleyes

Len Budney

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 01:15:31 PM »
Canada is not so open to immigration either, at least by Americans.

They have laws to prevent immigrants from "taking jobs from Canadians." There are basically two ways to get in: your employer has to jump through hoops to prove that nobody in Canada can do what you do; or you have to promise that you'll go on welfare and stay on it. The fastest way in to Canada is on the welfare train.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 01:25:04 PM »
There are basically two ways to get in: your employer has to jump through hoops to prove that nobody in Canada can do what you do; or you have to promise that you'll go on welfare and stay on it.

The very nice gentleman at the immigration (whatever it was called, "ministry of something") office in Prince George admitted that the rule was silly - there was a vast shortage of people willing to work in the northern woods, but there was really nothing that could be done.  Canada is a beautiful country with nice people, but since their gun laws have gone the way they have, I'm glad I didn't get admitted back then.

No hard feelings, but what I was really trying to point out is that Canada is no more open to legal immigration from their southern neighbor than is the USA Wink

Michigander

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 01:32:24 AM »
So this North American Union thing is a farce, right?

But if it were true, you guys would be for it?

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 03:16:46 AM »
So this North American Union thing is a farce, right?

A) Yes
B) The devil is in the details.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 03:52:08 AM »
TR assumes that the best would be taken from each country.

I would place my money on a less utopian outcome more akin to Los Angeles* than Middle America with plentiful resources.

In a possible union of the US & Mexico, Los Angeles shows the future today.  Canada would be an afterthought.

* Statist, corrupt, large underclass with an upper class crust and no middle class to speak of.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 04:08:55 AM »

No, I'm actually for seccession  Wink

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 04:38:02 AM »
TR assumes that the best would be taken from each country.

I would place my money on a less utopian outcome more akin to Los Angeles* than Middle America with plentiful resources.

In a possible union of the US & Mexico, Los Angeles shows the future today.  Canada would be an afterthought.

* Statist, corrupt, large underclass with an upper class crust and no middle class to speak of.

As I said, the devil is in the details.  Yeah, if such a union involved stripping most of the BOR, statist control of various industries to prevent "profiteering", labor restrictions, etc etc, that is hardly a bargain.

Michigander

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 01:35:32 AM »
This Hal Turner guy even went so far as to have a fake Amero coin made up.  This guy really is a kook.

http://www.halturnershow.com/AmeroCoinArrives.html

http://www.halturnershow.com/IMG_2471.JPG[/img]]

(if someone could reduce the size of the image, I'd appreciate it.)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 02:16:20 PM »
Microsoft Paint will shrink the image if you have the jpeg.  Otherwise, I don't know.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 07:42:57 PM »
I don't know what to make of the whole North American Union conspiracy theory.  But those coins do have the look of government design to them.

rolleyes

It's not a conspiracy theory. It's a done deal.
Why do think those in the goobermint will neither confirm nor deny? They aren't going to tip their hand risk opposition before everything is in place and they are avoiding outright lying to the public.

http://www.augustreview.com
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Paddy

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 08:01:30 PM »
OK.  I'll bite.  Explain how GWB and the U.S. Congress are beholden to, and prepared to do the will of, the Trilateral Commission.