Author Topic: Buying a new TV  (Read 2547 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Buying a new TV
« on: January 03, 2018, 06:24:28 PM »
I've put it off for a year or two, but I'm about to buy a new TV for the basement.  There's a 27" CRT-type there now that hasn't been turned on in a couple of years because it doesn't have a digital tuner, and I don't want to rent another cable box.  I have a b/g/n/ac router about 20 feet away from where the TV goes, so that should be fast enough to stream over wifi.

What I think I want is a 43" with three HDMI inputs and a tuner for over-the-air signals.  One HDMI is for a Roku stick, one for a DVD or BluRay player, and one for a small desktop computer that I'll use for gaming.  I'd get a Vizio that Sam's Club has on sale for about $250 right now, but like all all the Vizio models I've seen it only has 2 HDMIs.

A few questions:

• Will the the computer's video card transmit the sound over the HDMI cable too?  It has a cheap AMD video card; I think it's a Sapphire model HD5450.

• Is there some other way to hook these up using two HDMI ports plus component video?  I need to look at that Sam's TV and see if it has audio inputs.

• I assume a separate Roku device is better than getting one integrated into the TV?  (supports more apps and can be updated) Among other things, I want to run the Spectrum app that I think will let me watch everything I'm currently subscribed to on cable -- until I'm ready to cut the cord which is the ultimate goal but at least a year out (I need to prove the concept to the Mrs. -- I think Sling + Amazon + Netflix + over-the-air channels gives us everything we watch)

• Are there more questions that I haven't asked that I should have? :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:51:40 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Buying a new TV
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 08:28:36 PM »
Our TV had 4 HDMI inputs. I have a laptop to one, my BlueRay/Surround Sound hooked to another and a ChromeCast dongle to the last. Of course, the primary is hooked to my Comcast DVR/Cable box.

The TV has AUX audio in/out. The out goes to the surround sound system. The in comes from the Laptop as it is my multimedia feed to the system.

HDMI cables can transfer video and audio in high definition quality from one device to another. There are a variety of reasons you may not be hearing source audio on another device when using an HDMI cable; the settings may not be correct on one of the devices, the hardware may be faulty or the cable itself may be bad.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 09:40:25 PM »
There's a Hisense TV at samsclub.com for $250 that has 3 HDMI inputs.  I don't know much about that brand except it's Chinese.  And Best Buy has an Insignia with 3 HDMIs.  I know even less about Insignia.

I've been reading about Blu Ray players; they don't come with HD analog outputs anymore.  If they do have component jacks, they down-convert the output to SD.

p.s.  Thanks, whoever moved the thread to the right forum for me :)
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 10:23:57 PM »
I got three Vizio TVs in the house, all of them have 3 or more HDMI ports.

Menards in Mason City has a 55" LED TV for $329

https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/electronics/small-electronics/55-4k-ultra-hd-led-tv/plded5515-uhd/p-1501828295100-c-6299.htm?tid=8952818086265121392&ipos=5

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 10:56:26 PM »
Our TV is a Worst Buy, Dynex unit.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 10:21:08 AM »

• Will the the computer's video card transmit the sound over the HDMI cable too?  It has a cheap AMD video card; I think it's a Sapphire model HD5450.

It should, but that doesn't mean it will. Some video cards require fiddling with the sound output destination settings a bit. Others will switch automatically.

• Is there some other way to hook these up using two HDMI ports plus component video?  I need to look at that Sam's TV and see if it has audio inputs.

Make sure the TV has discrete component/HDMI inputs. Some sets will treat one input as either/or, not both. In other words they may have both HDMI and component on one input designation but you have to choose one or the other. They can't be used at the same time.

• I assume a separate Roku device is better than getting one integrated into the TV?  (supports more apps and can be updated) Among other things, I want to run the Spectrum app that I think will let me watch everything I'm currently subscribed to on cable -- until I'm ready to cut the cord which is the ultimate goal but at least a year out (I need to prove the concept to the Mrs. -- I think Sling + Amazon + Netflix + over-the-air channels gives us everything we watch)

From what I've experienced, apps native to a TV/disc player are, at best, little better than "just okay". Slow, difficult to navigate, and often with several glaring deficiencies due to compromises made for the app to integrate into the TV's operating system. For media streaming a Roku box or gaming console are much better. The native Roku interface is simple and intuitive. The only downside is it can be a little slow because of the move-and-select typing system for custom text input. I have an Xbox with the chatpad controller add-on. Short of a keyboard and mouse, it's hands-down the best input combination I've used on any type of streaming device. (FYI - With the introduction of the Xbox One X, One S's are going for $199, new.)

Also, if you've considered a home theater setup, keep in mind that most HT receivers are also functional A/V switches. Most have at least four HDMI inputs plus one or two component inputs that will upscale to 1080p (the more recent units, 4K).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 10:40:27 AM »
I got three Vizio TVs in the house, all of them have 3 or more HDMI ports.

Menards in Mason City has a 55" LED TV for $329

https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/electronics/small-electronics/55-4k-ultra-hd-led-tv/plded5515-uhd/p-1501828295100-c-6299.htm?tid=8952818086265121392&ipos=5

We currently have a Vizio 40", bought a few years ago.  It only has 2 HDMI ports.  And all the 40 to 43 inch Vizios I've been looking at online (except a "smart" one I don't want) only have 2.  My old one does have the speakers on the front and sounds pretty good; the reviews I've read of new ones all complain about little speakers on the back that sound like crap.

I never would have thought to check Menard's for electronics!  But a 55" is too big for the space I have.  And it would not go over well anyway if I put a noticeably bigger TV downstairs than the main TV in the living room. ;)
"It's good, though..."

robear

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 12:17:06 PM »
You could also consider an external HDMI switch.   This 5-port one is only $11.

https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Intelligent-Switcher-Supports-HD1080p/dp/B01N0W1W1Z

It will increase the number of remotes you need (a growing pain nowadays) but you could get a smart or learning remote control and integrate the TV and remote switch into one.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 03:09:40 PM »
Thanks, I had no idea HDMI switchboxes were so cheap.  Two inputs would be fine if I could multiplex one of them; mostly I'll just be using the Roku so it gets a dedicated port.

Edit: This is the top contender:  https://www.samsclub.com/sams/vizio-43in-led-tv-d-series/prod21330268.ip?CAWELAID=730010300001790190  And I'll need a stand for it because the feet are too wide to fit on my table.  

And maybe an el cheapo sound bar:  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2-0-channel-soundbar-with-digital-amplifier-black/5225704.p?skuId=5225704
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:01:04 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 08:58:55 PM »
The Logitech programmable remotes work great if you avoid the bottom end models. They work, just are limited in scope compared to the mid level and up models.
MOLON LABE!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 09:00:52 PM »
And here I am still rocking a CRT unit as my ONLY TV set.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 09:13:14 PM »
 =D

Heathen, reprobate, and codger. Check.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 09:15:14 PM »
TV?

Tee Vee?

What is this "Tee Vee" of which you speak?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 09:20:18 PM »
The smug is as thick as a Prius convention.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 10:13:02 PM »
 =D

I would be if the 27" Magnavox didn't start humming 6 years ago.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 10:28:12 PM »
I wonder if a Roku Express+ and my old 27" Panasonic TV might be a decent solution?  It has RCA hookups as well as HDMI for use on analog TV's.  But I still wouldn't be able to watch local over-the-air broadcasts.  (not in the basement, anyway)
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 05:20:03 PM »
I took the two 27" TV's to the county recycling center last weekend.  132 pounds.  (I don't think they really weighed that much, I think he didn't reset the tare on the scale)  Cost me $33 to get rid of them.

My TV table is about 29 1/2 inches wide.  The feet on a 40" Vizio TV are also 29 1/2", so the 43" Vizio will be just a little wider.  Is it stupid to think I can put a 12" ceramic tile on each end of the table hanging off the side about 2 inches to extend it enough for the TV to fit?   ;/
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 03:49:57 PM »
The TV *and* a proper TV stand arrived yesterday; the sound bar and the Roku stick got here a few days ago.  I hooked it all up last night and am pleased with it.  I'm using the digital optical cable to connect the sound bar.  The Roku remote somehow figured out all on its own how to control the TV and sound bar power and volume.

With the Spectrum TV app, I can watch live TV and Charter "On Demand" shows with one important difference from watching them upstairs on the cable box -- the cable box disables pause, fast-forward, and rewind.  Their Roku app only disables fast-forward.  I told Wife I may get another Roku for the little bedroom TV and get rid of that cable box.  I don't know how much the rent is, but it's probably $5 or more per month.  So the Roku would quickly pay for itself even if we only used it like a converter box.  (too bad Spectrum doesn't have their app for Amazon Fire Stick; I could get rid of that cable box too)

I hooked up my old DVD player that hasn't been used in a couple of years, and it won't play a disk now.  I can hear it seeking but it doesn't read.  (probably just needs to be cleaned)  So I will probably scrap it and get a cheap Blu-ray player as originally planned (or a PS3 console) but no big hurry because there is so much content available on the Roku.
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 04:48:37 PM »
If you go gaming console then consider stepping up from the PS3 to something newer. You can get an xBox One S for $199 new now. With it you'll have native BluRay, support for all the streaming apps, and the ability to game locally if you or guests feel so inclined. I think Microsoft ditched the requirement for an xBox Live Gold account for streaming apps, making it needed only for multiplayer (online) gaming support. Add the Chatpad to the controller and you're golden for text searches.

Also, the console will functionally replace the Roku so no need to by another.

Brad
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 11:40:07 AM »
I went to Walmart last night on the way home from work.  I had a $10 e-gift card that Sam's Club sent me for some reason, and I thought Walmart had a Sony up-scaling DVD player with HDMI output for $38.  Turns out, that DVD player is not a stock item; it's an order from walmart.com and we ship it to the store item.  But they had a Sanyo blu-ray player marked down to $44, so I bought that, knowing the Sanyo brand ain't what it used to be.

The Sanyo works well enough, but everything about it screams "Cheap!".  There were no cables, no batteries for the remote, and no manual in the box.  There's a piece of paper that tells you to go online for the user's manual.  It clearly says on the box that there are no batteries and no cables so they get a pass on that, mostly  The worst thing is the remote itself.  It's a little less than half the size of a pack of cigarettes with way too many buttons for something that small and nothing is rubberized.  It's very easy to hit the Stop button when you meant Pause, and then you have to watch the FBI warning again and the previews that are not skippable, and then try to find where you left off.  And when you lose the remote or it breaks, I think the player is unusable.  OTOH, it was less than $50.

I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it, or take it back and order the DVD player that I wanted (which might be just as bad).  Probably keep it.  First-world problems  ;/
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 02:26:44 PM »
Sony up-scaling DVD player with HDMI output for $38.

Do yourself a favor and don't. You're throwing away $38 on tech that's been functionally obsolete for half a decade. $60 will get you a middle-of-the-road Samsung BluRay player.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:14:25 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 02:46:14 PM »
I would agree with Brad and say find yourself an Xbox One. If you don't want to spend the money on new, check Craigslist. It has a Blu-ray built in, and works with every streaming service out there. I haven't gamed on mine in almost a year; but it's still used every day. Amazon, Netflix, Hulu with live TV all run smoother on the Xbox than on a Roku.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 02:58:18 PM »
Xbone is the way to go.
My next teevee will be a 4k unit.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama