Author Topic: I Wouldn't Want to be an NYPD Cop  (Read 1002 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I Wouldn't Want to be an NYPD Cop
« on: July 23, 2019, 10:22:22 AM »
I have to give them credit for remaining calm, though the Asian cop looks pretty dejected.

Seems like the trend in some of our largest dem controlled cities is leading from "do not engage" to "don't try to defend yourselves, or you might be fired." This was in "Renaissance Harlem".

Apparently it's just as bad in a few other cities. I had a plumber out the other day, and I guess because of my Gadsden flag, he figured it was safe to talk conservative politics.  :laugh:

He told me his brother just took an early out from Seattle PD, where morale is also apparently rock bottom because of stuff like this. It's just hearsay, but his brother is apparently one of many who are leaving. I forgot which other big liberal city it was, but I read an article the other day about the cops there that look for places to park and just sit all day, only interacting with the community if they get a call on the radio, because they're afraid of lawsuits or worse.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-police-pelted-objects-drenched-water-video-reprehensible
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: I Wouldn't Want to be an NYPD Cop
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 10:28:08 AM »
And quite often the very same people attacking cops for doing their jobs, because of racism of course, are the very same people who whine the loudest about the city not doing enough about crime in their neighborhood, because of racism of course.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 10:49:10 AM »
I wouldn't want to be a cop anywhere right now.  Sure, some areas are better than others, but no matter where you work and no matter what choices you make you're an edited, out-of-context cell phone video away from your split second, high stress decision being center stage for today's Two Minutes Hate.

I'll play with cop dogs and play bad guy during cop training, but the last thing I'd want is to actually be a cop today.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 10:52:33 AM »
Seems to me that we're running full circle right back into the late 1960s/early 1970s when police in a lot of cities simply gave up and let crime run absolutely rampant.

These cities are going to get what they wished for... and they're not going to like it.

The situation is starting to spiral out of control in Baltimore, which because of the Freddie Gray case was one of the early examples of where the local political structure swung hard core anti police.

Police leadership is coming out with all of these 'police/community' partnership plans, but if you don't have the backing of the local political organization or the upper structures of the police department, officers aren't going to be very active in police operations.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 11:07:13 AM »
Lots and lots of stories in the local Seattle media about SPD officers leaving for other local agencies.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 12:04:43 PM »
That video is revolting.

I agree with other posters.

That city is due for a crime wave.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 01:18:48 PM »
I've read that in my old home town - Chicago - cops have to fill out a 3 page "contact report" justifying why they talked to someone on the street. And of course, race must be noted.

In Austin, TX, a couple of years ago they had a story about "de-policing" - a practice in which traffic cops simply stop issuing tickets to certain minority drivers because they get in trouble if minorities are disproportionately represented in their ticket books. Being assigned a beat in a minority area is no excuse.  (I saw this story ONCE on TV and there was never a follow up.) And of course, now local Austin cops have to be "hands off" the bums since camping and such has been legalized in the city . . . except around City Hall.

Then at the other extreme, we have "no knock" raids, planted evidence, and increasing militarism. Seems the reasonable middle ground of traditional "peace officers" is being lost to "law enforcement."

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 01:41:29 PM »
Damn feral youths.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 01:50:31 PM »
Seems to me that we're running full circle right back into the late 1960s/early 1970s when police in a lot of cities simply gave up and let crime run absolutely rampant.

These cities are going to get what they wished for... and they're not going to like it.

The situation is starting to spiral out of control in Baltimore, which because of the Freddie Gray case was one of the early examples of where the local political structure swung hard core anti police.

Police leadership is coming out with all of these 'police/community' partnership plans, but if you don't have the backing of the local political organization or the upper structures of the police department, officers aren't going to be very active in police operations.

But of course guns are the real problem.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 02:19:20 PM »
Yep, even before we got our new anti-police mayor here in Chicago, the police had gone "fetal", meaning they only responded to calls, no active policing, because of the "constent decree" because of Chicago's racist PD and the LaQuan Macdonald case.

And Chicago gets what it so richly deserves.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 02:53:27 PM »
Yep, even before we got our new anti-police mayor here in Chicago, the police had gone "fetal", meaning they only responded to calls, no active policing...

Another reason to be glad Chicago has citizen carry now.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 03:21:52 PM »
Then at the other extreme, we have "no knock" raids, planted evidence, and increasing militarism. Seems the reasonable middle ground of traditional "peace officers" is being lost to "law enforcement."

True enough. We've had many a discussion here about corrupt NYPD cops. While there are bad apples, somehow, they're not the cops subjected to this kind of stuff - it's the guys just doing their duty. I again refer to the Asian cop in one of the videos. He just looked downtrodden as those "citizens" literally danced around him and laughed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 05:53:03 PM »
But of course guns are the real problem.  ;/

Paraphrased from another APS member:  "Ever notice that nobody blames the gun when a cop shoots someone?"
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden