Author Topic: Mystery Illness after meteor strike  (Read 3960 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Mystery Illness after meteor strike
« on: September 18, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070918032309.snshi71r&show_article=1

Villagers in southern Peru were struck by a mysterious illness after a meteorite made a fiery crash to Earth in their area, regional authorities said Monday.

Around midday Saturday, villagers were startled by an explosion and a fireball that many were convinced was an airplane crashing near their remote village, located in the high Andes department of Puno in the Desaguadero region, near the border with Bolivia.

Residents complained of headaches and vomiting brought on by a "strange odor," local health department official Jorge Lopez told Peruvian radio RPP.

Seven policemen who went to check on the reports also became ill and had to be given oxygen before being hospitalized, Lopez said.

Rescue teams and experts were dispatched to the scene, where the meteorite left a 100-foot-wide (30-meter-wide) and 20-foot-deep (six-meter-deep) crater, said local official Marco Limache.

"Boiling water started coming out of the crater and particles of rock and cinders were found nearby. Residents are very concerned," he said.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
Re: Mystery Illness after meteor strike
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 07:55:07 PM »
I've never heard of anyone getting ill from a meteorite, something strange is going on.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 08:00:31 PM »
Garden-variety dust?  Anthrax in the soil?  Or, the villagers could be from Krypton. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Viking

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 08:07:22 PM »
We will see zombies soon enough.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 09:58:14 PM »
Well, no mass blindness and man eating plants.
No worries
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 10:17:59 PM »
We will see zombies soon enough.
grin grin grin
I watched Undead last weekend. Maybe I shouldn't laugh.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 12:19:54 AM »
It's Bush's fault.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

client32

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 03:51:24 AM »
It's Bush's fault.
Why are we going to war in the Andes?  Is there oil there?
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 04:03:13 AM »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 06:53:00 AM »
The Andromeda Strain was the first thing I thought of, too.  I wonder if that is out on DVD these days?  I always liked that movie.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 07:01:24 AM »
Ever read the H.P. Lovecraft story The Colour Out of Spacegrin

A meteorite lands near and infects a farmer's well, draining the life out of everything around until it becomes gray and crumbles. Whatever it is is buried in the fetid muck at the bottom and causes the trees to sway when there's no wind, with a faint, unearthly glow...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 07:02:12 AM »
Radioactive material? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 07:05:31 AM »
Night of the Comet   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 07:46:47 AM »
Radioactive material? 

This was my thought as well

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 07:53:12 AM »
I wouldn't think that radioactive material would have any oder, oop's
gotta go.
The puppet masters are calling me, yall keep your clothes on...mmmkay

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 08:22:12 AM »
Space debris with some kind of toxic fluid left in it that vaporized on impact.  The shuttle is full of stuff like that - toxic, corrosive, carcinogenic, or all three.  That's why they park it way out by itself for a while after landing.  It takes several hours to remove the nastiness (or as much as possible) before they can move the vehicle.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 11:35:24 AM »
Space debris with some kind of toxic fluid left in it that vaporized on impact.  The shuttle is full of stuff like that - toxic, corrosive, carcinogenic, or all three.  That's why they park it way out by itself for a while after landing.  It takes several hours to remove the nastiness (or as much as possible) before they can move the vehicle.

Brad

I know one reason they isolate the shuttle is because they use hydrazine to fuel the APU and it is highly toxic and carcinogenic. I don't know what else is on the shuttle but I doubt there was any hydrazine in or on any space debris.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 11:52:37 AM »
I know one reason they isolate the shuttle is because they use hydrazine to fuel the APU and it is highly toxic and carcinogenic. I don't know what else is on the shuttle but I doubt there was any hydrazine in or on any space debris.

The hypergols used to power the OMS system will explode if mixed, so there's a whole lot of things they need to safe and drain off once it's on the ground.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 12:20:38 PM »
Could it be vaporized heavy metal?

I really doubt it is radiation. I don't think space stuff is radioactive enough to matter. If you do get radiation sickness symptoms right away you wont live long enough for the story to be printed.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 01:40:25 PM »
I've never heard of anyone getting ill from a meteorite, something strange is going on.

You've obviously never read H. P. Lovecraft.

West of Arkham the hills rise wild, and there are valleys with deep woods that no axe has ever cut.  There are dark narrow glens where the trees slope fantastically, and where thin brooklets trickle without ever having caught the glint of sunlight.  On the gentle slopes there are farms, ancient and rocky, with squat, moss-coated cottages brooding eternally over old New England secrets in the lee of great ledges; but these are all vacant now, the wide chimneys crumbling and the shingled sides bulging perilously beneath low gambrel roofs.

Of course something strange is going on.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 09:22:36 PM »
Waiting for shaggoths to appear, Lee? 

Chupacabra.  It's the only logical conclusion.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 04:19:11 AM »
I left a note on another board and forgot to mention it here. Shucks Smiley

Anyhow, the area is still putatively geologically active. Reports said that there was boiling water coming from the crater.

Obvious conclusion? Hydrogen sulfide and other volcanic gasses. If they were standing in the immediate area they could have even gotten carbon dioxide toxicity.
EDIT:

http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/region.cfm?rnum=1504

And that's a short list. I wouldn't be surprised to find no meteor at all, just a new fumarole.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 09:33:40 AM »
Peru sits right on top of the Ring of Fire.

One possibility for the sickness is that the impact opened a small fissure leading to a source of underground volcanic gas. That would account for the smell, the headaches and the sickness.

A fissure releasing noxious gases is not unheard of. The Temple of the Oracle in Delphi, Greece sats right on top of such a fissure (now inactive) that was a source of subterranean gas many believe to be responsible for the Oracle's trances.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online